Wisconsin Judge Rules Ballot Drop Boxes Used in 2020 Election Were Illegal

ColonelAngus

Diamond Member
Feb 25, 2015
Can't I collect votes from everyone in my neighborhood and turn in only the ones I like?

“The guidance from the Wisconsin Elections Commission on absentee ballot drop boxes was unlawful. There are just two legal methods to cast an absentee ballot in Wisconsin: through the mail or in-person at a clerk’s office. And voters must return their own ballots,” commented WILL Deputy Counsel Luke Berg. “We are pleased the court made this clear, providing Wisconsin voters with certainty for forthcoming elections.”

Can't I collect votes from everyone in my neighborhood and turn in only the ones I like?

“The guidance from the Wisconsin Elections Commission on absentee ballot drop boxes was unlawful. There are just two legal methods to cast an absentee ballot in Wisconsin: through the mail or in-person at a clerk’s office. And voters must return their own ballots,” commented WILL Deputy Counsel Luke Berg. “We are pleased the court made this clear, providing Wisconsin voters with certainty for forthcoming elections.”

Probably fake news.

Can you find the story on Fox News?

Wisconsin is not the only state.

Probably fake news.

Before you automatically pull one Otis after another and claim the source is unreliable....you might want to Google the subject and check the validity of the story.
That way you won't appear to be foolish.

Look, we all know how risky it is that people put ballots in drop boxes. They need to be put into mail boxes because it’s much more important that ballots be handled by numerous middlemen in the mail system rather than be directly collected by election staff.

So how about having supervised ballot boxes and let people vote...

This is another anti voter rule... The GOP don't want the people to vote, they are trying everything to stop the people being heard...

GOP shows that they are afraid of the people...

Probably fake news.

How 'bout NPR?

This is another anti voter rule... The GOP don't want the people to vote, they are trying everything to stop the people being heard...

There are plenty of supervised ballot boxes, they are in polling places on Election Day. Before 2020 it never seemed to be a problem to cast votes on Election Day except for a small number of people who used a secure process because they were either shut in or out of state.

That's why they're trying to pass their voter fraud act. They're trying to legalize all the criminal shit they pulled in 2020.

{...
After hearing three hours of arguments, Waukesha County Circuit Court Judge Michael Bohren determined state law allows absentee ballots to be returned in person or by mail — but not in a ballot drop box.
"It's all good and nice, but there's no authority to do it," Bohren said of the use of drop boxes.
...}

So the judge is NOT saying there was any voter fraud involved.
He is not saying ballots were not being turned in and counted.

And personally I think the judge is wrong.
If the same security is applied to the drop boxes as is given to ballot boxes at polling places, then these drop boxes are just a convenience for voters, so they do not have to travel as far.
I would only be wrong if the mail in ballot boxes at polling stations had higher security, such as checking ID, that the remote drop box did not have.

There are plenty of supervised ballot boxes, they are in polling places on Election Day. Before 2020 it never seemed to be a problem to cast votes on Election Day except for a small number of people who used a secure process because they were either shut in or out of state.
Tons of people vote by mail and have for years. It’s just more convenient.

It's only an issue for democrats now because they think they have a whole new avenue to collect democrat votes. If the majority of mail-in ballots were for Republicans, they'd drop the issue like a hot potato and run around screaming it was an attack on democracy.

How 'bout NPR?

From the link:

For example, a Sept. 25, 2020, letter from an attorney for Republican legislative leaders explicitly endorsed the use of drop boxes.

"We wholeheartedly support voters' use of any of these convenient, secure, and expressly authorized absentee-ballot-return methods," wrote attorney Misha Tseytlin representing Assembly Speaker Robin Vos and then-Senate Majority Leader Scott Fitzgerald.

Should this case find its way to the Wisconsin Supreme Court, all eyes will be on conservative Justice Brian Hagedorn, the court's swing vote. Hagedorn ruled against former President Donald Trump and his allies in multiple lawsuits seeking to overturn Wisconsin's 2020 presidential election.

The judge's ruling will be appealed and overturned.

Only eight states—Arizona, California, Colorado, Hawaii, Montana, New Mexico, Oregon and Washington state—have explicit language about ballot drop boxes written into their laws. However, many more states provide ballot drop boxes or otherwise permit counties and other election officials to place ballot drop boxes for voters to use. All told, 40 states (and Washington, D.C.) will have ballot drop boxes available in one or more locations in 2020, while just 10 states will not have drop boxes.

40 states use ballot drop boxes, even though only 8 have explicit laws allowing them.

This has been a common practice for DECADES.

The sore losers are just now finding these things out and trying to turn this into a bullshit "stolen election" claim, as if this practice is something new for the express purpose of stealing the election from Donald Trump.

Pathetic.

Usual demrat BS. Vote one of two ways, in person or request an absentee ballot to be received by the election board by election day. Overseas, military and emergency provisional ballots are the only ones to be counted after election day, say 3 days to a week later. End of story.

{...
After hearing three hours of arguments, Waukesha County Circuit Court Judge Michael Bohren determined state law allows absentee ballots to be returned in person or by mail — but not in a ballot drop box.
"It's all good and nice, but there's no authority to do it," Bohren said of the use of drop boxes.
...}

So the judge is NOT saying there was any voter fraud involved.
He is not saying ballots were not being turned in and counted.

And personally I think the judge is wrong.
If the same security is applied to the drop boxes as is given to ballot boxes at polling places, then these drop boxes are just a convenience for voters, so they do not have to travel as far.
I would only be wrong if the mail in ballot boxes at polling stations had higher security, such as checking ID, that the remote drop box did not have.
Yea, he is a conservative judge by NPR...

This baby is getting appealed all day...

But it should be made clear that GOP are making it harder to vote... Voters should be told that if there are delays it is GOP fault...

Forum List

Back