Woman has no legal ID due to homeschooling christian parents

Luddly Neddite

Diamond Member
Sep 14, 2011
Texas teen fighting legal ID hurdles because of parents’ homeschooling Christian ways

A 19-year-old Texas woman is gaining attention online after publicly accusing her parents of denying her a way to gain legal identification because of their religious beliefs, The Friendly Atheist reported.

Alecia Faith Pennington’s video explaining her claim has been watched nearly 600,000 times since being posted online on Monday. She says that, though she was born in the U.S., her parents did not file a birth certificate because her delivery was carried out at home. She also says that she never received a Social Security number.

“I was homeschooled my entire life, so I had no school records,” Pennington says. “Also, never been to the hospital, so I have no medical records. This leaves me with nothing to prove my identity or citizenship.”

Pennington also created a Facebook page for her campaign, where she posted a letter saying that state health officials corroborated her statement regarding the lack of a birth certificate. She also said in the letter that her grandmother swore in an affadavit that she knew where and when Pennington was born.

Pennington’s mother, Lisa Pennington, blamed the grandparents for helping her leave their house last September in a post on her own blog. The post has been deleted, but The Friendly Atheist reprinted a portion of Lisa Pennington’s response.

“We discovered that my parents had been planning this with her without telling us (as you can imagine, an additional part of my grief is not only the loss of my daughter but the total end of the relationship with my parents),” Lisa Pennington wrote. “We also learned that she has been telling exaggerated stories about what is going on inside our home to a godless woman who has been giving her foolish counsel and encouraging her to deceive us and get out.”

Lisa Pennington also stated on Facebook that people should “check [their] facts” regarding her daughter’s claim, but has not responded to calls to provide specific evidence countering the allegation. She has not addressed the issue either on her blog or its Facebook page.

More at the link.

One wonders how many nutters like this are using their wacko beliefs to permanently handicap their kids.

While I agree the family is probably a strange bunch, this sounds more like a problem with the system to me. Where is it written anywhere in the Constitution that we are required to have a government issued identification document indicating who we are? When did it become acceptable to take our Social Security number, which was only supposed to be used solely for the SS program, and make it a universal identifier for every aspect of our lives? Where is it written that our education records need to be publicly available? There is no reason why someone shouldn't be able to go through life without the government having every bit of knowledge on them.

Texas teen fighting legal ID hurdles because of parents’ homeschooling Christian ways

A 19-year-old Texas woman is gaining attention online after publicly accusing her parents of denying her a way to gain legal identification because of their religious beliefs, The Friendly Atheist reported.

Alecia Faith Pennington’s video explaining her claim has been watched nearly 600,000 times since being posted online on Monday. She says that, though she was born in the U.S., her parents did not file a birth certificate because her delivery was carried out at home. She also says that she never received a Social Security number.

“I was homeschooled my entire life, so I had no school records,” Pennington says. “Also, never been to the hospital, so I have no medical records. This leaves me with nothing to prove my identity or citizenship.”

Pennington also created a Facebook page for her campaign, where she posted a letter saying that state health officials corroborated her statement regarding the lack of a birth certificate. She also said in the letter that her grandmother swore in an affadavit that she knew where and when Pennington was born.

Pennington’s mother, Lisa Pennington, blamed the grandparents for helping her leave their house last September in a post on her own blog. The post has been deleted, but The Friendly Atheist reprinted a portion of Lisa Pennington’s response.

“We discovered that my parents had been planning this with her without telling us (as you can imagine, an additional part of my grief is not only the loss of my daughter but the total end of the relationship with my parents),” Lisa Pennington wrote. “We also learned that she has been telling exaggerated stories about what is going on inside our home to a godless woman who has been giving her foolish counsel and encouraging her to deceive us and get out.”

Lisa Pennington also stated on Facebook that people should “check [their] facts” regarding her daughter’s claim, but has not responded to calls to provide specific evidence countering the allegation. She has not addressed the issue either on her blog or its Facebook page.

More at the link.

One wonders how many nutters like this are using their wacko beliefs to permanently handicap their kids.
This is BS, our third child was born at home,we had legal documents to fill out,his bith cert,home school kids are required to pass tests by the state there are all kinds of checks,as far as never going to the hospital,good for her,sound more like the girl is rebelling and pitching a fit.

My grandmother was born at home and never had a driver's license and didn't get a SS card or BC until her 50s.

The world still turned

My great-grandfather didn't know his true birth date because his family were gypsies. He knew the year, but not the exact date and only that he was born somewhere in Italy.

This is BS, our third child was born at home,we had legal documents to fill out,his bith cert,home school kids are required to pass tests by the state there are all kinds of checks,as far as never going to the hospital,good for her,sound more like the girl is rebelling and pitching a fit.

If the state didn't know she existed who is enforcing the home school testing requirements and all these other checks you speak of?

More at the link.

What's being home-schooled and Christian got to do with legal documentation and proof of identity?

Didn't Jesus say "Give to Caesar what belongs to Caesar." Get some ID dumbass.

I wonder if they claimed her on taxes. I wonder if they filed taxes.

Well, that's why I have a hard time believing this story...who wouldn't take advantage of that huge tax deduction?

If the state didn't know she existed who is enforcing the home school testing requirements and all these other checks you speak of?
The state/county does,now if they had her in a cave,never letting her out,kept her birth a secret,then ya theres a point other wise,this is much to do about nothing

The state/county does,now if they had her in a cave,never letting her out,kept her birth a secret,then ya theres a point other wise,this is much to do about nothing

How? If they birthed her at home and never filed a certificate, has no hospital records, has never gone to a public school, how would they know she existed? Just because family, friends, and neighbors might, doesn't mean the government bureaucrats do. This wouldn't be that hard to do, especially if you live in a rural area and don't make much contact with others, which it sounds like is the case with this family.

While I agree the family is probably a strange bunch, this sounds more like a problem with the system to me. Where is it written anywhere in the Constitution that we are required to have a government issued identification document indicating who we are? When did it become acceptable to take our Social Security number, which was only supposed to be used solely for the SS program, and make it a universal identifier for every aspect of our lives? Where is it written that our education records need to be publicly available? There is no reason why someone shouldn't be able to go through life without the government having every bit of knowledge on them.

Interesting points. Woudl assume much as public school students aren't required by law to submit drug tests except for optional school activities like sports and interest-clubs, a similar thing would be used here. Can go through life sans ID. But if you want a job, rent an apartment, or attend school, all optional activities, you'll need ID.

I wonder if they claimed her on taxes. I wonder if they filed taxes.

Well, that's why I have a hard time believing this story...who wouldn't take advantage of that huge tax deduction?

You're assuming they pay any.
Then they have more problems. But more than likely, this little girl is bitter and crying out for attention.

But this girl can have a Facebook account and still groan about how bad life is

You may not know it but Facebook does not impart the same legal identity that one's birth certificate does.

Where did she "groan about how bad life is"?

More at the link.

I'm fine the story tough to believe. Three of our kids were born at home, they all have birth certificates.

The source seems a little questionable also.

Forum List

Back