Wow! Mcconnell vows to vote on nominee!

This is going to start a whole new round of crazy!

Jo

He really has no choice politically. If he doesn't put a butt in that seat, the Democrats probably take the Senate because clearly that is the prize. They may take it anyway but instead of academic ideas about what a Democratic Controlled Senate would do...it would be you elect this...you get that or you get 4 years of "no" if the blob wins. The hypocrisy may cost R's the senate but he'll keep his seat. He may lose that if he were to not be a hypocrite.
This will motivate every voter to get out and vote. Suspect they will have control of Supreme Court, but not likely to win the Presidency or keep the Senate.
I was thinking the same thing, but all the people it would piss off are already pissed off, so I'm not sure it would move the needle that much.

It will not be smooth sailing for Mitch ramming through a confirmation.

Right now, he has 50 votes with Murkowsky, Collins and Romney voting against a fast track confirmation.

Any other Senator facing a tight election or guilty conscience will sink the pick
Trump was voted in because of the endless amount of RINO's that are conveniently around. And when replaced, new ones appear. Thus keeping the movement to the left going. There have been people in primaries that have won but rules sprang up or local power families interfered in their installation to office. Thus we end up with this.

The Senate is not as solid Republican as McConnell thinks.

Right now, he has 50-50 on confirmation with Pence deciding.

This is going to start a whole new round of crazy!

Jo

Can Trump improve his chances by immediately electing a female judge? There was a Constitutional Christian who was a choice right he was struggling with before he chose Kavanaugh, right? Whether they to go a vote now or later, it helps Trump. It may help Trump even MORE if he says "wait until after the election"?

What does this do to the influence of the weak Never Trumpers? I've listened to you all for 4 years, and it's clear GOP voters don't want MORE people making up the law as they go, so, this will ensure a wave of support.

I think Trump is ballsy enough to force the vote now, he isn't a politician, he doesn't care if they dislike him or not.
Waiting isn't going to make the people who already hate him change their mind, that's for sure.

Yet just a few short years ago

Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell on Tuesday flatly rejected any person President Barack Obama nominates to the Supreme Court following the death of Justice Antonin Scalia, saying the voters should decide.

If the Communists had been in a majority that would have been different.

The Americans hold the Senate, so they get to decide, the Communists can go fuck themselves.
Picture a scenario where Hilary was president and Schumer was in control of the senate. Would all the democrat posters say they should hold off on a nomination?
Under Obama, Dems said the sitting president can fill a vacancy in an election year Republicans said you can’t.

Roberts votes left about 2/3 of the time now
He is a quisling
About 20% of the time, not 2/3s!
It seems very high the last few years
Now that Gator has “ gator rolled for good “; Mr Mitch needs to be strong

Mitch will do it.....but the 4 traitors....romney, murkowski (two republican members of the democrat party) and graham and collins....two coward rinos.....may block the nomination.......
Will voting no benefit their chances of grabbing power? The people who voted for them don't seem to care that they are democrats, so voting with the democrats might help them.

Right now, he has 50 votes with Murkowsky, Collins and Romney voting against a fast track confirmation.

Any other Senator facing a tight election or guilty conscience will sink the pick
Trump was voted in because of the endless amount of RINO's that are conveniently around. And when replaced, new ones appear. Thus keeping the movement to the left going. There have been people in primaries that have won but rules sprang up or local power families interfered in their installation to office. Thus we end up with this.

You mean not as solid party of trump? Republican party, not exactly a big tent party, trump party even less so.

After the election, if McSally loses to the Democrat, then it could be 49/51.... if the other 3 still deflect...... McSally's election is a special election, so the winner is seated in November.

There are a number of GOP senators who are up for re-election and are in tight races to keep their jobs. A decision to confirm a Trump nominee now could make a difference in November if enough people think doing so is a bad idea. I think there are many Dems who will not support Biden but might support a Dem senate candidate, and possibly enough winning Dem candidates might switch the Senate majority. Much as I'd like to see a Trump nominee replace RBG, I'd rather see it in the Spring of 2021, confirmed by a GOP Senate. And what I don't want to see is a Dem controlled House AND Senate next year. Making the decision NOT to confirm a replacement might help those GOPers in tight races.

Progs do not have conscience. There have been terrible people in the Congress. Harry Reid was one of the most vile and corrupted members. He was direct and succinct in his ways. Lying to destroy others even. He was a reason Trump was elected.

After the election, if McSally loses to the Democrat, then it could be 49/51.... if the other 3 still deflect...... McSally's election is a special election, so the winner is seated in November.
Good point

Mitch is counting votes. May force him to squeeze the process into six weeks while an election is going on

Progs do not have conscience. There have been terrible people in the Congress. Harry Reid was one of the most vile and corrupted members. He was direct and succinct in his ways. Lying to destroy others even. He was a reason Trump was elected.
Save me the partisan Bullshit

There are a number of GOP senators who are up for re-election and are in tight races to keep their jobs. A decision to confirm a Trump nominee now could make a difference in November if enough people think doing so is a bad idea. I think there are many Dems who will not support Biden but might support a Dem senate candidate, and possibly enough winning Dem candidates might switch the Senate majority. Much as I'd like to see a Trump nominee replace RBG, I'd rather see it in the Spring of 2021, confirmed by a GOP Senate. And what I don't want to see is a Dem controlled House AND Senate next year. Making the decision NOT to confirm a replacement might help those GOPers in tight races.
They are really damned if they do, damned if they don’t.

If they participate in a sham confirmation for partisan gain, it will hurt them in the election.

All we need is the completion of the Corporate takeover, :eek-52: by putting another so called conservative Republican, on the supreme court.....

You may get your reversal of Roe v Wade, but you will also get the SC ruling in favor of Big Corporation greed, over and above.... we the people....globalism gone wild.

False.....Dems had as much reason to vote Dem in 2016 -- seeing as tho the GOP already stole one SC pick that year....and they still refused to vote for HRC...why??

Because most dem voters don't vote beyond a current election -- republicans have always placed more value on packing the courts than they did on voting for the perfect candidate to be president - they could care less about that...

Keep in mind that the last 4 people republicans nominated to be their party's president are all people republicans claim to hate now -- only Dems have strapped this burden of only voting for the perfect candidate or else on themselves...

All we need is the completion of the Corporate takeover, :eek-52: by putting another so called conservative Republican, on the supreme court.....

You may get your reversal of Roe v Wade, but you will also get the SC ruling in favor of Big Corporation greed, over and above.... we the people....globalism gone wild.
Trumpers don't care about that -- they only pay lip service to being all anti-globalism for appearances.....

So theoretically, the Senate could never appoint another justice or judge...ever in your world right?

The way Harry Reid did under Bush?

Yup.

There is a difference between denying a nominee--voting them down---and not having a vote at all.

You're such a fraud - we had Judicial nominees held up for YEARS by you Communists when Bush was POTUS.

The solution is to add Supreme Court seats...add enough of them to the point that one justice dying doesn't cause a national crisis...add enough of them to the point that the future of 2 or 3 generations don't hinge on the opinions of 4 or 5 justices that Mitch McConnell happened to like....

As flawed as the founders were -- even they didn't conceive future lawmakers being this craven and full of shit....

They are really damned if they do, damned if they don’t.

If they participate in a sham confirmation for partisan gain, it will hurt them in the election.
Yep, but it would accomplish what Mitch set out to do by stuffing the courts with young, (unqualified, inexperienced) conservative federal judges that will be there the next 30-40 years, with the cherry on top, an unbalanced, conservative super majority supreme court.

He's old, and could retire earlier if he gets the SC pick through because his mission is accomplished....the hell with the rest of the republicans in the Senate.

Forum List

Back