Worrying about what's fair

Wiseacre

Retired USAF Chief
Apr 8, 2011
San Antonio, TX
People in this country worry too much about what's fair instead of what's right. Sure most of us want justice, a square deal compared with everybody else. We don't like it when the gov't helps the guy down the street with his mortgage but not us. We don't like bailouts for some companies but not others, and we don't like to see some people getting a free ride at the taxpayer's expense. But the issue of fairness distracts us from what we should be focusing on, which is what we need to be doing to improve our situation ourselves rather than how much we can get from the gov't or somebody else.

Most of us are willing to pay more taxes if the money is needed and is well spent, but these days both conditions are somewhat questionable. With so much fraud, waste, and corruption around, who can really say what is really needed and certanly how well our tax dollars are used. I'll tell you what I think is fair - how about gov't at all levels show me how effective my money is being spent BEFORE they ask me to give 'em more.

I think we should be more concerned with equality of opportunity than inequality of income. We should be more focused on improving our education and training systems, NOT by throwing more money at them but by using more effective ways of teaching and learning. Teacher's unions in this country are one reason why our kids are falling behind other nations; these unions are more concerned with their own money and power than they are with their basic responsibility, which is to graduate students who are better prepared to take their place as productive members of our society.

I think we should be more concerned with more competition in the marketplace. That's the beauty of the free enterprise system, more competition breeds more opportunities if th gov't stays out of the way. It isn't gov'ts job to pick winners and losers according to political ideology, like we are today. They're basically just there to ensure nobody cheats. If at first you don't succeed, tough shit. Pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and try again. We shouldn't be guaranteeing fairness of results, but rather providing second and third chances.

We need to stop worrying about what's fair and start thinking about what works. What can we do to grow the economy and create more jobs. We need to stop thinking about what we deserve and instead think about what we can do to earn more.

When it is unfair TO ME, it's not right.

When it is unfair TO ANYBODY ELSE, it may be right.

Isn't that pretty much the way most of us think?

Fairness, is not a dirty word....i realize some may be using it in that manner....!

but being Fair is what is right and just....and we should always strive for that imo.

Fairness, is not a dirty word....i realize some may be using it in that manner....!

but being Fair is what is right and just....and we should always strive for that imo.

Fair, equal opportunity.

Not govt forced / manipulated fair, equal results.

I think that depends on who gets to define what is fair. Right now, it's a bunch of left wing lunatics who could not give a damn about what is really fair.

I have just one question regarding 'fair'. Is it in the Constitution that the government has the remit to decide what is 'fair'?

CAligirl opines

I think that depends on who gets to define what is fair.

Spot on!

As with so many debates here what a word means is often the real issue.

Fair, equal opportunity.

You liked Jim Crow laws?

Sorry, when there are unjust things being done as a matter of course, then it is time for the government to step in.

I think that depends on who gets to define what is fair. Right now, it's a bunch of left wing lunatics who could not give a damn about what is really fair.

I have just one question regarding 'fair'. Is it in the Constitution that the government has the remit to decide what is 'fair'?

Well, yes, it is in the governments domain to decide what is 'fair'. We decided that with the phrase 'all men created equal'. At present, the way our laws read, we have decided that it is 'fair' for 2% to have most of the wealth in the nation. We have also decided that it is 'fair' for all to be afforded equal oppertunity, no matter what the shade of their hide.

Fair, equal opportunity.

You liked Jim Crow laws?

Sorry, when there are unjust things being done as a matter of course, then it is time for the government to step in.

Legislated illegality does not equal fairness.

CAligirl opines

Spot on!

this is what fair means:

fair

1    /fɛər/ Show Spelled [fair] Show IPA adjective, fair·er, fair·est, adverb, fair·er, fair·est, noun, verb
adjective

1.free from bias, dishonesty, or injustice: a fair decision; a fair judge.

When it is unfair TO ME, it's not right.

When it is unfair TO ANYBODY ELSE, it may be right.

Isn't that pretty much the way most of us think?

What a perfect definition of....

THE BIGOTS' CODE!!!!

241.png

CAligirl opines

Spot on!

this what fair means:

fair

1    /fɛər/ Show Spelled [fair] Show IPA adjective, fair·er, fair·est, adverb, fair·er, fair·est, noun, verb
adjective

1. free from bias, dishonesty, or injustice: a fair decision; a fair judge.

Great, now show me where, in the Constitution, the Government is remitted to decide what is fair - according to the dictionary definition.

Just so you know, I find those who respond with a dictionary definition to be somewhat ridiculous.... but, I'll cut you some slack because I know you are not a fool.

CAligirl opines

Spot on!

this what fair means:

fair

adjective

1.free from bias, dishonesty, or injustice: a fair decision; a fair judge.

Great, now show me where, in the Constitution, the Government is remitted to decide what is fair - according to the dictionary definition.

Just so you know, I find those who respond with a dictionary definition to be somewhat ridiculous.... but, I'll cut you some slack because I know you are not a fool.
being fair is a MUST for our gvt, any other way, would be wrong....an injustice....our entire constitution and eventually added amendments, is based on being 'fair'....allowing our freedom of religion, is fair....allowing freedom of speech is fair, giving blacks citizenship and all other rights of the whites is fair, giving us the right to not have to testify against ourselves is fair, the right to privacy is fair....etc etc etc....

and trying to change ''fair or fairness'' in to a dirty word just because some politicians are bastardizing the word and using it wrongly, is not the way to go...to handle the misuse, imo....

Yeah.....

...the 13th, 14th and 15th Amendments!!!!
2. The Congress shall have power to enforce this article by appropriate legislation.

I suspect that those who scream the loudest about fairness are not exactly free from bias, nor are they entirely honest about it either. And as for justice, is it really just to force some to pay for the injustices done to others and by others?

I suspect that those who scream the loudest about fairness are not exactly free from bias, nor are they entirely honest about it either. And as for justice, is it really just to force some to pay for the injustices done to others and by others?
Wise, what specifically are you talking about on what i hilighted in bold?

Forum List

Back