Witness to Migrant Disaster That Killed 37 Describes Screams

By Mehmet Guzel

View Comments (0)
|
Email
|
MigrantBoatDisaster-AP_268868517718.jpg

AP

Remains of a boat that was carrying migrants seen on the shoreline near the Aegean town of Ayvacik, Canakkale, Turkey, Saturday, Jan. 30, 2016.
A witness to the drowning of 37 people including babies and other young children off Turkey's coast described the horror and screams in the moments after the boat carrying the migrants slammed into rocks, saying it was like "somebody was being murdered."
Gulcan Durdu, who lives on the beach in the Aegean resort of Ayvacik, cried Sunday while recounting for The Associated Press the tragedy that happened at dawn the previous day.

She described being awakened by screaming and wailing after the boat struck rocks and capsized.
"I thought somebody was being murdered," Durdu told the AP.
Dramatic Images: Migrant Crisis

AP_73511406159.jpg

Durdu said that she and her husband rushed to try to help survivors and brought a boy to their home to try to warm him up.
"We wrapped him up (in blankets)," she said. "I brought the hair dryer to 'warm.' The boy became limp in my arms" before losing consciousness.

Continue reading at:

http://www.necn.com/news/national-i...Migrant-Disaster-Killed-37-Describes-Screams-

Forum List

Back