Women as Superheroes (TV)

DGS49

Diamond Member
Apr 12, 2012
Pittsburgh
It is getting more and more ridiculous. One TV program after another is introducing 115# women who - we are supposed to believe - can beat up armies of assailants and send men cowering to their corners in fear. They are expert marksmen, 200 IQ geniuses, and gorgeous babes, all rolled into one.

In the new show, "Intelligence," we are supposed to believe that the U.S. Secret Service nominated its most fearsome and effective agent - taken directly out of the President's security squad - to watch out for and protect the Josh Holloway character. She is a 26-year-old, 105 pound model-type. In the first episode, she beats up about a dozen guys - some with one-punch knockouts - while shooting a couple others, proving that she is, indeed, the most ferocious of personal bodyguards.

In Person of Interest, we have two tandem female ball-busters (apparently they will be taking the place of Jesus Christ, aka "John"), neither one of whom tips the scales at 115 pounds, who are able to beat up, subdue, and intimidate all manner of cops, bad guys, and genetic mutants. And we're supposed to believe this.

The babes in NCIS and NCIS-LA regularly beat up guys who weigh twice what they do. And like professional wrestlers, they are never cut or bruised in the process, and never complain about sore hands after they knock people out. Odd, that.

And on, and on. Just about every police-type program now has at least one of these women who can supposedly kick mens' asses without hardly trying.

Interestingly, people who actually KNOW SOMETHING about fighting and self defense generally recommend that in a male-female physical confrontation, the female's best option is to either poke them in the eye or kick them in the nuts then RUN LIKE HELL! Because the man is two or three times strong than the woman, no matter how great a condition she is in.

I wonder how many young women are watching these programs and getting the idea that if they are ever attacked by a man they will be able to knock the guy out with one punch.

I'm starting to feel about TV writers and producers the same way I feel about Congress. Every couple years they should fire all of them and start fresh.

Female superheroes have been exaggerated for a long time.

Wonder-Woman-Sprinkles-and-Booze.jpg

It is getting more and more ridiculous. One TV program after another is introducing 115# women who - we are supposed to believe - can beat up armies of assailants and send men cowering to their corners in fear. They are expert marksmen, 200 IQ geniuses, and gorgeous babes, all rolled into one.

In the new show, "Intelligence," we are supposed to believe that the U.S. Secret Service nominated its most fearsome and effective agent - taken directly out of the President's security squad - to watch out for and protect the Josh Holloway character. She is a 26-year-old, 105 pound model-type. In the first episode, she beats up about a dozen guys - some with one-punch knockouts - while shooting a couple others, proving that she is, indeed, the most ferocious of personal bodyguards.

In Person of Interest, we have two tandem female ball-busters (apparently they will be taking the place of Jesus Christ, aka "John"), neither one of whom tips the scales at 115 pounds, who are able to beat up, subdue, and intimidate all manner of cops, bad guys, and genetic mutants. And we're supposed to believe this.

The babes in NCIS and NCIS-LA regularly beat up guys who weigh twice what they do. And like professional wrestlers, they are never cut or bruised in the process, and never complain about sore hands after they knock people out. Odd, that.

And on, and on. Just about every police-type program now has at least one of these women who can supposedly kick mens' asses without hardly trying.

Interestingly, people who actually KNOW SOMETHING about fighting and self defense generally recommend that in a male-female physical confrontation, the female's best option is to either poke them in the eye or kick them in the nuts then RUN LIKE HELL! Because the man is two or three times strong than the woman, no matter how great a condition she is in.

I wonder how many young women are watching these programs and getting the idea that if they are ever attacked by a man they will be able to knock the guy out with one punch.

I'm starting to feel about TV writers and producers the same way I feel about Congress. Every couple years they should fire all of them and start fresh.

In Person of Interest, the actress that plays Carter, Taraji P. Henson, is listed at 145 lbs. :tongue:

I'm pretty sure that people who know something about fighting know that almost everything they see on television is dramatized BS. It doesn't matter if it's the men or women doing it, almost none of it is even vaguely realistic.

Forum List

Back