Windows 11?

I insta.led it and iiiiiiiiiiiit came ouuuuuuuuut grea#

Just kidding, I just want them to leave me the hell alone. No updated, no more installments, no more new computers to cope with all the fabulous new computer power. Just let me surf the net in peace without paying thousands of dollars every few years to do it.

Last edited:
I am not sure if it is the cause but since Windows 11 installed on my computer jumps around. Sometimes I will be posting on one board and it will jump to another or I am on one site and then suddenly I back at my home page.
That sounds like a browser problem not an operating system error.

Has anyone on USMB tried Windows 11?
Do you like it?
What is good about it?
What is bad about it?
I installed Win 11 on my gaming desktop, other than a recent problem with a graphics driver update, (never allow Microsoft to update your drivers), I've had no issues with it. Basically it's a Win 10 upgrade with some strict security protocols rebranded as Windows 11. It does boot up much faster. Of course I installed a few third party apps that allow me to configure it the way I want it including StartisBack which gives me the old Win 7 Start Menu and Winaero Tweaker to completely shut off things you normally can't.

That sounds like a browser problem not an operating system error.
I have the same problem. The other day, I found a post I had written to one thread, and it appeared on another. lol. I have no idea what happened. But sometimes it seems like I have more than one browser... Even if you told me what to look for, I probably wouldn't understand it because I have an abiding antipathy to technology. :coffee:

my computer jumps around

Cut off its feet!

45138_505053102859147_1569606927_n.jpg

Last edited:
I have the same problem. The other day, I found a post I had written to one thread, and it appeared on another. lol. I have no idea what happened. But sometimes it seems like I have more than one browser... Even if you told me what to look for, I probably wouldn't understand it because I have an abiding antipathy to technology. :coffee:
I find I accidentally hit the wrong key and it opens whatever tab I'm on in an newly opened browser (the same browser) or in my other browser. Sometimes I accidentally close my browser and it takes me a few seconds to figure out what I did....... Most of these type of occurrences are we the user hitting a wrong key accidentally or accidentally hitting the mouse button when it's hovering over something else.

I was in the middle of a chess game that moved my Bishop and the game vanished and these things didn't start until Windows 11. I am not sure if it has anything to do with it or maybe someone is messing with me because my rook vanished first as the screen flashed and then my Bishop froze the game then the screen flickered and I was back at my home page.

Other than the start button being in the middle of the toolbar I haven't noticed much difference with it on the computers I installed it on. I have it on a computer at work and on a dell that I completely reinstalled everything on that was having all sorts of issues. I am convinced dell now makes their computers glitchy unless you use their optimization programs that aren't free after the first year. They used to be good computers. Now they are too loaded up with proprietary crap. We just use that one for browsing because with limited reinstall licensing on a lot of software, we don't want to burn up a reinstall on a unit that may get all pissy again.

I was in the middle of a chess game that moved my Bishop and the game vanished and these things didn't start until Windows 11. I am not sure if it has anything to do with it or maybe someone is messing with me because my rook vanished first as the screen flashed and then my Bishop froze the game then the screen flickered and I was back at my home page.
First step is to uninstall your browser then reinstall it in safe mode. Make sure you back up your saved bookmarks first. If that doesn't fix it then the only other problem I can currently think of is your graphics card doesn't like the game.

I recently bought a new computer that runs Windows 11. The rest of my studio equipment from Apple. But for one particular task I couldn't justify the price of another iMac. The all-in-one from Dell has a big enough screen, runs fast enough and has limited memory - though sufficient to my needs. I quickly discovered that the key to using it for my purpose is to deny it access to the internet. Entirely. The downside of that is when I want to move work-in-progress I have to use "sneakernet" - copy to a USB drive and walk it between rooms. With the speed of today's USB drives it's not much of an inconvenience.

If you want a computer for general purposes including a lot of internet browsing then a new computer with Windows 11 makes sense provided you have lots of time to deal with the crap Microsoft constantly throws at you AND you can learn enough about the system to do everything you need without allowing MS to screw around with your operating system or applications without specific permission.

Apple has been drifting more "big brother" but MS has it refined to an art form.

My old laptop was dying so I had to buy a new one.
1) I downloaded and attempted to install Libre Office. I would double click the installer and nothing happened. So I Googled this, and there it is - on Windows 11 "live scan" identifies Libre Office as malware. Oh how convenient for Microsoft!! So I removed Live Scan and the program installed fine.
2) I wanted to show Bonzi a trailer for a movie. So I went to project the laptop to the TV. Whats this?? Where is the "Connect" button?? Google that... ahh.. Windows 11 does not come with that feature installed. You have to go to a 6 or 7 step procedure to install the "optional app".
So I installed it. Still no connect button. I spent at least 5 minutes on various sites all giving bad information including Microsoft's OWN tech page. Finally I happened upon a user comment that the Connect button is not how Windows 11 connects. You simply hit "windows-K" and it brings up the connect feature.
3) What is this stupid "chat" icon? And why can't I delete it off the task bar? Again Microsoft says "right click and unpin" - I right click and nothing happens. Google again... ahh.. on some laptops Windows 11 has removed the easy way to delete it. You have to go to Settings>Personalization>Task Bar>Manage Task Bar> unpin Chat. WTF???
4) I have set Brave as the default browser yet Microsoft Edge repeatedly opens anyway on applications. Google again... yep... now there is an additional step to stop this.... FFS!!

And that is in the first half hour.

I have an old desktop which still works fine but I decided to get a laptop to have a backup just in case something happens to the old one... I don't do the cloud thing, it's my stuff and it should be on my computer... so I thought that would be simple... sorry sir, but we don't sell laptops with windows 10 anymore, it's all windows 11 now... ok, I suppose that's inevitable, it has to happen some time, how bad can it be.... well.... very bad :aargh:

It sucks so much... I wanted make it look and feel just like the old computer with windows 10 on it.. that's impossible... for example, there's no 'never combine taskbar buttons' anymore... yeah, we removed that because it should look minimalistic... seriously?... it's my laptop assholes, I should be the one that decides how it should look... that was the first frustration, then I discovered that you can't simply do copy/paste anymore with a right click... there are buttons for that now... not to mention the fucked up start menu... I had to google how to shut it down ffs... and then there are the incredible amount of popups everywhere... do you want this.. did you know... want to see our special offers... maybe later.... no, no, no, no... leave me alone.... and that's just the first day... windows was already evil but it's a mistake to think it can't get worse... best to stay away from windows 11 as long as possible...

:smoke:

plan.JPG

I insta.led it and iiiiiiiiiiiit came ouuuuuuuuut grea#

Just kidding, I just want them to leave me the hell alone. No updated, no more installments, no more new computers to cope with all the fabulous new computer power. Just let me surf the net in peace without paying thousands of dollars every few years to do it.

I rarely use mine anymore probably the last windows machines I'll buy ....

They're updated to 11 it's not that bad ...when they're older I'm just gonna throw a copy of mint on em

I've turned other machines into Linux machines before

Mint is really good if ya wanna dump windows ....easy setup and all the basics ya need

Forum List

Back