Wisconsin; sucks to be you

When the Washington Post asked George Parker, when he headed the Washington, DC teachers union, why he fought a voucher program that let some kids escape failing government schools, he said, "As kids continue leaving the system, we will lose teachers. Our very survival depends on having kids in DC schools so we'll have teachers to represent."

Albert Shanker, the teachers' union president who, years ago, first turned teachers unions into a national political force, was even more honest. Shanker callously said, "When school children start paying union dues, that's when I'll start representing the interests of school children."

Attachments

• $STOSSEL_CHART_COST_OF_AN_EDUCATION_4.JPG
    $STOSSEL_CHART_COST_OF_AN_EDUCATION_4.JPG
    70.7 KB · Views: 123
Wisconsin teachers retire in droves after union loss in bargaining fight - CSMonitor.com

Keep on spinning, Walker. Your state is going to be right in there with Texas on "places you don't want to try raising a family."

Is that supposed to be a bad thing? Wisconsin teachers who participated in the criminal demonstration should have been fired anyway. My guess is that the selfish bastards see a grandfather clause in the retirement system and pension benefits trump their alleged social integrity. Adios drones and welcome real teachers.

• Banned
Wisconsin teachers retire in droves after union loss in bargaining fight - CSMonitor.com

Keep on spinning, Walker. Your state is going to be right in there with Texas on "places you don't want to try raising a family."

Could you please share with us why they are retiring ?

This raises questions in my mind.

What changed about teaching ?

Or was it something in the benefits package that changed that caused them to make this choice.

It's in the article.

Sooo....the teachers retire, collect their full benefits, and show up the folloing Monday to teach as contract workers.

Sooo....the teachers retire, collect their full benefits, and show up the folloing Monday to teach as contract workers.

Naa, these people aren't teachers, they are opportunists with a degree who couldn't get a job flipping burgers or cutting chum. They lucked out in a cushy job after college and they thought the taxpayers should pay their lavish pensions including holidays and the whole summer off. These pepple are parasites. I doubt if you will ever see them ever working part time without benefits or God forbid as volunteers.

OMG, I fweel so sorry for all them teachers who are ABLE to retire.

give me a tissue.:cuckoo:

... teachers have opted to retire at higher rates than usual, partly in response to the new law. Under the law, teachers have to contribute a considerable chunk of their salaries to health and retirement plans, and districts can decide to lengthen the school day or year without increasing salaries.

More work for less pay?

Well, one can't really blame those with enough vested interest for retiring under those conditions.

This will give the rest of the nation the chance to see what happens when the classroom veterans leave in droves.

Now we get to see how much of that workforce were those deadweight teachers that so many of you teacher haters complain about.

FWIW, I think it takes years to become a really good classroom teacher.

But we'll see if WI can attract new teachers willing to work for less money, but who can still revitalize the schools.

Actually having read the entire article, I see no more 'problems' here than a decade ago, when many school districts were offering 'golden parachutes' in attempt to thin out the expensive dead wood at the top.

Some teachers close to retirement still are enthusiastic, many more just so skilled they'd be hard press to be terrible teachers. Still there are some that only talk about what they'll do when 'they get out of it.' Some that never leave their chair during the day or bother to learn anything new. Then there are those that are truly bad teachers.

10% isn't an insurmountable amount of retirees. Good teachers with 3-10 years experience are often much better mentors for the simple reason they are closer in age and more likely to have the skills sets the new teachers will be using in the long term.

:eusa_eh:

Who says Texas is a place "you don't want to try raising a family?"

Moreover, who says that Texas teachers are any more (or less) effective than those in Wisconsin?

My guess is you've been drinking too much Union Koolaid. Perhaps you should swich to Vodka Martinis so your posts will be more comprehensive.

New Topics

Forum List

Back