Would you vote for a liberal?

Would you vote for a liberal for President?

• Yes

Votes: 11 33.3%
  • No

Votes: 22 66.7%

• Total voters
there isn't any such thing as "classical liberal". made up nonsense by rightwingnuts
Ignorance is no excuse:

Classical liberalism is the philosophy committed to the ideal of limited government, constitutionalism, rule of law, due process, and liberty of individuals including freedom of religion, speech, press, assembly, and free markets.[1][2]

Classical liberalism developed in the 19th century in Europe and the United States. Although classical liberalism built on ideas that had already developed by the end of the 18th century, it advocated a specific kind of society, government and public policy required as a result of the Industrial Revolution and urbanization.[3] Notable individuals who have contributed to classical liberalism include Jean-Baptiste Say, Thomas Malthus and David Ricardo.[4] It drew on the economics of Adam Smith, a psychological understanding of individual liberty, natural law and utilitarianism, and a belief in progress. Classical liberals established political parties that were called "liberal", although in the United States classical liberalism came to dominate both existing major political parties.[1] There was a revival of interest in classical liberalism in the 20th century led by Friedrich Hayek and Milton Friedman.[5]

Classical liberalism - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

apologies, toro, for the derail... i can't stand the phrase "classical liberal" which the righties like to toss around.

i'll bow out now. :)

What is your objection to the phrase "classical liberal" Jillian?

A classical liberal is one who historically has wanted limited government interference in ones' lives. The term "liberal" has evolved over time, but I think it is perfectly consistent for one to call themselves a "classical liberal" if they believe in limited government power.

I'm torn on this one.

In Canada or the UK, where I've lived, there is no damn way I'd vote for a leftist. (The term "liberal" is different there than here.) But in America, I might. But that's probably just a reaction against too many people who believe in The Rapture or that Obama "might be" Satan on the Right than any real agreement with the American Left.

I highly doubt that if you are going to vote for one of the two major parties in 2012 that you will have a choice whether or not you will vote for a liberal. If you vote either party you will be voting for a liberal.

Immie

apologies, toro, for the derail... i can't stand the phrase "classical liberal" which the righties like to toss around.

i'll bow out now. :)

A classical liberal is one who historically has wanted limited government interference in ones' lives. The term "liberal" has evolved over time, but I think it is perfectly consistent for one to call themselves a "classical liberal" if they believe in limited government power.

well, i didn't want to derail your thread. but thanks for inviting my comments.

the term classic liberal is made up". it is what some people say now, but that isn't true. it's simply a means of vitiating liberal accomplishments. liberalism is simply what it always has been in most instances. the new deal was liberal. certainly no one would say the new deal was a 'small government' program. the EPA was liberal. certainly no one would say that is a small government program. OSHA is liberal. the great society program was liberal. anti-discrimination laws were liberal. desegregation was liberal.

none of those things were "small government".

the founders weren't "liberal". they were radical. they overthrew a government and would have been killed as traitors had they failed. but they were of their age... aristocrats who denied women the vote and who kept slaves. but unlike the people today who read the constitution as if it were a fundamentalist's bible, they understood that they couldn't foresee the future. had they truly believed in small government, there would be no general welfare clause; there would be no commerce clause. they knew government would grow into what the people needed.

what they did had nothing to do with "small government". that is a fallacy in the same vein as people who think they're "constitutionalists" while not understanding anything about constitutional construction.

liberal means that you want to advance society. conservatism means you want to keep change from happening. today's conservatives are reactionaries who want to return to the status quo ante which existed before those liberal advancements like anti-discrimination laws and social security.

thanks for indulging me on this.

She objects to reality. The term "classic liberal" is an indictment of modern liberalism, which bares no resemblance to the liberalism the Founding Fathers believed in.

Forum List

Back