Woman Tears Down Boys Memorial - 'People Have Mourned Enough'

Noomi

Ninja Kicker
Jul 6, 2012
Australia
Woman tears down boy s memorial because there s been enough mourning - Yahoo!7

Little boy was hit and killed by a car in October last year, and since then, there has been a memorial at the place of his death.
A woman decided enough mourning was enough, and came armed with a shopping bag and scissors, where she proceeded to chop and snip, tear and rip up the memorial, and stuff it in her bag.

A neighbor called the police, who were disgusted with her actions.
The memorial is now back in place.

Makes me wonder what the hell is wrong with people.

Link for the article broken. Perhaps the woman had a boy/girl die and could not stand driving by the reminder of a tragic child's death twice a day. I did not read the article so I don't know. I see the roadside memorials and I understand the reasoning but I also question the appropriateness of the expression.

To me, that woman had no right to do such a thing, even if she happened to be the boy's mom! :mad: :mad: :mad:

God bless you and his family always!!!

Holly

P.S. When I saw the name of this chat, the first thing that I thought about was what I heard NASCAR driver Tony Stewert say on whatever news station it was that I saw him on like a day or so after Dale Earnhardt's fatal crash took place. He actually had the nerve to say that his biological clock never once stopped for Dale and that to him it was time for everyone else to get over what it was that had happened to Dale. To this day, I still can not stand that disrespectful word that I can not say!!! We'll get over losing those that we care about when we are good and ready too!!! :mad: :mad: :mad:

Little boy was hit and killed by a car in October last year, and since then, there has been a memorial at the place of his death.
A woman decided enough mourning was enough, and came armed with a shopping bag and scissors, where she proceeded to chop and snip, tear and rip up the memorial, and stuff it in her bag.

some people are just bitches.

nothing else.

Next this woman will be stared by somebody the wrong way .... and she will strangle the person??

A bit of self control please.

we have one here that has been up for at least 10 years....and it is still maintained along a freeway on the fence....

she needs attention

I bet .... well ...that's the sort of thing they do when they need attention.

poor soul.

Yes it does Noomi.
Makes you also wonder what might be wrong with her mentally.
3 1/2 months for mourning is not long enough at all.
It seems like it would be good to keep it there forever, to remind future children how dangerous it is not to look before you go out into the street.

There has been a small memorial (a cross with flowers nailed to a tree) down the road from my place for many months now. No one would dare to remove it. Its a reminder of where a person lost their life. To have someone come along and tear it down would be cruel.

• Thanks
Reactions: Vox
There has been a small memorial (a cross with flowers nailed to a tree) down the road from my place for many months now. No one would dare to remove it. Its a reminder of where a person lost their life. To have someone come along and tear it down would be cruel.
What about the situation where the memorial has deteriorated over time? This memorial originally had inflated balloons, but in its present state does not seem as fitting a tribute to the departed loved one. It's sort of the same situation I think as the presence of wilted flowers next to a tombstone in a cemetery. Most of the time they get removed by the groundskeeper.

9u2ypa7a.jpg

qymutesu.jpg

You are a thoughtful person, Noomi.

"The next period of mourning is known as shiva (seven, because it lasts seven days). Shiva is observed by parents, children, spouses and siblings of the deceased, preferably all together in the deceased's home. Shiva begins on the day of burial and continues until the morning of the seventh day after burial. Mourners sit on low stools or the floor instead of chairs, do not wear leather shoes, do not shave or cut their hair, do not wear cosmetics, do not work, and do not do things for comfort or pleasure, such as bathe, have sex, put on fresh clothing, or study Torah (except Torah related to mourning and grief). Mourners wear the clothes that they tore at the time of learning of the death or at the funeral. Mirrors in the house are covered. Prayer services are held where the shiva is held, with friends neighbors and relatives making up the minyan (10 people required for certain prayers).

The Sabbath that occurs during the shiva period counts toward the seven days of shiva, but is not observed as a day of mourning. If a festival occurs during the mourning period, the mourning is terminated, but if the burial occurs during a festival, the mourning is delayed until after the festival.

The next period of mourning is known as shloshim (thirty, because it lasts until the 30th day after burial). During that period, the mourners do not attend parties or celebrations, do not shave or cut their hair, and do not listen to music.

The final period of formal mourning is avelut, which is observed only for a parent. This period lasts for twelve months after the burial. During that time, mourners avoid parties, celebrations, theater and concerts. For eleven months of that period, starting at the time of burial, the son of the deceased recites the mourner's Kaddish every day.

After the avelut period is complete, the family of the deceased is not permitted to continue formal mourning;"
Death and Mourning in Judaism | Jewish Virtual Library

This is the formal mourning. Placing a memorial at the site of an accident could remain permanantly as well it should since it reminds people an accident took place here and to be more mindful. Isn't for someone uninvolved with the victim's family to tear down such a thing and is probably right up there with 'religious offenses that can get you killed.'

I dont know her reasoning behind taking down the kids memorial but we had to put restrictions on roadside memorials in Texas because it started to get ridiculous.
Everywhere you looked there was a memorial. And on dangerous roads they would line the roadway.
And I tend to agree with the women that at some point you need to let go.
Whether or not that was her intent I dont know.
But the memorial would have to go at some point unless it's in the middle of nowhere.

Recall roadside crosses marking memorial sites in California along the coast (Hwy 1.) Always seemed to be in clusters. So it's probably legit to be concerned over a visual distraction at some point. But ya don't touch another person's memorial. Wanna get it taken down go through proper channels.

Forum List

Back