Would you vote for a president who didn't believe in god?

would you?

• nope

Votes: 6 23.1%
  • yes

Votes: 13 50.0%
  • maybe

Votes: 7 26.9%

• Total voters
I would favor a president who believed in the Christian God, but it would depend on what my choices were.

They wouldn't have a chance in hell, but it would be refreshing to have one candidate who actually had a fully functioning brain for a change.

All things being equal, no. "Not" believing in God shows horrible judgement.

Really? Osama Bin Laden believes in god and maybe someone like the Dalai Lama does not. Who would you rather have running things?

It's irrelevant. Someone who doesn't believe in gods can still lead and make good decisions.

Really? Osama Bin Laden believes in god and maybe someone like the Dalai Lama does not. Who would you rather have running things?

It's irrelevant. Someone who doesn't believe in gods can still lead and make good decisions.

I agree. An absence of traditional spirtitual beliefs does not necessarily mean an absence of morals.

Actually, Osama - and ALL muslims do NOT believe in God - they believe in a false god...

osama does not belive in the same god as dmp.....but you knew that and were just being dificult huh?

Actually, Osama - and ALL muslims do NOT believe in God - they believe in a false god...
osama does not belive in the same god as dmp.....but you knew that and were just being dificult huh?

You guys are both wrong. Muslims, Jews, and Christians (the Abrahamic religions) all believe in the same God and trace their roots to Abraham.

The differences begin after that...

God. Not god. Belief in God shows somebody is in tune with their creator on some level. It shows reason and responsibility. It shows Maturity. It shows acknowledgement of one's ultimate insignifigance from a universal perspective.

You guys are both wrong. Muslims, Jews, and Christians (the Abrahamic religions) all believe in the same God and trace their roots to Abraham.

The differences begin after that...

That's not really true. Muslims and Jews deny the divinity of Christ, so they don't believe in the same God as Christians.

???????????????

I would not vote for someone based solely on their belief or disbelief. However, a belief in God will drastically affect a candidate's worldview. An atheistic candidate would be more likely to have values that differ greatly from my own regarding issues like abortion, stem cell research, euthanasia, freedom of worship, etc. Since a candidate who didn't believe in God would more likely not agree with my stand on issues, I would be less likely to vote for him.

I would not vote for someone based solely on their belief or disbelief. However, a belief in God will drastically affect a candidate's worldview. An atheistic candidate would be more likely to have values that differ greatly from my own regarding issues like abortion, stem cell research, euthanasia, freedom of worship, etc. Since a candidate who didn't believe in God would more likely not agree with my stand on issues, I would be less likely to vote for him.
That's not always true. I've seen some conservative atheists in my days.

The original post did not specify a Christian god. Do Jews believe in the same god as Christians? There are plenty of people including the last Pope who think all three religions worship the same god.

No, I asked him a legitimate question. All right I'll rephrase so that we are talking about the "same" god. Pat Robertson ran for president and of course he believes in a Christian god. Is he more "mature" as DMP says than any number of atheists who could be the president?

I personally think he is an immature jackass. God or no God.

Forum List

Back