Worst Job You Ever Had

tonystewart1

VIP Member
May 26, 2011
McDowell County, WV
What is the worst job you ever had?

Mine was a glass cutter for a window factory. 115 degrees in the shop and constantly bleeding from small cuts on my hands. They where not big on personal protective equipment.

Post High School, Pre college, maid at a hotel/ desk clerk, graveyards. Cool thing about the job was the hotel was the town's weather station and I broadcast maritime weather across a large portion of the state.

I was a fish monger when I was a kid. My hands swelled up to twice their size, they would crack and not bleed and I smelled like fish all the time.

Picking bricks up out of a conveyor belt from dirt and limbs and stuff out in the sun in 90 degree heat. Had to watch for copperheads or rattlesnakes that were mixed in too. We were taking up kilns buried in the dirt and salvaging the bricks for a brick company. By noon I was covered with dirt, sweat and who knows what.

Also worked one winter for a pig farmer, cleaning the barns out of pig manure, castrating hogs, slopping around in the mud and snow with temperature around 0.

And a few more ...

Hawking commodities contracts for what turned out to be a criminal organization.

After a few weeks it became apparent to me that the products I was selling were dubious investments designed to rip off my clients, so I walked.

A week or so later the FBI shut the place down and arrested everybody working there.

I had nothing to do with the FBI busting the place, but I got a call from one of the brokers afterwards, who was clearly trying to determine if I'd dropped a dime of the place. I suspect they'd have killed me if I had. Turns out this really was an organized crime activity.

Had I known what it later it turned out the FBI knew about how crooked this scam was, I would have dropped a dime on those crooks.

College summer job in a metal welding/stamping plant. The equipment was all early 20th century. Dangerous smelly 11pm to 7am shift. By the last week there, I was puking in the bathroom.
Decent wage for the 70's though.

gunna be tuff to top editec

tree planting

3 teens were given poles to ram holes in the ground and put a pine sappling in. rain, shine, mud, gravel.

How many of you have heard this on the job;

"Dude. Is that a razorback?"

a china shop for one of the kennedys in blowing rock nc......the owners were just pricks...wouldnt pay on time...etc....the work was not hard just the owners were impossible...shipping and receiving was my job...which i enjoy

Civilian: UPS. Started unloading containers from the planes in Ontario California. Jr. Supervisor comes around, says I'm moving too slow so I speed it up. Sr. Supervisor comes around says I'm moving too fast and risking injury to myself and damage to the boxes so I slow it down. Jr. Supervisor comes back around says I'm moving too slow so he's gonna' write me up. I say "Fuck you, I quit!" :lol:

Military: Latrine Detail. Burning Shit! (puking optional!) Dig hole, pickup buckets of Baby Ruths and lemon juice from under the improvised shitters, dump concoction in hole, add diesel fuel, burn that shit then fill in the hole.

My first job, I worked in a dog kennel for $1 an hour. Nothing smells worse than mounds of dog sh*t I felt sorry for the poor animals who lived in a three by three cage

Wheel barrowing cement on narrow board planks in order to build columns for a pier in a bay during a summer in Ocean City, N.J. when I was in my late teens. It was hot, humid, with greenhead flies landing and biting me while I was working. Had to keep my arms on the wheelbarrow handles so it didn't fall with cement into the water below. It was semi-torturous mind over matter to do the job.

Forum List

Back