Worst Rifle Ever Made?

DudleySmith

Diamond Member
Dec 21, 2020

The Thompson Autorifle, as it was called, used a very coarse screw to delay the bolt opening, and required oiled felt pads in the magazine to lubricate the cartridges as they fed. It was a particularly long and unwieldy rifle as a result of it’s unusually long receiver, and is known today for having ejection so forceful that it could actually stick cases into wooden planks placed close to the shooter. Needless to say, it did not fare very well in trials and was dropped from consideration not long after this, the Model 1923.

lol

What is your vote? I would go with some of those early handgonnes form the 14th Century, maybe.

All hail Ian McCollum....Gun Jesus. :)

lol don't know if he is or not, I just like his site. I don't know enough about firearms myself to make that call. I'm just glad as a left hander I never got to shoot that thing, it would have cut my friggin' arm off most likely.

The Thompson Autorifle, as it was called, used a very coarse screw to delay the bolt opening, and required oiled felt pads in the magazine to lubricate the cartridges as they fed. It was a particularly long and unwieldy rifle as a result of it’s unusually long receiver, and is known today for having ejection so forceful that it could actually stick cases into wooden planks placed close to the shooter. Needless to say, it did not fare very well in trials and was dropped from consideration not long after this, the Model 1923.

lol

What is your vote? I would go with some of those early handgonnes form the 14th Century, maybe.
Jeez, if that gun had made it into the hands of enough armies it could have won some humanitarian awards.

wow, just noticed one sold for $54 grand ....

Auction Date: May 1, 2016​

Estimated Price: $40,000 - $60,000
Price Realized: $54,625
1675206746968.png

Looks (almost) like a cheap Chinese replica of a Lee Enfield

The forgotten weapons site has a lot of Chinese knockoffs to check out. At first I thought it was a 1903 Springfield model, looked like my grandfather's 30-40, but too long.

Forum List

Back