Winter 2019-2020.... Here it comes

Billy_Bob

Diamond Member
Sep 4, 2014
Top Of The Great Divide
It is only September 15th and the first of a string of polar lows is set to impact the US over the next few weeks. The cold air masses that will accompany them will bring snow to most of the rocky mountain region and snow to 4000 feet. Monsoon water will precede the cold front making the slam a cold and wet one...

upload_2019-9-15_14-15-31.png

By the end of the week we should see 25-30 degree drops in temperature for day time highs and lows near freezing above 4500 feet... These are late October weather patterns and they are here!

Last edited:
There was already snow in some mountains in Montana and Wyoming the first week of September. Looks like it might be a cold long winter.

There was already snow in some mountains in Montana and Wyoming the first week of September. Looks like it might be a cold long winter.
We had snow in Wyoming on Aug 2, first of the season and much in the high elevations did not fully melt adding some 36 reforming glacial areas. Its going to be a long cold winter for the US.

We had snow in Wyoming on Aug 2, first of the season and much in the high elevations did not fully melt adding some 36 reforming glacial areas. Its going to be a long cold winter for the US.
Was not aware of the August snow. Must have been high up.
Glaciers always melt some and grow some. It has been that way for centuries. Glad to hear they are growing again as a lot of Wyoming water comes from those glaciers.

Living in Texas now so I can't say I will miss the cold weather. Best of luck in the snow and cold.

Glaciers always melt some and grow some. It has been that way for centuries. Glad to hear they are growing again as a lot of Wyoming water comes from those glaciers.

Living in Texas now so I can't say I will miss the cold weather. Best of luck in the snow and cold.
It made it to the valley floor in Yellowstone.

Today temps are near 90. By next Saturday we will struggle to make 60-65 degrees. Its going to be interesting as many hunts opened up this week.

It is only September 15th and the first of a string of polar lows is set to impact the US over the next few weeks. The cold air masses that will accompany them will bring snow to most of the rocky mountain region and snow to 4000 feet. Monsoon water will precede the cold front making the slam a cold and wet one...

View attachment 279465

By the end of the week we should see 25-30 degree drops in temperature for day time highs and lows near freezing above 4500 feet... These are late October weather patterns and they are here!
Cool.......I'm tired of all of this Global Warming.

Today temps are near 90. By next Saturday we will struggle to make 60-65 degrees. Its going to be interesting as many hunts opened up this week.
Spent many years as a hunting guide just outside the east entrance to Yellowstone.

Spent many years as a hunting guide just outside the east entrance to Yellowstone.
I have a feeling that many of these hunters are going to get caught unprepared. This storm is going to bring a good amount of moisture (snow) to mid and high elevations. Probably a foot or more.

View attachment 279465

Sweet. Should make for a great ski season!

View attachment 279465

Definitely make a good start for Idaho, Utah, Montana, Colorado and Wyoming

View attachment 279465

Definitely make a good start for Idaho, Utah, Montana, Colorado and Wyoming

It better be. I already bought my season pass. :)

I have a feeling that many of these hunters are going to get caught unprepared. This storm is going to bring a good amount of moisture (snow) to mid and high elevations. Probably a foot or more.
Damn I hope for their sakes they are prepared. I still remember heading up to hunting camp to get ready for the first hunt of the year. Should have taken about eight hours on horse back. Because of having to clear the trail it took over a day. Most of which was raining. That night it dropped to 10 above and began to snow. Spent a soggy cold night. Next day about 9:00 made it in the camp. Pulled one of the tents out of storage set it up was very greatful for the heater in that tent.
Have no doubt some would have been in dire straits in that situation.

I used to tell everyone that was the coldest I had ever been until I spent some winter in Siberia. Now I can say it is a toss up.

Damn I hope for their sakes they are prepared. I still remember heading up to hunting camp to get ready for the first hunt of the year. Should have taken about eight hours on horse back. Because of having to clear the trail it took over a day. Most of which was raining. That night it dropped to 10 above and began to snow. Spent a soggy cold night. Next day about 9:00 made it in the camp. Pulled one of the tents out of storage set it up was very greatful for the heater in that tent.

I used to tell everyone that was the coldest I had ever been until I spent some winter in Siberia. Now I can say it is a toss up.
The Game Wardens here are warning people to be prepared. But some think they know better..

I went to college at Montana State. I think it was in 1981, don't hold me to that, my sister came out to visit. We were in West Yellowstone and it was snowing on June 6th. She had just flown in from Ohio, seriously freaked her out.

As I mentioned I went to Montana State. One weekend my girlfriend and I had someone drop us maybe 10-15 miles into the mountains for a weekend, with plans to pick us up a in couple of days. Woke up the first morning to 3 feet of snow. And no, I'm not exaggerating, a solid 3 feet. We were well equipped and experienced plus it wasn't high country and the snow was serious light powder, we'd have made it out, but talk about feeling stupid. Within an hour trekking out we were stunned to get picked by a forest service vehicle, easily making it's way out through the light powder. Still feel dumb on that one 35+ years later.

It's funny, I used to carry on with the native Montanans about cold. The lowest temp I ever experienced was 36 below. Seriously cold. I teased the locals that they didn't know what cold was until they were sitting in Cleveland Municipal Stadium watching the Browns, drinking cold bear, 15 degrees, a 40 ml/hr wind blowing off of the lake and somehow it's raining. It was a wet cold.

I went to college at Montana State. I think it was in 1981, don't hold me to that, my sister came out to visit. We were in West Yellowstone and it was snowing on June 6th. She had just flown in from Ohio, seriously freaked her out.
That and 1982 were very snowy years right into July... I remember them well as I lived in SLC at the time attending the U of U.

That and 1982 were very snowy years right into July... I remember them well as I lived in SLC at the time attending the U of U.
It might have been 82 for me as well, been a while. When I lived out there the wildest, coolest thing I experienced was a "chinook". Not sure that's how it's spelled since the only other reference is the helicopter. But in Bozeman one day it went from like 10 deg to 70 in a matter of hours. Then snapped right back. OK, that was cool but I was in Bozeman when the ash from St Helens started to fall. Now that was amazing. I had vials of the ash until I gave them away to geology freaks. Led to some great "I don't know where I'm a gonna go when the volcano blows" parties.

New Topics

Forum List

Back