Winners and losers of 2013

Who do you think were the winners and losers of 2013? Here's my list.

Winners:
1. Duck Dynasty and A&E. They both got publicity that will fill both their wallets.
2. Sarah Palin. If you don't think she's a winner then talk to Martin Bashir.
3. George Bush: With higher approval ratings than Obama he has mysteriously become cool.
4. Miley Cyrus. Pissing off old fogies is a great way to make mucho cash.
5. The Catholic Church. Pope Francis brings his A game.

Loosers:
1. President Obama. The proud owner of LIE OF THE YEAR.
2. Rob Ford. Smoking crack and being fat is no easy feat.
3. Syrians. The red line was a myth but the chemical weapons weren't.
4. Kathleen Sebelius. Oh what a tangled website we weave...
5. Anthony Weiner. Watch out Pajama Boy! You're getting a tweet from Carlos Danger!

Last edited:

Winners:
1. Duck Dynasty and A&E. They both got publicity that will fill both their wallets.
3. George Bush: With higher approval ratings than Obama he has mysteriously become cool.

Loosers:
5. Anthony Weiner. Watch out Pajama Boy! You're getting a tweet from Carlos Danger!

In general, I think you got a lot right. I'd quibble over #2 and #3 of the winners. You left out the biggest winner and a couple of the biggest losers, however (which is OK, 2013 produced a lot more losers than winners).

BIGGEST WINNER OF ALL: Corporate America and the stock market. In a period of mediocre economic performance, corporate earnings and stock prices posted double digit gains and record highs.

BIGGEST LOSER: The American people. They suffered a year of poor economic performance, a deteriorating political culture, and the insult that they deserved what was happening to them from a large part of the media. The decline of America is obvious. American exceptionalism only exists in a fantasy world that denies reality, cynically manipulated by those that benefit from the decline.

PERSONAL BIG LOSER: The economics profession (and to a lesser extent, the political system). I had thought that the majority of my profession had at least a modicum of professional ethics, but the A & A scandal, the R & R scandal, the reaction to Marty Feldstein, and the persistence of austerity chickens and budget hawks in the face of events can only lead to the conclusion that many are making way too much money from research grants, speaking engagements, and consulting fees to have any shred of integrity left. They are bought and paid for. Unfortunately, this includes some of the most brilliant (just look at Larry Summers!).

Winners:
Bashar Assad: from zero to hero in 2 days thanks to Obama
Putin. There is a competent leader at the head of a superpower. Too bad it's our historic enemy

Losers:
Obama, biggest lie of teh decade
The American People, who still have to deal with his shit.

Winners:

Loosers:

In general, I think you got a lot right. I'd quibble over #2 and #3 of the winners. You left out the biggest winner and a couple of the biggest losers, however (which is OK, 2013 produced a lot more losers than winners).

BIGGEST WINNER OF ALL: Corporate America and the stock market. In a period of mediocre economic performance, corporate earnings and stock prices posted double digit gains and record highs.

BIGGEST LOSER: The American people. They suffered a year of poor economic performance, a deteriorating political culture, and the insult that they deserved what was happening to them from a large part of the media. The decline of America is obvious. American exceptionalism only exists in a fantasy world that denies reality, cynically manipulated by those that benefit from the decline.

PERSONAL BIG LOSER: The economics profession (and to a lesser extent, the political system). I had thought that the majority of my profession had at least a modicum of professional ethics, but the A & A scandal, the R & R scandal, the reaction to Marty Feldstein, and the persistence of austerity chickens and budget hawks in the face of events can only lead to the conclusion that many are making way too much money from research grants, speaking engagements, and consulting fees to have any shred of integrity left. They are bought and paid for. Unfortunately, this includes some of the most brilliant (just look at Larry Summers!).

Why number 2?

Palin went from governor to superstar. She earns a cool mil a year (not bad) and is worth 12 million.
Sarah Palin Net Worth | Celebrity Net Worth

I guess you could say that was from an earlier year though. It really was not 2013 that did it for her but rather 2010/11 when she moved from political hopeful to poking other politicians with a stick.

Forum List

Back