World Cup : Cricket

Schedule: The Pool B match will begin at 2:30 p.m. local time on Sunday in Melbourne, 10:30 p.m., Saturday, EST.

2015-02-16t031306z_1869452423_gm1eb2f16ik01_rtrmadp_3_cricket-world-ind-pak.jpg

After getting their defense of the World Cup off to a perfect start by beating fierce rivals Pakistan in Adelaide, India face one of the favorites for the title, South Africa, at the famed Melbourne Cricket Ground on Sunday. With a record audience for a cricket match thought to be watching on television sets around the world, India defeated their neighbors by 76 runs to make it six wins out of six against Pakistan in World Cups. It was a morale-boosting victory for an India side that had come into the competition after a miserable run of form in one-day internationals and was contesting their first World Cup match since 1987 without legendary batsman Sachin Tendulkar. But Tendulkar is among those who believe that the meeting with South Africa will be a very different proposition.

“It won't be so easy to pick singles,” Tendulkar told Headlines Today TV, according to the Times of India. “They [South Africa] are much faster, their throwing arm is more powerful and their outfielding ... they cover the area much better than Pakistan.”

India had looked vulnerable ahead of the highly anticipated contest with Pakistan after failing to win a single match in the Tri-Series with Australia and England last month. But Tendulkar’s heir-apparent as the star of the India team, Virat Kohli, stepped up to the mark, firing 107 to lead Mahendra Singh Dhoni’s side to a total of 300-7 when batting first. And Kohli stated afterward that he was relishing the weight of expectation that comes with comparisons to the great Tendulkar.

“It’s a really big compliment,” he said, reports Sky Sports. “Expectations are going to be there when you do well for your country but I just look to stand up to them because I hate losing. It’s probably one of the biggest innings I’ve had in my career so far and just an amazing day for us to start this World Cup -- a very important, pressure-filled game against Pakistan.”

While Kohli lived up to the pressure on his shoulders, South Africa’s star, and the man ranked as the best batsman in the world in the 50-over format, AB de Villiers struggled to a score of 25 before being dismissed against unfancied Zimbabwe. At the time he was dismissed, South Africa had fallen to 83-4 and looked in some danger of falling victim to a major upset. But David Miller and JP Duminy fired a record one-day international fifth-wicket partnership of 256 to post a strong total, before South Africa’s bowlers did the rest to see them prevail by 62 runs in Hamilton.

“I am very happy at the performance, we had a really good game today,” he said, according to ABC Australia. “There is no doubt that [the pitch] played a good part in getting them ahead early on as it was a really difficult wicket to bat on in the first 15 to 20 overs. It got easier and luckily David and JP made full use of that and played exceptionally well in that great partnership that won us the game today.”

South Africa arrived at the World Cup highly fancied, with a batting lineup led by De Villiers and Hashim Amla and a bowling attack spearheaded Dale Steyn. But they also face the burden of trying to win the trophy for the first time, having previously succumbed to a number of spectacular failures in the latter stages. Their record against India at the World Cup is significantly healthier, however, having won all three of the countries’ previous meetings on the big stage.

Prediction: This should be an enthralling contest that could go right down to the wire, with the evidence of this World Cup so far suggesting whoever bats first could have a key advantage. But South Africa’s batting may just be too strong for the Indian bowling attack.

India vs. South Africa Cricket World Cup 2015 Match Prediction Preview And Schedule

India crush South Africa by 130 runs in Melbourne. That was an even bigger win than India's win over Pakistan. I was somewhat anxious about this game because South Africa was a favored to win the World Cup this year. India will play UAE next. After that win, quarter final will be assured for India.

South Africa will play West Indies in Sydney on Friday.

---

_81160525_shikhar_dhawan_ap.jpg

Shikhar Dhawan hit a superb century as defending champions India maintained their unbeaten start to the World Cup with a 130-run win over South Africa.
India's 307-7 was built around Dhawan's 137, while Ajinkya Rahane made 79 off 60 balls and Virat Kohli 46.

South Africa were bowled out for 177 with 9.4 overs unused as Faf du Plessis's departure for 55 sparked a collapse of seven wickets for 44 runs.
The defeat was South Africa's heaviest in World Cup history.

India, who remain top of Pool B with two wins from two games, face the United Arab Emirates in Perth on Sunday, when victory will all but secure their place in the quarter-finals.

Fifth-placed South Africa play West Indies in Sydney on Friday, but the manner in which they subsided on a blameless surface cast doubts on their tag as one of the pre-tournament favourites.

BBC Sport - Cricket World Cup 2015 India crush South Africa in Melbourne

Last edited:
The World Cup this year is being held in Land Down Under. This is a video of the opening ceremony. The video is not of a good quality but this is the best I could find.

Last edited:
Here is another video of the opening ceremony highlights. This is of much better quality.

Remember last week when Roger Federer held up an Indian cricket jersey before the Cricket World Cup and it caused a stir in Pakistan because how dare Roger Federer choose sides in a sporting event of all things? Well, because everybody is far too sensitive these days and Pakistan got crushed by India and lost its second game too, Federer had to issue an apology on Sunday before playing a tournament in Dubai. In the apology, Federer blamed it all on Nike.

Roger Federer apologizes for holding up India cricket jersey thus diffusing international incident For The Win

The 2015 Cricket World Cup is nearing the halfway point of its group stage, and the cream is already rising to the top. Reigning champ India has looked stellar so far, while host nations Australia and New Zealand are on the fast track to breaking out of group play. All three of those teams are currently unbeaten, and they’re joined by Ireland as the four teams yet to suffer a loss.

India Australia In The Hunt For 2015 Cricket World Cup s Unbeaten Bonus - Forbes

India crush South Africa by 130 runs in Melbourne. That was an even bigger win than India's win over Pakistan. I was somewhat anxious about this game because South Africa was a favored to win the World Cup this year. India will play UAE next. After that win, quarter final will be assured for India.

---

Shikhar Dhawan hit a superb century as defending champions India maintained their unbeaten start to the World Cup with a 130-run win over South Africa.
India's 307-7 was built around Dhawan's 137, while Ajinkya Rahane made 79 off 60 balls and Virat Kohli 46.

South Africa were bowled out for 177 with 9.4 overs unused as Faf du Plessis's departure for 55 sparked a collapse of seven wickets for 44 runs.

India, who remain top of Pool B with two wins from two games, face the United Arab Emirates in Perth on Sunday, when victory will all but secure their place in the quarter-finals.

Fifth-placed South Africa play West Indies in Sydney on Friday, but the manner in which they subsided on a blameless surface cast doubts on their tag as one of the pre-tournament favourites.

Yeah...a 130 run win is pretty good.
But, try a eight wicket win over England in 12 overs.
They went to lunch in the second innings requiring (from memory) 14 runs!!!
Southee McCullum trample England Cricket ESPN Cricinfo
England subsided to 123 in 33.2 overs after deciding to bat first - their out-of-form captain Eoin Morgan limping to 17 off 41 balls - and lost their last seven wickets for 19 in eight overs as they had no answer to Southee and a suffocating fielding performance. "It's a bit of a blur at the moment," a rather shocked Southee said at the end of the innings which came so soon that New Zealand had time to bat, and almost win, before the interval.

As if to mock England, McCullum then surged to a record fifty - and the third-fastest in all ODIs - breaking his own mark, to complete one of the most embarrassing days of England's one-day history and one of New Zealand's most famous.

---

Yeah...a 130 run win is pretty good.
But, try a eight wicket win over England in 12 overs.
They went to lunch in the second innings requiring (from memory) 14 runs!!!
Southee McCullum trample England Cricket ESPN Cricinfo
England subsided to 123 in 33.2 overs after deciding to bat first - their out-of-form captain Eoin Morgan limping to 17 off 41 balls - and lost their last seven wickets for 19 in eight overs as they had no answer to Southee and a suffocating fielding performance. "It's a bit of a blur at the moment," a rather shocked Southee said at the end of the innings which came so soon that New Zealand had time to bat, and almost win, before the interval.

As if to mock England, McCullum then surged to a record fifty - and the third-fastest in all ODIs - breaking his own mark, to complete one of the most embarrassing days of England's one-day history and one of New Zealand's most famous.

I was just glad to see James Anderson and Moen Ali sour faced. Southee completely rammed through England even though the wicket did not have any grass on it. Imagine how lethal this guy would have been if there were grass on the wicket.

Great Indian win over the mighty UAE team Vikrant.

Great Indian win over the mighty UAE team Vikrant.

Win is a win. You never want to underestimate any team although UAE has long way to go before they can be taken seriously in the World Cup.

idb,

It looks like Aussies made you guys work for the victory :)

Yeah, it was a terrific game...all the better that the good guys won of course.
I never left the couch except to go to the fridge all game.
Mind you, it was all over in five and a half hours.

idb,

The fact that New Zealand bowlers restricted two good teams to low scores in two successive matches tells me that their bowling is at the top of their game right now. I was pretty impressed with Australia as well. They almost snatched the game from you guys. I think both Australia and New Zealand have high quality batteries of pace attack. I noticed there was no grass on this wicket either yet it was a low scoring game. (It was not a turning wicket either). I was under impression that Aussies like green pitches. I am surprised to see all these grass less pitches. I am not sure what the strategy is here from an Australian perspective.

idb,

The fact that New Zealand bowlers restricted two good teams to low scores in two successive matches tells me that their bowling is at the top of their game right now. I was pretty impressed with Australia as well. They almost snatched the game from you guys. I think both Australia and New Zealand have high quality batteries of pace attack. I noticed there was no grass on this wicket either yet it was a low scoring game. (It was not a turning wicket either). I was under impression that Aussies like green pitches. I am surprised to see all these grass less pitches. I am not sure what the strategy is here from an Australian perspective.

You're right - there's a real buzz about the New Zealand team around the country.
They're playing aggressively and well.
The game was played in NZ and the pitch is a drop-in one - I understand that the pitches are being prepared to favour the batsmen.
It's a small ground so the score was expected to be a high-scoring one.

idb,

You're right - there's a real buzz about the New Zealand team around the country.
They're playing aggressively and well.
The game was played in NZ and the pitch is a drop-in one - I understand that the pitches are being prepared to favour the batsmen.
It's a small ground so the score was expected to be a high-scoring one.

Oh yes, I almost forgot that New Zealand is co-hosting the tournament.

Forum List

Back