Rookie
Feb 14, 2011
Packerland!
What are some memorable clunkers?

My list at the moment:

Ishtar
2001: A Space Odyssey
Santa Claus (1985, Dudley Moore)

Yeah, yeah, I know 2001 is a "classic" but I found it excrutiatingly boring. Of course, the first time I watched it was about 5 years ago so I have no idea if I would have liked it when it was new and the special effects were cutting edge.

Titanic
Michael (Travolta as an angel)
Almost anything by Oliver Stone...subtlety isn't in his vocabulary

Full Metal Jacket.

Contrary to the opinion of nearly every filmologist, this movie is an embarrassment.

The first half, boot camp, is pretty good. Very good, really

The second half, in View Nam, reminds me of a WWII jingo movie. It's totally unbelievable.

It looks like some kid who never served imagined what it must be like to be in country.

Marines in combat situations clusterfuck, take stupid heroic risks and act like something from a John Wayne movie.

Stupid as hell, really. An insult to anybody who served in VN

Last edited:
What are some memorable clunkers?

My list at the moment:

Ishtar
2001: A Space Odyssey
Santa Claus (1985, Dudley Moore)

Yeah, yeah, I know 2001 is a "classic" but I found it excrutiatingly boring. Of course, the first time I watched it was about 5 years ago so I have no idea if I would have liked it when it was new and the special effects were cutting edge.

I liked 2001 after reading the book. You're right though, I started it twice and fell asleep both times before reading the book. Third time + the book was a charm though. I REALLY liked it after the book.

Top on my clunker list is Ed Wood. Johnny Depp DID make at least one bad flick.

Full Metal Jacket.

Contrary to the opinion of nearly every filmologist, this movie is an embarrassment.

The first half, boot camp, is pretty good. Very good, really

The second half, in View Nam, reminds me of a WWII jingo movie. It's totally unbelievable.

It looks like some kid who never served imagined what it must be like to be in country.

Marines in combat situations clusterfuck, take stupid heroic risks and act like something from a John Wayne movie.

Stupid as hell, really. An insult to anybody who served in VN

Full Metal Jacket is another one I started twice and slept good both times.

:eusa_think: Anyone read the book?​

Eyes Wide Shut
Fargo (yeah, yeah, yeah... I know... they're geniuses... blech).
Definitely, Eyes Wide Shut. And, it wasn't just because I had high hopes for it. Irrespective of who the director was, it sucked.

Fargo was and is freakin' comedy genius! I laugh just thinking of it.

Eyes Wide Shut
Definitely, Eyes Wide Shut. And, it wasn't just because I had high hopes for it. Irrespective of who the director was, it sucked.

I'm with Princess jillian on Fargo. I did NOT get the humor.

Eyes Wide Shut

the thing with eyes wide shut that made me crazy was him running around england, in an area that was supposed to be greenwich village, ny, showing his "doctor i.d. to get in to search places.

i just found the characters in fargo really unpleasant. they weren't anyone i wanted to spend time with... even to enjoy their badness.

Eyes Wide Shut

Granted, it is a pretty dark...very dark...humor.

(Folks in the sciences often like such dark humor - just my experience.)

Granted, it is a pretty dark...very dark...humor.

(Folks in the sciences often like such dark humor - just my experience.)

I guess I'm just more of an artist at heart. Not my cup o' tea.

Doesn't life in 21st Century America just ROCK with all the stuff and choices and gizmos and gadgets? :cool:

Forum List

Back