Words Words Words

Blues Man when you write a cheque and you need to check it's correct, do you check the cheque or check the check?

Do you check you have enough cheques, or do you check you have enough checks?

Blues Man the difference between English and American English is, Americans treat English as phonetic, but it isn't.

When I was in Haltwhistle, I was asked for directions to "Cluff"? It's Cleugh, which is pronounced, "Clue".

I've been asked directions to, "Burgf-by-Sands", it's actually, "Burgh-by-Sands", pronounced, "Bruff-by-Sands".

True English is not straight forward, it separates the US and the UK, but both work.

The stats went up to 2018, in case you didn't realise -

And in the last 5 years they have been static?

I don't live in the past like you seem to. And FYI the people on your little overcrowded Island aren't the entire population.

And in the last 5 years they have been static?

I don't live in the past like you seem to.
You do, you're American, you're stuck in 1776.

Imshi - It was a word my mother used a lot when we were kids. It's a military world meaning, "Go away, be off", more of an Australian military word, but commonly used in England.

You do, you're American, you're stuck in 1776.

Imshi - It was a word my mother used a lot when we were kids. It's a military world meaning, "Go away, be off", more of an Australian military word, but commonly used in England.
No actually I live in the very modern world where people don't need to write checks anymore.

Unlike you backwards arseholes.

No actually I live in the very modern world where people don't need to write checks anymore.

Unlike you backwards arseholes.
Tyrannical governments, must have guns everywhere etc.. that's what you bellends keep coming out with. Get up to date you skanks.

I gave you a Scottish phrase for you to ponder with your superior "butchered" American English.
On the contrary, we know how to take diverse ingredients and create a more eclectic, palatable linguistic recipe than the bland ingredients are in pure form.

On the contrary, we know how to take diverse ingredients and create a more eclectic, palatable linguistic recipe than the bland ingredients are in pure form.
Two things, many Americans can't/don't grasp the Scottish accent/dialect.

Also, Webster gave you a dumbed down version of English so there was no need for you to use both brain cells.

Two things, many Americans can't/don't grasp the Scottish accent/dialect.

Also, Webster gave you a dumbed down version of English so there was no need for you to use both brain cells.
On the contrary, we have a far more diverse verbal palette than you do, and have the ability to emulate other dialects far better than you can emulate ours. Our nation dwarfs yours in resources of all kinds, including intellectual resources.

Maybe this can be a word of the day type thread? I think it would be fun.

I'll start with a word that I just heard for the first time a couple months ago and I have been pondering the meaning quite a lot.

sonder n.
the realization that each random passerby is living a life as vivid and complex as your own — populated with their own ambitions, friends, routines, worries and inherited craziness — an epic story that continues invisibly around you like an anthill sprawling deep underground, with elaborate passageways to thousands of other lives that you'll never know existed, in which you might appear only once, as an extra sipping coffee in the background, as a blur of traffic passing on the highway, as a lighted window at dusk.

I have always loved poetry and song lyrics as literary art forms as well as sociology, psychology and philosophy and I did have a realization of this concept and in fact applied it as the "Walk a mile in another's shoes" but i think sonder is a much deeper concept

This word encompasses so much of all these varied interests of mine that I find it fascinating. Maybe we as people should realize this concept. it might just make us all a little kinder to each other.
16th Century word -

Trumperiness

Forum List

Back