Would You Remove?

Unkotare

Diamond Member
Aug 16, 2011
In Virginia, there is a statue honoring a Confederate soldier who fought for the rebels in several major battles of the American Civil War. He was eventually killed at the Battle of Chickamauga. Would any or all here be in favor of removing this monument, given how much rancor has been generated over such things in recent years?

Where is the statue and when was it erected?

It should never have been erected. Such memorials should be in dedicated facilities, privately owned.

What would sane Americans say about Nazi historical figures being similarly honored in Germany? The comparison is not that far off.

One of the first steps in destroying a country is to destroy its history.

That said, monuments to the warts are unnecessary.

It should never have been erected. Such memorials should be in dedicated facilities, privately owned.

What would sane Americans say about Nazi historical figures being similarly honored in Germany? The comparison is not that far off.

It is very far off.

To remove the statue would be akin to the Taliban, Al Qaeda, and ISIS destroying ancient historical monuments.

I know the Democrats are anxious to sweep their history under the rug but like they say, "Those who don't remember the past are doomed to repeat it."

In Virginia, there is a statue honoring a Confederate soldier who fought for the rebels in several major battles of the American Civil War. He was eventually killed at the Battle of Chickamauga. Would any or all here be in favor of removing this monument, given how much rancor has been generated over such things in recent years?
No. Enough of erasing history. We are turning into ISIS doing that shit.

You sure about that?

Fredericksburg

I have no problem with the statue in Fredericksburg
Great battle was fought there

There are many statues in Fredericksburg

That's weird.

I seem to recall you attacking not only them, but anyone that supports statues to them, as "traitors".
I have no problem with statues at battlefield sites

I do object to statues erected in City Hall during the Civil Rights period to put blacks in their place

Fredericksburg

That's weird.

I seem to recall you attacking not only them, but anyone that supports statues to them, as "traitors".

I do object to statues erected in City Hall during the Civil Rights period to put blacks in their place

1965 was during the Civil Rights era.

When and why it was erected is important. If it was erected soon after the civil war, it would be a historic monument commemorating the actions of the soldier. That is not when or why it was erected. Instead, it was erected in 1965, in the middle of the civil rights movement as an insult to those fighting for racial equality. If it was intended to honor him personally, instead of the segregation that he fought for, it would have been erected much sooner. Many confederate statues were erected near the same time, and for the same purpose. They are not historical monuments. They are political statements supporting segregation.

When and why it was erected is important. If it was erected soon after the civil war, it would be a historic monument commemorating the actions of the soldier. That is not when or why it was erected. Instead, it was erected in 1965, in the middle of the civil rights movement as an insult to those fighting for racial equality. If it was intended to honor him personally, instead of the segregation that he fought for, it would have been erected much sooner. Many confederate statues were erected near the same time, and for the same purpose. They are not historical monuments. They are political statements supporting segregation.

So you’d be for removing it?

I always liked this statue on the Fredericksburg battlefield ....very inspirational

battlefield-fredericksburg.jpg

Both sides stopped firing and cheered him on

Fredericksburg

That's weird.

Your arguments allowed no such distinctions.

Fredericksburg

That's weird.

1965 was during the Civil Rights era.

I know......but I do not object to statues at battlefields
That is where they belong

Forum List

Back