Worst Season for Club Regulars

DGS49

Diamond Member
Apr 12, 2012
Pittsburgh
This is the time of year when fitness clubs are most crowded, and there are lots of people who don't know the customary courtesies. They leave their shit on a machine while they go to do whatever it is they are doing and so on. Play with their phones for 15 minutes between sets, while sitting on the machine/bench.

Presumably, the crowds are the result of people's New Year's Resolutions and people getting club memberships as gifts for Christmas.

By mid-February, the newbies will be a distant memory.

It happens every year. If everyone who is paying monthly dues ever showed up, the clubs would have permanent gridlock. But it never happens, eh?

When I retire next month, I'm going to join the health club because I'll be able to work out in the mornings and afternoons, when I'm hoping less people will be there.

This is the time of year when fitness clubs are most crowded, and there are lots of people who don't know the customary courtesies. They leave their shit on a machine while they go to do whatever it is they are doing and so on. Play with their phones for 15 minutes between sets, while sitting on the machine/bench.

Presumably, the crowds are the result of people's New Year's Resolutions and people getting club memberships as gifts for Christmas.

By mid-February, the newbies will be a distant memory.

It happens every year. If everyone who is paying monthly dues ever showed up, the clubs would have permanent gridlock. But it never happens, eh?

I found that it was more cost effective to get a range of machines and a complete set of free weights to convert a spare bedroom into a workout room, complete with a mirror wall and blutooth sound system ... In clement weather, something we don't see often in my neck of the woods, I have been known to move the bench and weights out to the patio for fresh air.

No one is around to bother you, or be bothered by you and I actually get some workout time without the social interruptions.

I have had both a home gym and gone to various clubs. While it's not the cheapest route, I prefer clubs, because of the variety of machines and weights. There are always aches and pains that inhibit me from doing what I might want to do, but in a club there is always an alternate bench or device that allows me to work that muscle group without pain.

I pay about $225 per year for my LAFitness membership, and it's good all over the country, so when I travel I can always find a gym. And they are almost all good-quality gyms. My wife switched her Medicare supplement to one that includes Silver Sneakers, so she doesn't pay anything. That's probably the best option, but I like my Supplement and don't want to experiment with something new.

Fake gyms like Planet Fitness base their entire business model on signing up as many causal people as possible, and then banking on the hope that most of them will stop showing up after a couple visits. They even have “lunk alarms” to discourage serious lifters.

A real non-chain or small-chain gym actively encourages people to keep coming

Forum List

Back