Woke Democrats: Dr. Seuss is now racist.

Can stereotypes be racist?

No.

Really?

There was nothing racist in blackface?

No more than in a brawling Irish drunk. Stereotypes are caricatures based upon observed common behaviors and impressions. If you feel one applies to you and take issue, perhaps it is you that is the problem, and not the stereotype.

A brawling Irish drunk indeed could be one. I do recall cartoons with such stereotypes. If the owners of those kinds of media decided to not reproduce them for kids. I would have no problem with that.
And I would

Buy the rights and reproduce it then.

No.

Really?

No more than in a brawling Irish drunk. Stereotypes are caricatures based upon observed common behaviors and impressions. If you feel one applies to you and take issue, perhaps it is you that is the problem, and not the stereotype.

A brawling Irish drunk indeed could be one. I do recall cartoons with such stereotypes. If the owners of those kinds of media decided to not reproduce them for kids. I would have no problem with that.
And I would

Just because I have an issue with it doesn’t mean I need to buy the rights, I can just defend theirs.

Go for it. What they do with their property is really none of your business.
It’s the principle. That’s what you don’t seem to understand.

Continuing to promote racist stereotypes is a principle to you?
It is a slippery slope. Stereotypes are there for a reason. Many anti Jewish stereotypes and I do not want any of them banned. Not one.

Great. Many Jews do.

Jews are condemning anti-semitism all the time. They make many good points.
Stereotyping and anti Semitic behaviors aren’t one in the same. We are too easily offended.

Of course they are. They both are designed to put others down.
One in a comedic way and one is a divisive hateful way. There is a massive difference. Airplane was a funny movie but played on stereotypes. Should it be banned?

I've addressed this already.
As have I. You are obtuse and refuse to see my side of the debate. You just dig your heels in. Nothing gets resolved that way. I see your POV and vehemently disagree with it as is my right but I understand. You refuse to see my POV and just dismiss it.

Make a valid point as to why elementary age children should be shown blacks portrayed as monkey's.
Because its a fake world. It isn't real. Show proof that Dr. Seuss has ever made a kid a racist.

He enforced racist stereotypes. I find it odd that you say this while supporting the idea that someone gay can make your kid gay.

Do they promote that the idea of being gay is normal for them? Absolutely. You don't want to discuss that though.
I never said it could make my kid gay? You need to learn to read. My point is we are picking and choosing what is and isn't offensive.

Avoid the question......
I did not avoid it. I said I don't want to condemn anything. Want to discuss gayness go for it. My 7th grader has two trans kids in her class.

You brought it up. You condemned it.
No. You are now lying.

My point was who gets to pick and choose what is and is not offensive.

Facts are not offensive in the way we are speaking.
In your mind. But many may disagree. As I said, I don't care but many find the gay lifestyle offensive. So should we ban everything with gayness in it?

People are offended that the country didn't buy the "steal the election" idea. No we should not ban simple facts. If a book publisher no longer wants to promote racist stereotypes that is their business.
You are impossible. They are not promoting it because of the Twitter mob. Cancel Culture 101.

No.

Really?

And I would

No.

Really?

And I would

Just because I have an issue with it doesn’t mean I need to buy the rights, I can just defend theirs.

It is a slippery slope. Stereotypes are there for a reason. Many anti Jewish stereotypes and I do not want any of them banned. Not one.

Great. Many Jews do.

Stereotyping and anti Semitic behaviors aren’t one in the same. We are too easily offended.

One in a comedic way and one is a divisive hateful way. There is a massive difference. Airplane was a funny movie but played on stereotypes. Should it be banned?

As have I. You are obtuse and refuse to see my side of the debate. You just dig your heels in. Nothing gets resolved that way. I see your POV and vehemently disagree with it as is my right but I understand. You refuse to see my POV and just dismiss it.

Make a valid point as to why elementary age children should be shown blacks portrayed as monkey's.
Because its a fake world. It isn't real. Show proof that Dr. Seuss has ever made a kid a racist.

He enforced racist stereotypes. I find it odd that you say this while supporting the idea that someone gay can make your kid gay.

Do they promote that the idea of being gay is normal for them? Absolutely. You don't want to discuss that though.
I never said it could make my kid gay? You need to learn to read. My point is we are picking and choosing what is and isn't offensive.

Avoid the question......
I did not avoid it. I said I don't want to condemn anything. Want to discuss gayness go for it. My 7th grader has two trans kids in her class.

No. You are now lying.

In your mind. But many may disagree. As I said, I don't care but many find the gay lifestyle offensive. So should we ban everything with gayness in it?

People are offended that the country didn't buy the "steal the election" idea. No we should not ban simple facts. If a book publisher no longer wants to promote racist stereotypes that is their business.
You are impossible. They are not promoting it because of the Twitter mob. Cancel Culture 101.

I don't have a problem with those publishing racist stereotypes saying they are no longer going to do that. Period.

You should ask the black community that question

Why? I'm asking here and it seems you do not want to answer.

What race doesn’t use stereotypes? It’s a stupid question.. You should treat all races equally

So stereotypes can be racist? If someone wants to no longer publish a racist stereotype, that is bad?
I remember the titles, but I don't think I read any of the 6 to my daughter. Go Dog Go (beginning reader) and Oh the Places You Will Go (imo the best kids' book ever) are my two favs.

6 Dr. Seuss books won't be published for racist images (apnews.com)

It's probably good if they focus on offensive stereotypes rather than more "subversive" themes that question morally ambivalence in life. Like William Steig and Maurice Sendak

Only if you are a sensitive snowflake. But they can be very funny.

So depicting black people as apes is funny to you?
When did I say that? Find that post. Depicting Italians as people who talk with their hands and get tans...see Jersey Shore is funny. Jewish stereotypes in terms of accents and such are funny and I am Jewish. Chill, snowflake.

Dr. Suess used clearly racist stereotypes like depicting blacks as apes. Not all his books are being prohibited in schools, just the ones using racist stereotypes.
Did you read the article. Some are banning all books. Maybe we should read more books vs banning them. Nazis used to burn books they found offensive. Many find gay people offensive so should you stop being gay? Tolerance goes both ways. My kids are past these books as they are older so I have no dog in this fight sans the one that it’s a slippery slope.

My god you're a drama queen. Nobody is burning books and they weren't banned. Did YOU read the article?
"These books portray people in ways that are hurtful and wrong," Dr. Seuss Enterprises told The Associated Press in a statement.​
"Ceasing sales of these books is only part of our commitment and our broader plan to ensure Dr. Seuss Enterprises’ catalog represents and supports all communities and families," the statement continued.​
They, Dr Seuss Enterprises, are going to stop publishing them.
Did you read the whole article? You missed my point. Because a small minority decided they are offensive everyone else must agree? Many find the book “It” by Stephen King offensive should it be next on the list? It is a slippery slope and I dislike cancel culture. You’re offended? Don’t read it.

It is generally a minority being stereotyped.
Every race and ethnicity is stereotyped. It just so happens the very reliable dem voting bloc is the one you leftist choose to victimize all the time.

What race doesn’t use stereotypes? It’s a stupid question.. You should treat all races equally

So stereotypes can be racist? If someone wants to no longer publish a racist stereotype, that is bad?
I remember the titles, but I don't think I read any of the 6 to my daughter. Go Dog Go (beginning reader) and Oh the Places You Will Go (imo the best kids' book ever) are my two favs.

It's probably good if they focus on offensive stereotypes rather than more "subversive" themes that question morally ambivalence in life. Like William Steig and Maurice Sendak

Yeah well. Dr Suess was a pretty complicated guy.

No.

Really?

And I would

No.

Really?

And I would

Great. Many Jews do.

Avoid the question......

No. You are now lying.

I don't have a problem with those publishing racist stereotypes saying they are no longer going to do that. Period.
What you don't understand is that it creates a slippery slope. So if I find Modern Family offensive should it be pulled off the air? You should try to be less offended and see how that goes for you.

The world he created isn't real. I have told you this like 3x now.

No.

Really?

And I would

No.

Really?

And I would

Great. Many Jews do.

Avoid the question......

No. You are now lying.

What you don't understand is that it creates a slippery slope. So if I find Modern Family offensive should it be pulled off the air? You should try to be less offended and see how that goes for you.

Argue it. If you win and convince enough people...........enough people have understood why these racist stereotypes are not worth publishing any further.

No blacks aren't monkey's, I'm not arguing they are.

He was a Democrat this is how you portrayed them for years.

Say what now?

Our immigration policies are designed, particularly under Quid Pro, to encourage mass migration of the least educated, least skilled, and presumably dumbest people south of our border.

Those are not caravans of physicists or other STEM adherents marching toward us.

Not every immigrant crosses our southern border on foot, you know.

I agree. You are just an obtuse grump. Good luck to you.

1. Clean up your posts. The software is flawed and won't do it - delete excessive back quotes

2. You avoid facts and run to partisan mantras.

You never did respond to my question regarding whiteface.

You decried blackface, but my posting of "Hamilton" casting George Washington with a black actor was met with silence - of course.

This goes beyond hypocrisy - you really do view the use of blackface as wrong - but whiteface is fine because - well, white devils.

Nothing remotely racist about this fictional world.

1614704318405.png

I think it's time Hollyweird did a remake of "Blazing Saddles"

1. Clean up your posts. The software is flawed and won't do it - delete excessive back quotes

2. You avoid facts and run to partisan mantras.

You never did respond to my question regarding whiteface.

You decried blackface, but my posting of "Hamilton" casting George Washington with a black actor was met with silence - of course.

This goes beyond hypocrisy - you really do view the use of blackface as wrong - but whiteface is fine because - well, white devils.

Your replies consist of "Nazi's. I ignore you because of it.

Forum List

Back