Would the founding fathers would consider America a failure?

Does present day America reflect the founding fathers vision?

• Yes

Votes: 9 47.4%
  • No

Votes: 5 26.3%
  • Undecided

Votes: 5 26.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
The founders were not of one mind, just as Americans are not today. I think some would be surprised the nation is still functioning, as is the government. And lo and behold the government is pretty much as they intended and left. Only 15 new Constitutional Amendments added to theirs.
At this very moment I think they would see a flaw in the Constitution that allows some malfunctioning of the government and would offer suggestions. Maybe Jefferson would be upset that our attempt at education has not worked as he had hoped. Others might be upset that too much progress has been made and others not enough progress. In all, I think they would be pleased, as most of us should be.

Jefferson abhorred a powerful central government, especialy the treasury. :eek:

Then Jefferson became president and his party took control of the government, and bingo, the government didn't seem quite as evil. Jefferson even went outside the Constitution a mite and bought Louisiana--with borrowed money.

I've always felt that appeals to what the founders would think of today's government or society are silly at best.

Not only were they far from agreed about what should or should not be part of the government, it is impossible to know how the progression in technology, population, etc. since the beginnings of the country would factor into their thinking.

What the founders may have thought at the time isn't even a very good indicator of how they would feel about the modern US. I don't think it can be stressed enough just how much change has occurred between their time and now. For all we know, the founders would set up a far different system if asked to do so today.

If it isn't clear, I fall into the 'undecided' camp on this. :tongue:

Would the founding fathers would consider America a failure?

I think they would be amazed that we have not yet risen up in revolt to overthrow the central planners.

Were the founders the first central planners?

While it is true that our Constitution was a move towards a stronger federal government compared to the Articles, we've clearly taken the basic idea of limiting government through enumerated powers and handed it over to REAL central planners. And they're just SURE they know what's best for everyone...:doubt:

Read the 10th Amendment. The Bill of Rights did not apply to the States until SCOTUS invented "reverse incorporation" in 1925.

Forum List

Back