With Al Kaline, one of the all-time great baseball players......

bluzman61

Diamond Member
Sep 3, 2019
Valparaiso, Indiana USA
.......... sadly passing away yesterday, who would be some of your all-time greatest major league baseball players? Mine would be 1) Babe Ruth, possibly THE most legendary player all-time, he was a wonderful pitcher for several years for the Boston Red Sox before switching permanently to everyday player. Some believe had he continued as a pitcher for the rest of his career, he probably would've made the Hall of Fame as a pitcher. He WAS that good. 2) Hank Aaron, he put up some eye-popping career numbers. He kept calm and collected during his chase to break Babe Ruth's all-time home run record, amid media craziness and LOTS of death threats because he had the audacity to break Babe's record! 3) Willie Mays, perhaps THE best all around baseball player ever. He had tremendous power AND speed, and was an outstanding defensive player in the outfield. 4) Ted Williams, possibly THE best pure hitter the game has seen. He had one of the sweetest looking batting swings all-time. He, like Babe Ruth, hit for power AND a very high batting average. 5) Lou Gehrig, THE best first baseman all-time, IMHO. He, like Ruth and Ted Williams, hit for power AND a high batting average, and was a fine defensive player. So here are my top 5, who are some of yours?

.......... sadly passing away yesterday, who would be some of your all-time greatest major league baseball players? Mine would be 1) Babe Ruth, possibly THE most legendary player all-time, he was a wonderful pitcher for several years for the Boston Red Sox before switching permanently to everyday player. Some believe had he continued as a pitcher for the rest of his career, he probably would've made the Hall of Fame as a pitcher. He WAS that good. 2) Hank Aaron, he put up some eye-popping career numbers. He kept calm and collected during his chase to break Babe Ruth's all-time home run record, amid media craziness and LOTS of death threats because he had the audacity to break Babe's record! 3) Willie Mays, perhaps THE best all around baseball player ever. He had tremendous power AND speed, and was an outstanding defensive player in the outfield. 4) Ted Williams, possibly THE best pure hitter the game has seen. He had one of the sweetest looking batting swings all-time. He, like Babe Ruth, hit for power AND a very high batting average. 5) Lou Gehrig, THE best first baseman all-time, IMHO. He, like Ruth and Ted Williams, hit for power AND a high batting average, and was a fine defensive player. So here are my top 5, who are some of yours?
Babe Ruth
Pedro Martinez
Ted Williams
Mariano Rivera
Tom Brady

This thread also serves as a painful reminder that my Mom decided to throw out my baseball card collection, a real long time ago. Had a Kaline card with 2 other players i think they were Cash and Carter

66e4f063-4aa2-42bd-b3b6-c4ee174ce4f6-kaline_017.JPG

Al Kaline, born Dec. 19, 1934 in Baltimore, Maryland, is most known as "Mr. Tiger" and his 22 years playing for the Detroit Tigers. Kaline was inducted into the Baseball Hall of Fame in 1980. (Photo: Jim Hawkins, DFP Archives)

Al Kaline was really a great man and an unbelievable baseball player. He never played in the minor leagues. He went from high school graduation in 1953 to playing right field for the Tigers, where he stayed for 22 years. He still holds many club records, only Ty Cobb has a better resume, and he is arguably the best ever.

My father got tickets to the 1971 All Star game in Detroit. Kaline wasn’t a starter as he was on the downside of his career by then, but still amazing. I can clearly remember when he came out of the dugout to take his position in right field. Everyone in the stadium was waiting for that moment. The place erupted in applause and cheers that lasted for several minutes.

RIP Mr Tiger.
Al Kaline, Detroit Tigers legend, dies at age 85

Last edited:
1. Hank Aaron. His numbers were better than Ruths.
2.Barry Bonds. If he took roids it doesn't matter because you still have to hit and catch the ball.
3.Babe Ruth. He can't be disrespected.
4. tie-Cal Ripken. Best shortstop probably ever in terms of an all around game.
Willey Mays/Griffey Jr.
5. Frank Robinson. I believe he was MVP in both leagues. That says it all.
6. Lou Gehrig. I don't think he was the best first baseman, but his numbers speak for themselves.
7. Nolan Ryan. Enough said.
8. Albert Pujols
9. Johnny Bench
10 tie-Brooks Robinson/Ozzie Smith/Frank White. Spectacular glovemen.

Kaline was a totally classy guy, I would imagine something like they say about DiMaggio. I played in the minors for Detroit when he played and got to know him a little. I played for an amateur team in Baltimore that he played on too, but before me. It was like I was following him in a way, but with nowhere near his talent or class. It's just nice to think I even played on the same teams as he did. RIP Mr. Kaline.

This thread also serves as a painful reminder that my Mom decided to throw out my baseball card collection, a real long time ago. Had a Kaline card with 2 other players i think they were Cash and Carter
I had a similar experience. They used to hold Bat Day at Tiger stadium. Imagine that?

The bats had engraved signatures of Tiger players on them. I believe it was the summer of ‘68 when my family went. My kid brother and I both got bats, but not with Kaline’s name. We were disappointed, but as we walked around the stadium we saw Kaline signing bats on the concourse. We waited in line and got his signature on our bats. I cherished that bat and never used it, only to have my father through it away many years later.

2.Barry Bonds. If he took roids it doesn't matter because you still have to hit and catch the ball.
Willey Mays/Griffey Jr.
6. Lou Gehrig. I don't think he was the best first baseman, but his numbers speak for themselves.
8. Albert Pujols
9. Johnny Bench
Roids does matter. Ruth played in a dead ball era and pitched his first several years. So different time periods means differences. The money became to much of a pull for grown men to cheat that the integrity of the game which had some ebbs and flows before, was destroyed by my estimation. An economic collapse would bring the balance back as sports salaries will drop to sensible levels. But a lot of pain will be felt by all citizens in that scenario.

there were a lot of great players.....if Ted Williams would not have missed those 3 years in the 40's when he was 24-25 years old his stats would have been better.....saw Micky Mantle,Willie Mays,Hank Aaron,Johnny Bench,Rod Carew,Roberto Clemente,Ken Griffy jr,Tony Gwynn,Reggie Jackson,Sandy Koufax,Nolan Ryan......seen 2 of Ryans no hitters at Anaheim....

there were a lot of great players.....if Ted Williams would not have missed those 3 years in the 40's when he was 24-25 years old his stats would have been better.....saw Micky Mantle,Willie Mays,Hank Aaron,Johnny Bench,Rod Carew,Roberto Clemente,Ken Griffy jr,Tony Gwynn,Reggie Jackson,Sandy Koufax,Nolan Ryan......seen 2 of Ryans no hitters at Anaheim....
Imagine if Ted Williams had played for the Yankees and had not missed those three years. It’s likely his hitting stats would be unbelievable.

Last edited:
What the greats said of Al Kaline.

He won the respect of the Boston outfielder who is widely regarded as the greatest hitter in history. This became evident one day as Kaline sat in the media dining room at Fenway Park before doing the telecast of a Tigers-Red Sox game.

Into the room swooped Ted Williams. He knew his entrance would require him to fend off the Boston press with whom he long feuded. But he had an important mission, as he growled at the reporters who approached him. “I just came in here to say hello to Al Kaline,” he said.

"We couldn't believe he was that good that soon," Mickey Mantle told me. "He was amazing."

"I remember seeing him as a kid," Ted Williams told me, "and I knew he would be a great hitter the first time I saw him. He stood in that box like a guy who was ready to hit. He had great strength in his hands, and that's something you must have to be a great hitter."

"It didn't take long to realize he was one of the best I'd seen," said the Cardinals' Lou Brock. "We marveled at him, his defense, his arm, his hitting. And he was a fierce competitor."

"That's because he's Al Kaline, one of the best men I've ever met," said former Tigers manager Sparky Anderson. "Every time I walk in this clubhouse and see him, my day gets better. Our players feel the same way. They know there will never be another like Al Kaline."
956bca38-88a5-4806-92e3-33754c9dada0-kaline_044.JPG

Al Kaline, Detroit Tigers legend, dies at age 85

Legendary Tigers outfielder Al Kaline dies at 85

Willey Mays/Griffey Jr.
8. Albert Pujols
9. Johnny Bench
Roids does matter. Ruth played in a dead ball era and pitched his first several years. So different time periods means differences. The money became to much of a pull for grown men to cheat that the integrity of the game which had some ebbs and flows before, was destroyed by my estimation. An economic collapse would bring the balance back as sports salaries will drop to sensible levels. But a lot of pain will be felt by all citizens in that scenario.
Roids don't matter in baseball. You have got to be able to hit the baseball and catch the baseball. Ruth was not the best ever, that's all there is to it. Dead ball my ass, Aarons numbers are better than Ruths, and I believe Barry Bonds are too. Ruth did not compete against all the best players during his time either. The owners paid the money so don't blame the players for what you think money did to the game.

Willey Mays/Griffey Jr.
8. Albert Pujols
9. Johnny Bench
Nice list, IM2. Thanks!

Willey Mays/Griffey Jr.
8. Albert Pujols
9. Johnny Bench
Roids don't matter in baseball. You have got to be able to hit the baseball and catch the baseball. Ruth was not the best ever, that's all there is to it. Dead ball my ass, Aarons numbers are better than Ruths, and I believe Barry Bonds are too. Ruth did not compete against all the best players during his time either. The owners paid the money so don't blame the players for what you think money did to the game.
i have to agree.....the 1930s had better players than the 20's.....i wish black players like Josh Gibson and Satchel Paige would have been able to play during that time....

Forum List

Back