Would you like some oil with that oyster?

Accidents happen... nothing is completely safe... as long as the proper precautions were taken, it has to be considered just one of those things... does not mean we like the result of the accident... but we can't live as chicken littles

This could be bad.

NEW ORLEANS — Oil continued to pour into the Gulf of Mexico on Monday as the authorities waited to see if the quickest possible method of stopping the leaks would bring an end to what was threatening to become an environmental disaster.

Robots Working to Stop Oil Leak in Gulf of Mexico - NYTimes.com

Pay attention you idiots that want to destroy Florida.

Wouldn't be surprised if the explosion was caused by a bomb planted by an eco-terrorist group.

The leak is bad and its a terrible thing, so what are ya gonna do about? Going to stop using fossil fuels?

Well then turn off your electric, don't eat, drink, use, or purchase anything made from petroleum products, and don't drive a car, ride a train, take a bus, or use any form of transportation other than a horse or your own two feet.... if you do any of those things you are a hypocrite....

Thats the problem with this BS.. Its all hypocrisy to the extreme. They all want cheap energy, but don't want to use oil. Well a bit of reality here, the first and most harshly effected by any increases in costs for energy are going to be the poorest people first. Businesses can transfer the added cost onto consumers, and the wealthy will have money to pay for the difference. The ones who won't are the poor... Yeah the poor your side claims to be working for....

Its real easy to sit back and take the ideological standpoint when its just an ideological standpoint. When it becomes a way of life or a work in progress the whole perspective changes....

This could be bad.

NEW ORLEANS — Oil continued to pour into the Gulf of Mexico on Monday as the authorities waited to see if the quickest possible method of stopping the leaks would bring an end to what was threatening to become an environmental disaster.

Wouldn't be surprised if the explosion was caused by a bomb planted by an eco-terrorist group.

The leak is bad and its a terrible thing, so what are ya gonna do about? Going to stop using fossil fuels?

Well then turn off your electric, don't eat, drink, use, or purchase anything made from petroleum products, and don't drive a car, ride a train, take a bus, or use any form of transportation other than a horse or your own two feet.... if you do any of those things you are a hypocrite....

Thats the problem with this BS.. Its all hypocrisy to the extreme. They all want cheap energy, but don't want to use oil. Well a bit of reality here, the first and most harshly effected by any increases in costs for energy are going to be the poorest people first. Businesses can transfer the added cost onto consumers, and the wealthy will have money to pay for the difference. The ones who won't are the poor... Yeah the poor your side claims to be working for....

Its real easy to sit back and take the ideological standpoint when its just an ideological standpoint. When it becomes a way of life or a work in progress the whole perspective changes....

I'll be back to comment in a minute. I need to go check the synthetic oil in my windmills gearbox.
Yes. I'm serious.
Here's my neighbor cleaning his ditches before the heavy rains begin. I power his house too..and 2 others.
My other neighbor has a waterwheel that powers an entire pueblo.

Attachments

• $oxen.JPG
    $oxen.JPG
    60 KB · Views: 115
  • $ox-cart.jpg
    $ox-cart.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 115
Last edited:
The gulf and the coast of Florida are homes to hundreds of oil seeps. The amount of gas that leaks out of the ground off the coast of Florida can be so much that it constitutes a hazard to shipping and aviation. It is part of the natural process out there.

This one here is way bigger than normal, but nature processes this kind of thing on a routine basis out there.

This could be bad.

I'll be back to comment in a minute. I need to go check the synthetic oil in my windmills gearbox.
Yes. I'm serious.
Here's my neighbor cleaning his ditches before the heavy rains begin. I power his house too..and 2 others.
My other neighbor has a waterwheel that powers an entire pueblo.

So if you live in a 3rd world country, why do mention Florida instead someplace you are close to or have a vested interest in?

You aren't going to try and tell me those livestock pulling the cart are US domestic are you? i hope not....

As to your use of synthetic oil.... might want to look into the ingredients in synthetic oil. The ingredients that go into synthetics by and large come from petroleum by-products. THings like olefin.... olefin comes from oil refining.......

Oil refinery - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Specialty end products

These will blend various feedstocks, mix appropriate additives, provide short term storage, and prepare for bulk loading to trucks, barges, product ships, and railcars.
Gaseous fuels such as propane, stored and shipped in liquid form under pressure in specialized railcars to distributors.
Liquid fuels blending (producing automotive and aviation grades of gasoline, kerosene, various aviation turbine fuels, and diesel fuels, adding dyes, detergents, antiknock additives, oxygenates, and anti-fungal compounds as required). Shipped by barge, rail, and tanker ship. May be shipped regionally in dedicated pipelines to point consumers, particularly aviation jet fuel to major airports, or piped to distributors in multi-product pipelines using product separators called pipeline inspection gauges ("pigs").
Lubricants (produces light machine oils, motor oils, and greases, adding viscosity stabilizers as required), usually shipped in bulk to an offsite packaging plant.
Wax (paraffin), used in the packaging of frozen foods, among others. May be shipped in bulk to a site to prepare as packaged blocks.
Sulfur (or sulfuric acid), byproducts of sulfur removal from petroleum which may have up to a couple percent sulfur as organic sulfur-containing compounds. Sulfur and sulfuric acid are useful industrial materials. Sulfuric acid is usually prepared and shipped as the acid precursor oleum.
Bulk tar shipping for offsite unit packaging for use in tar-and-gravel roofing.
Asphalt unit. Prepares bulk asphalt for shipment.
Petroleum coke, used in specialty carbon products or as solid fuel.
Petrochemicals or petrochemical feedstocks, which are often sent to petrochemical plants for further processing in a variety of ways. The petrochemicals may be olefins or their precursors, or various types of aromatic petrochemicals.

yeah, also the lubricants, lightweight plastics, and many other things used in the manufacture of windmills are most likely from some kind of petroleum product....

oil isn't just powering vehicles or in motor oil, its in medicine, chemicals, and even food packaging.

So you can drive a cart pulled by Brahman (or some such animal) all you want, it won't change a thing.... The world right now runs on oil and more so than most of us can imagine....

More oil and petroleum products enter the water supply as run off from roads every year than the oil leaked from this rig.

More oil and petroleum products enter the water supply as run off from roads every year than the oil leaked from this rig.
:cuckoo:
"That's our main oyster-producing area," said John Tesvich, a fourth-generation oyster farmer with Port Sulphur Fisheries Co. His company has about 4,000 acres of oyster grounds that could be affected if the spill worsens.
If the oyster grounds are affected, thousands of fishermen, packers and processors might have to curtail operations.
Worse, Tesvich said, it's spawning season, and contamination could affect young oysters. But even if the spill is mostly contained, he said, oil residue could get sucked in by the oysters.
Oysters, nesting birds face threat from Gulf of Mexico oil spill | News for Dallas, Texas | Dallas Morning News | Texas Regional News

:cuckoo:
"That's our main oyster-producing area," said John Tesvich, a fourth-generation oyster farmer with Port Sulphur Fisheries Co. His company has about 4,000 acres of oyster grounds that could be affected if the spill worsens.
If the oyster grounds are affected, thousands of fishermen, packers and processors might have to curtail operations.
Worse, Tesvich said, it's spawning season, and contamination could affect young oysters. But even if the spill is mostly contained, he said, oil residue could get sucked in by the oysters.
Oysters, nesting birds face threat from Gulf of Mexico oil spill | News for Dallas, Texas | Dallas Morning News | Texas Regional News

Because this one spill will have a concentrated impact on a relatively small area does not disprove my claim.

Sad. Oyster po'boys are one of the best meals on the face of the earth.
That's what I hear, but I just can't do it. Not a fan of hepatitis A (or B or C).
They fry them so you won't catch anything. I do not like raw oysters but cooked...yum!
Raw is my favorite way to eat them. But, good point about their cooking them in a po boy. Maybe some day I'll give a po boy a shot.

Maybe.

This could be bad.

At least an oil spill is concentrated and can be attacked using several options. More troubling is all the garbage collecting in the oceans because humans are such slobs.

Scientists study 'garbage patch' in Pacific Ocean - CNN.com

Here's what scientists do know: They know the size of this zone is huge, maybe as big as Texas. And they know that all the plastic accumulated in the patch has mostly broken down into smaller bits, floating just under the water's surface like confetti, basically a soupy mix of plastic-filled seawater that stretches for maybe thousands of miles.

They know the garbage patch has been growing for many years, and scientists first became aware of the problem years ago when fisherman reported encountering widespread debris. They know there are other debris fields in other oceans of the world, but this one is the biggest.

Forum List

Back