World Cup is Boring as Hell

When I was an encyclopedia rep back in the ought-70's my boss was this big jolly British fellow.
Basketball was his favorite sport because every possession was an attempt to close a deal. LOL
That guy was whack. I got him stoned once and it got a little too weird.
He was married to a cute New Zealand redhead who'd never heard of the Indy 500.

The problem with the World Cup is that they are playing soccer. If they could fix that part they might be onto something.

A 90 minute soccer game ending in a 0-0 or 1-0 score is ridiculous.

But so is a basketball game ending with a score of something like 140-125.

Solution:

In soccer eliminate or at least modify the off-side rule.

In basket ball place the basket 30 feet from the floor so that the game will not be dominated by stretched genetic freaks.

I've seen 3 draws (one finished 1-1, the others 0-0) and one 1-0 result. That's 4 games out of 19 total so far that detractors of the sport would classify as stinkers. The other 15 have been excellent adverts for the game. And as the weaker teams are eliminated, it will only get better in the knockout rounds.

Furthermore, It's amusing that our detractors conveniently ignored the 5-1 drubbing of Spain, the 2-1 USA win, the 2-1 win by Italy over England, The 3-1 upset of Uruguay by Costa Rica, the 3-2 classic between Australia and the Dutch just today and of course the elimination and demolition of Spain by Chile 2-0. Doesn't support the narrative I suppose though.

I digress however. By all means....let's keeping ignoring the 54 goals that have been scored so far. Anything not to mess up the tired, cliched" not enough goals" gimmick.

I've seen 3 draws (one finished 1-1, the others 0-0) and one 1-0 result. That's 4 games out of 19 total so far that detractors of the sport would classify as stinkers. The other 15 have been excellent adverts for the game. And as the weaker teams are eliminated, it will only get better in the knockout rounds.

Furthermore, It's amusing that our detractors conveniently ignored the 5-1 drubbing of Spain, the 2-1 USA win, the 2-1 win by Italy over England, The 3-1 upset of Uruguay by Costa Rica, the 3-2 classic between Australia and the Dutch just today and of course the elimination and demolition of Spain by Chile 2-0. Doesn't support the narrative I suppose though.

I digress however. By all means....let's keeping ignoring the 54 goals that have been scored so far. Anything not to mess up the tired, cliched" not enough goals" gimmick.

54 goals, the sum of all the goals from all the games....lol. So what?

54 goals, the sum of all the goals from all the games....lol. So what?

Correction: 2 more goals scored since my last post. We're now at 56 goals. :D

But nooooo.....not enough goals get scored in soccer, dontcha know?

My point stands, this competition has provided nearly endless action and entertainment even to those who don't watch the sport much. It will obviously not be attractive to everyone, but to target 1 or 2 games and then generalize the entire sport as boring is pretty disingenuous.

When I was an encyclopedia rep back in the ought-70's my boss was this big jolly British fellow.
Basketball was his favorite sport because every possession was an attempt to close a deal. LOL
That guy was whack. I got him stoned once and it got a little too weird.
He was married to a cute New Zealand redhead who'd never heard of the Indy 500.

But she had heard of threesomes though, right ?

Last edited:
A 90 minute soccer game ending in a 0-0 or 1-0 score is ridiculous.

But so is a basketball game ending with a score of something like 140-125.

Solution:

In soccer eliminate or at least modify the off-side rule.

In basket ball place the basket 30 feet from the floor so that the game will not be dominated by stretched genetic freaks.

Play soccer on a 80yd long by 40yd wide field, and I guarantee you the action would speed up dramatically and be much more exciting.

Meh, its ok

XhbKpZO.gif

That is slightly under 2 goals per hour of play time.

Of course the more games that are played, the more goals that will be made. I'm sure that over the last hundred years thousands of goals have been scored. However, I'm confident that most people watch one game at a time.

Hey, if you like soccer, good for you. The World Cup is a great time to be a soccer fan!

Last edited:
Here's a clue to all of you who think that the World Cup is boring:

DONT WATCH IT!

Problem solved. We who love it don't care about your opinions or wether you watch or not.

Heres a clue for all you people who don't like threads that talk about how boring soccer is:

DONT READ THEM!

Problem solved. Those of us who do like these threads don't care about your opinions.

Last edited:
A third rate , third world sport of endless monotony ....

Third world sport? You're a dope. It is the biggest sport in the world, period. It is also the greatest sport in the world, period. Just because it hasn't yet evolved in the US does not make it a third world sport. If you don't like it, that's your choice, but don't diss on it when you have no clue. Maybe you should take a vacation to one of those third world countries like Germany, England, Italy, Russia, Japan, Brasil, Argentina, Chile, The Netherlands, Switzerland, or any of the many others. You might just learn that there is life outside of the US.

Like watching paint dry.....my cat will watch a roach for an hour without blinking but this bullshit lady boy game will put him to sleep in a second.

Yea, who wants to watch a sport where one score can be so important. Better to watch a basketball game where all they do is run up and down the court scoring at will. :cuckoo:

I will say this:
Pros:
(1) They go continuously and no commercials.
(2) Like hockey goals are exciting.
(3) You have to respect the level of skill, agility, athleticism and endurance.
(4) You can play it anywhere and it's a cheap sport.
(5) It's fun to play, I used to love it in my youth
(6) World's most watch and beloved sport. That has to count for something.

Cons:
(1) It's boring. The ball goes back and forth back and forth with very few real shots on goal.
(2) Way to many 0-0 games.
(3) The first goal most of the time wins the game.
(4) Americans don't dominate. That means something to Americans.
(5) Again it's boring. I watch a US game once I walked away and came back an hour later and I truly missed NOTHING.
(6) THE FANS - biggest bunch of cock suckers out there. Even in the US, the fans boo during the national anthem when we plan Mexico!

I personally can't get into soccer. It's just too boring!

Soccer is played like a chess match where the objective is to not lose. No aggressive moves, just wait for your opponent to make a mistake

Since you are not trying to score a goal, your next tactic is to fake a foul and get an easy penalty kick

Games settled by a shootout transform a game where it is nearly impossible to score to one where it is nearly impossible not to score

Wow, a game based on not losing

That's why it's boring.

The problem with the World Cup is that they are playing soccer. If they could fix that part they might be onto something.

Actually they are playing football. There, I fixed it for you.

If they were playing football it would actually be worth watching. Soccer is fine recreation for women and children, but no reason to waste time when there are real sports to play and/or follow.

Forum List

Back