Worst case scenario - oil spill

Ravi

Diamond Member
Feb 27, 2008
Hating Hatters
This is truly frightening. If this much oil spills out daily in the next three months (the time BP estimates it will take to cap the well), wouldn't the entire Gulf of Mexico and beyond end up covered with an oil slick?

A leaked report from the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration's Emergency Ops document dated April 28 has the Coast Guard preparing for a worst case release that could potentially become an unchecked gusher meaning that instead of releasing 5,000 barrels a day or 210,000 gallons a day, it would release 50,000 barrels a day, or 2.1 million gallons a day.
"The following is not public," reads the report, "Two additional release points were found today. If the riser pipe deteriorates further, the flow could become unchecked resulting in a release volume an order of magnitude higher than previously thought."
The concern is that kinks in the piping and a deteriorating wellhead is what is currently controlling the flow to 5,000 barrels a day. The other concern is that sand which is an integral part of the formations that normally holds the oil under the Gulf is essentially sandblasting the pipe. The formation that was being drilled by the Deepwater Horizon is reported to have tens of millions of barrels of oil.
"The loss of a wellhead, this is totally unprecedented," said Ron Gouget, a former oil spill response coordinator for the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration. "How bad it could get from that, you will have a tremendous volume of oil that is going to be offgassing on the coast. Depending on how much wind is there, and how those gases build up, that's a significant health concern."
"We'll take help from anyone," Doug Suttles, chief operating officer of BP's exploration and production unit, said on NBC's TODAY show.

"We're not interested in where the idea comes from, what we're interested in is how do we stop this flow and how do we stop it now?" Suttles said.

Oil spill feared could become unchecked gusher, Governor Crist declares state of emergency

Well BP might be doomed. If this oil goes everywhere in the Gulf several other countries will be involved and they will all want a piece of BP.

It was a real laugh riot when it happened up in Alaska where no one of any consequence did any sunbathing.

This thing will change everything for drilling. From here on out it will be safe or it won't be allowed.

If I owned BP stock I would have already sold everything.. this thing is gonna hit so hard it will leave a crater on the trading room floor.

Does anyone know...how big exactly would an oil slick become at that level of output?

Well.. at least Obama has the SWAT team working on it and made all those preparations to control it..

Does anyone know...how big exactly would an oil slick become at that level of output?

It's already well over a million gallons. If it takes 3 months to cap it as suggested..10-20 million gallons. Within six months every beach in every country in the Gulf will be slicker than Clinton. Here is an interesting possibility...BP goes bankrupt and the shit rolls uphill to whomever granted the oil lease. Ultimately these FREE leases might come back to bite us in the ass.

It's already well over a million gallons. If it takes 3 months to cap it as suggested..10-20 million gallons. Within six months every beach in every country in the Gulf will be slicker than Clinton. Here is an interesting possibility...BP goes bankrupt and the shit rolls uphill to whomever granted the oil lease. Ultimately these FREE leases might come back to bite us in the ass.
Yeah, I was thinking about that, too. I can't see BP surviving this and I just read they are self-insured ... in other words, they have to pay the cost of clean up out of their own pockets.

Not that it will matter much to me if the Florida coast is trashed.

Just what the economy needs. Another fucking huge government bailout.

Yeah, I was thinking about that, too. I can't see BP surviving this and I just read they are self-insured ... in other words, they have to pay the cost of clean up out of their own pockets.

Not that it will matter much to me if the Florida coast is trashed.

Just what the economy needs. Another fucking huge government bailout.

Obama's Lawyers will fix everything Ravi. Only a week late out of the gate. No problem. ;););)

DATE: April 30, 2010 18:37:09 CST
Principal level meeting on oil spill response
"At the request of the President, Assistant to the President for Homeland Security John Brennan, held a principals-level meeting today which lasted for more than an hour to discuss the oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico and ensure that the resources of the federal government are fully integrated in the response to the incident. The following senior officials participated: Secretary of Homeland Security Janet Napolitano, Secretary of Interior Ken Salazar, Secretary of Defense Robert Gates, Admiral Mike Mullen, EPA Administrator Lisa Jackson, Rear Admiral Mary Landry, Deputy Secretary of Interior David Hayes NOAA Administrator Jane Lubchenco and Assistant to the President for Energy and Climate Carol Browner."

Principal level meeting on oil spill response

http://www.piersystem.com/go/doc/2931/535371/

Last edited:
The comparison to Katrina has been stupid. It should more correctly be compared to Three Mile Island or Chernobyl. I can't even get my mind around the future of Oil Exploration, which is what this was.. The insurance for future exposure to the capability to do this safely will be beyond calculating. There won't be a politician on the wrong side of this ..anywhere. Nothing like a mind boggling disaster to bring out the bi-partisanship.:lol::lol:

:lol:.. Yes if Bush were President he certainly wouldn't be blamed.. after all.. Katrina was a natural disaster and he was blamed for that..

This is under Obama Regime Regulation and hardly natural..

Well.. at least Obama has the SWAT team working on it and made all those preparations to control it..

Ok, I read that a few days ago. I don't understand. Why are SWAT teams being dispatched? That doesn't make sense unless there is some form of threat.

The comparison to Katrina has been stupid. It should more correctly be compared to Three Mile Island or Chernobyl. I can't even get my mind around the future of Oil Exploration, which is what this was.. The insurance for future exposure to the capability to do this safely will be beyond calculating. There won't be a politician on the wrong side of this ..anywhere. Nothing like a mind boggling disaster to bring out the bi-partisanship.:lol::lol:

Considering the depth, this is in a class all by itself. We need to take a serious look at capability and response at Federal, State, and Industry levels, for the future. We are not the only ones with rigs out there. You are in Florida Huggy, so it's more close to home. Years back I rescued more than a few sea birds on the central California coast, it's nasty. It's going to be a long hot summer down your way.

I'm very curious to know more of the specifics in relation to cause, and response. It seems wires were crossed, causing delay. Our capability to deal with this type of contingency appears very lacking. We should fix that.

Ok, I read that a few days ago. I don't understand. Why are SWAT teams being dispatched? That doesn't make sense unless there is some form of threat.

My guess.. Obama wants to add oil companies to the list of Government entities..

:lol:.. Yes if Bush were President he certainly wouldn't be blamed.. after all.. Katrina was a natural disaster and he was blamed for that..

You really are somewhat of an ignorant hack fuckwit...Eh?...LumptyDumpty? I ... did some research this morning looking at exactly that topic.. Regs ...and found nothing tying Obama to any oil rig regulations. Frankly it was impossible in the time I had to find out exactly who was in charge when the regs were put in place.

Good job sparky..way to bring it..:lol::lol: Leave it to a halfwit like yourself to open his pie hole with absolutely zero evidense.:lol::lol:

You really are somewhat of an ignorant hack fuckwit...Eh?...LumptyDumpty? I ... did some research this morning looking at exactly that topic.. Regs ...and found nothing tying Obama to any oil rig regulations. Frankly it was impossible in the time I had to find out exactly who was in charge when the regs were put in place.

Good job sparky..way to bring it..:lol::lol: Leave it to a halfwit like yourself to open his pie hole with absolutely zero evidense.:lol::lol:

Sweet... I've been blitzkrieged by Huggy.. although I don't think it's your best work.. let me give you another try...

Where does the Buck stop for Democrat Presidents.. you sweet lovable bowl of charm..

Sweet... I've been blitzkrieged by Huggy.. although I don't think it's your best work.. let me give you another try...

Where does the Buck stop for Democrat Presidents.. you sweet lovable bowl of charm..

My appologies...It just hasn't been my best day..or as you have rightfully pointed out...my best work.:lol:

Forum List

Back