Workers going back to school without help from GOP

deanrd

Gold Member
May 8, 2017
Trump tried to save their jobs. These workers are quitting anyway.

At a time when the Trump administration argues that creating manufacturing jobs is a critical national goal — even coordinating with states on generous subsidy packages to woo blue-collar employers — many factory workers are making a surprising decision: They’re quitting.

And Glenn, 53, is going back to school.

“I didn’t want to suffer another 15 years in there,” he said.

Glenn said he noticed robots creeping into the plant about 18 months ago. A blue-and-gray machine bumped him to another spot in the factory, he said, which pushed a younger employee into a lower-paid role. (Carrier did not comment on the factory’s technological changes.)

“We would have to be ignorant to look away from automation,” he said. “It’s taking things over.”

Brenda Battle, 55, also took the buyout in July after a quarter-century of working at Carrier.

She said she got lonely after a robot arrived, making her two-person job a one-person job. She disliked the absence of friendly chatter and named the machine after a five-letter expletive.

“That thing was scary,” she said.

----------------

Automation isn't coming. It's here.

• Banned
What about people whose jobs were automated? Do you right wingers still believe those jobs are "coming back"?

Smart move. Get an education and learn a skill. Don't hope that big gubmint will bring back a low-skill, high salary job that there's no longer a demand for.

He's just stating an obvious point (automation advances in a technical era) and then over-reaching to blame it on Trump. When OP realized how fumbling his first post sounded, he followed up with a second post antagonizing right wingers. he's just here looking for a fight.

Trump tried to save their jobs. These workers are quitting anyway.

At a time when the Trump administration argues that creating manufacturing jobs is a critical national goal — even coordinating with states on generous subsidy packages to woo blue-collar employers — many factory workers are making a surprising decision: They’re quitting.

And Glenn, 53, is going back to school.

“I didn’t want to suffer another 15 years in there,” he said.

Glenn said he noticed robots creeping into the plant about 18 months ago. A blue-and-gray machine bumped him to another spot in the factory, he said, which pushed a younger employee into a lower-paid role. (Carrier did not comment on the factory’s technological changes.)

“We would have to be ignorant to look away from automation,” he said. “It’s taking things over.”

Brenda Battle, 55, also took the buyout in July after a quarter-century of working at Carrier.

She said she got lonely after a robot arrived, making her two-person job a one-person job. She disliked the absence of friendly chatter and named the machine after a five-letter expletive.

“That thing was scary,” she said.

----------------

Automation isn't coming. It's here.

Approximately ten percent of the US workforce works in manufacturing. IT is double that in Germany.

That difference is not because Europe has less automation technology.

It is because of trade policy.

That is millions of jobs that the Left just wants to give up on.

They have no concern about getting jobs for Americans. THey don't believe that Americans can compete, or do it.

They are happy to have the government take care of those that lose jobs, or to give government "help" to those that get shitty jobs.

BUt they have no interest in getting or keeping, or bringing back jobs.

Correll for the win! Spot on about Germany's amazing manufacturing strength and most of those German businesses are privately owned, multi-generational. It keeps towns strong (unlike our rust belt) and the country strong. The difference is govt policy and ours has been run by globalists. Personally, I have globalist mindset as does Germany but that doesn't eliminate common sense self interest.

• Banned
Correll for the win! Spot on about Germany's amazing manufacturing strength and most of those German businesses are privately owned, multi-generational. It keeps towns strong (unlike our rust belt) and the country strong. The difference is govt policy and ours has been run by globalists. Personally, I have globalist mindset as does Germany but that doesn't eliminate common sense self interest.
The company I retired from was half here and half in Germany. I worked with German engineers for years. They are no better than engineers here and trying to fire anyone in Germany is nearly impossible with so much government involvement. You have no idea.

Smart move. Get an education and learn a skill. Don't hope that big gubmint will bring back a low-skill, high salary job that there's no longer a demand for.

But surely the govt should be seeing the writing on the wall and changing education at teenager level to reflect these changes. Instead of learning literature.

The company I retired from was half here and half in Germany. I worked with German engineers for years. They are no better than engineers here and trying to fire anyone in Germany is nearly impossible with so much government involvement. You have no idea.

SO, if our engineers are just as good, then I want just as many manufacturing jobs for Americans.

Forum List

Back