Wounded Warrior gets double arm transplant

Luddly Neddite

Diamond Member
Sep 14, 2011
US Iraq War Vet Brendan Marrocco Receives Double Arm Transplant - ABC News

A team of surgeons at Johns Hopkins Hospital has performed the hospital's first successful bilateral arm transplant -- giving two new arms to Brendan Marrocco, an Iraq war veteran.

"I feel great. I'm doing a lot better now," said Marrocco, 26, during a news conference Tuesday of his recovery from last month's procedure. "It gives me a lot of hope for the future."

... "Six weeks ago today, a team of physicians and nurses helped restore the physical and psychological well-being of Brendan Marrocco, who lost both arms and legs serving our country nearly four years ago," said Lee. "Only six other [U.S. double hand or arm transplant] patients have been successful and Brendan's was the most extensive and complicated."

Marrocco lost his arms and legs when his unit was struck by an explosive fired projectile outside Baghdad. ...

With the new arms, doctors believe Brendan Marrocco's nerves will regenerate at a rate of one inch per month. That means Marrocco will continue to undergo extensive psychical therapy, including daily six-hour sessions of hand therapy for the next two years, first at the John Hopkins Hospital and then at Walter Reed National Military Medical Center...

The team of surgeons, physicians and nurses volunteered their services to make this transplant possible. The operation was donated by the Department of Defense and the John Hopkins Hospital.

He's part of the 47% the Rs hate and demonize.

But those who believe we OWE this courageous young man every possible way to get even part of his life back might want to update their organ donor card.

A team of surgeons at Johns Hopkins Hospital has performed the hospital's first successful bilateral arm transplant -- giving two new arms to Brendan Marrocco, an Iraq war veteran.

"I feel great. I'm doing a lot better now," said Marrocco, 26, during a news conference Tuesday of his recovery from last month's procedure. "It gives me a lot of hope for the future."

... "Six weeks ago today, a team of physicians and nurses helped restore the physical and psychological well-being of Brendan Marrocco, who lost both arms and legs serving our country nearly four years ago," said Lee. "Only six other [U.S. double hand or arm transplant] patients have been successful and Brendan's was the most extensive and complicated."

Marrocco lost his arms and legs when his unit was struck by an explosive fired projectile outside Baghdad. ...

With the new arms, doctors believe Brendan Marrocco's nerves will regenerate at a rate of one inch per month. That means Marrocco will continue to undergo extensive psychical therapy, including daily six-hour sessions of hand therapy for the next two years, first at the John Hopkins Hospital and then at Walter Reed National Military Medical Center...

The team of surgeons, physicians and nurses volunteered their services to make this transplant possible. The operation was donated by the Department of Defense and the John Hopkins Hospital.

But those who believe we OWE this courageous young man every possible way to get even part of his life back might want to update their organ donor card.

Warrior got hurt and lost his arms?.....what happened?....

Republicans hate and demonize? What the fuk? Didn't you ever see the Cindy Sheehan anti-war crowd demonstrate at the funeral of a fallen hero? Who spit on Vietnam Vets forty years ago?

Warrior got hurt and lost his arms?.....what happened?....

Did you READ the post? or the article?

Great news.

I would have thought the Repubs would want him to find a job and get health insurance so he can pay for this unnecessary surgery himself.

Forum List

Back