wow, so bam bam banned flavored tobacco

technically you didn't. technically you just showed people dying faster means they spend less money on healthcare than people with twice the lifespan. you didn't show burden, which would be indicated by people taxing the rest of society more because they can't pick up the health care costs themselves. Now, which group skimps out on their bill the most? Compare that group to the group most likely to smoke?

Socio-economic differences in smoking
http://www.americanlegacy.org/PDFPublications/Socio-Economic_Status_and_Smoking_Fact_Sheet.pdf
Working Class Matters: Socioeconomic Disadvantage, Race/Ethnicity, Gender, and Smoking in NHIS 2000

It's a 7 year difference in lifespan. Did you read the article, or are just trying to pick a fight?

Cigarettes are not illegal and if congress makes it illegal, they will start the largest smuggling and bootlegging industry since prohibition. Smoking is not illegal, it is a choice.

When I started smoking, I could buy a pack of cigarettes for 18 cents. Now, if I buy them by the carton, they are 5 dollars per pack. I can afford them. I choose to smoke.

$50 a carton? What are you smoking? They average about $70 a carton here.

It's a 7 year difference in lifespan. Did you read the article, or are just trying to pick a fight?
For the Dutch. Did you read the article? Here in America, it's more than 7 years.

Women Smokers Lose 14.5 Years Off Life Span - washingtonpost.com
Women Smokers Lose 14.5 Years Off Life Span
Are You A Smoker? Take 20 Years Off Your Life Span - Medicine.org
Smoking and Life Expectancy — Infoplease.com
Annual Smoking-Attributable Mortality, Years of Potential Life Lost, and Productivity Losses --- United States, 1997--2001

Interesting... CDC says well over a decade... Oh but, it's only a little decade, right? Nonetheless, you still haven't addressed burden in the least.

Cigarettes are not illegal and if congress makes it illegal, they will start the largest smuggling and bootlegging industry since prohibition. Smoking is not illegal, it is a choice.

When I started smoking, I could buy a pack of cigarettes for 18 cents. Now, if I buy them by the carton, they are 5 dollars per pack. I can afford them. I choose to smoke.

You obviously live in a higher tax state then Thinman or me. I pay just under $50 a carton.

For the Dutch. Did you read the article? Here in America, it's more than 7 years.

Women Smokers Lose 14.5 Years Off Life Span - washingtonpost.com
Women Smokers Lose 14.5 Years Off Life Span
Are You A Smoker? Take 20 Years Off Your Life Span - Medicine.org
Smoking and Life Expectancy — Infoplease.com
Annual Smoking-Attributable Mortality, Years of Potential Life Lost, and Productivity Losses --- United States, 1997--2001

Interesting... CDC says well over a decade... Oh but, it's only a little decade, right? Nonetheless, you still haven't addressed burden in the least.

I'm not in the mood to argue with you, because I really don't care.

the taxes will be gone when the tobacco is gone, an then they will screw something else over

you can feel bad about smokers health all you want but they brought it on themselves, its their choice
and yet, people making bad choices always winds up with the rest of society taking on the burden of their stupidity. But the fact is, the "choice" is pretty skewed. This isn't choosing which brand of laundry detergent you want to use, and changing your mind next week. The "choice" usually comes as a result of teenagers (illegal <18) being pressured into trying it for one reason or another, be it peers, media, what have you (after all, how is it that so many kids who can't legally buy cigarettes manage to smoke?) trying something, and becoming physically unable to stop. Physical dependence refers to LACK of choice. So no, you can't just pass this off as "their choice", nor should you turn a blind eye from an ethical standpoint either.

there is no burden on society, that is your excuse for trying to control behavior you personaly dont like.

most teens wont go near flavored tobacco, there is no peer pressure to try it. menthol being the exception and is somehow not part of the ban...hmmm

physical or psychological dependance is a known fact before the behavior begins, everyone has parents, and health class, are are taught about the risks involved. the risks are also apparent in society no one is going in eyes wide shut.

Last edited:

the ban is on flavored tobacco

Marlboro, I live in Calfornia. Of course, you can't smoke anywhere here, but you can still buy them. I'm moving to Las Vegas. People there don't treat smokers like scum.

How does a thread on smoking wind up in Food & Wine?

You obviously have not smoked a good DREAM

Absolutely heavenly. But they are no more because progressives want to take us backwards :evil:

How does a thread on smoking wind up in Food & Wine?

You obviously have not smoked a good DREAM

Absolutely heavenly. But they are no more because progressives want to take us backwards :evil:

i dont know what a dream is, but im going out tomorrow to buy some Nat Shermans flavored smokes before they are also gone. bought some primetimes the other day just to spite the ban, i dont even smoke.

Forum List

Back