Windows 10 universal apps and drivers

Bleipriester

Freedom!
Nov 14, 2012
Doucheland
It´s getting better and better. Microsoft will provide developers and manufacturers with tools that allow the creation of universal apps and drivers.
Imagine a program that works on all your devices, the PC, the smartphone, the tablet and the gaming console, using their specific ways to be operated. That means, lets take a browser for example, that this program will be operated with mouse and keyboard on the PC, via touch on the smartphone and tablet and with the game pad on the XBOX and of course, the program delivers proper UIs and adapted functionality for all this devices and. For example, a racing game could feature the tilt control method for phones and tablets, though it would not be useful for PC and console. This feature would not be included for PC and console for this very reason and of course, monitors and TV lack the required sensors for the same reason, anyway. The same applies for drivers, raising hopes that peripherals will work on every of these devices if the manufacturer supports that.

"With Windows 10, we have factored the core OS components that are required on every form factor into a common platform that is part of every Windows 10 edition. For each Windows device family (e.g., PCs, phones, Xbox), we augment that common platform with device family-specific components, functionality, and experiences that allow Windows to exploit what is unique about the device’s capabilities. We also augment that common platform with the functionality required to support that device family’s applications and drivers – your PC apps and peripherals still work when you upgrade to your PC to Windows 10.

For the user, this approach to engineering Windows means that their experience of Windows 10 is exploitive of the unique hardware capabilities and characteristics of each device. Your Windows 10 phone can have the unique characteristics that make for a great phone (like making a phone call), while your Windows 10 PC can support the familiar user experience that is optimized for mouse and keyboard. Moreover, your Windows Phone apps continue to work on Windows 10 phones, and the catalog of Windows desktop applications that has been growing for over two decades continues to work great on your Windows 10 PC."

Microsoft Details Unified Windows Device Platform A Single Universal Driver Can Be Deployed Across Windows 10 Devices
Developing for the Windows 10 Device Platform

I'd go to Linux all the way if you could play the heavy graphics games on it, bu alas, Linux is incompatible with the games largely manufactured for Microsoft.

Why do I need Windows?
I know that this threat is about Windows. But can you restrain your hysteria attack?
What hysteria? What threat? And why do you yammer on endlessly in Linux threads?

Weird.
A Windows thread. And I am contributing also in Linux threads.
You don't contribute, you snivel. -If someone likes something differently than what you do you get offended and let them know it.

But you never answered the question, why do I need Windows?

You don't contribute, you snivel. -If someone likes something differently than what you do you get offended and let them know it.
This is what you have been doing so far, using rough insults.

I cannot provide an answer to you and the thread isn´t about why a Linux fanatic needs Windows. I need Windows, because I don´t want to have two operating systems on my computer when I can do all the stuff with one.

I cannot provide an answer to you and the thread isn´t about why a Linux fanatic needs Windows. I need Windows, because I don´t want to have two operating systems on my computer when I can do all the stuff with one.
Well, you've "contributed" to the Linux threads so I thought I'd contribute to your Microsoft sales thread. I was wondering what new feature they added I needed.

I would need two Windows versions since the program I need runs only on XP and they no longer support XP. Can you dual boot Window versions?

Well, you've "contributed" to the Linux threads so I thought I'd contribute to your Microsoft sales thread. I was wondering what new feature they added I needed.

I would need two Windows versions since the program I need runs only on XP and they no longer support XP. Can you dual boot Window versions?
Creating a Windows dual boot system is as easy as drinking a bottle of beer. As for your old program, surely a current version or at least an alternative is available.

Creating a Windows dual boot system is as easy as drinking a bottle of beer. As for your old program, surely a current version or at least an alternative is available.

It may be easy if you have just re-formatted your hard drive, and you're starting fresh. Are you saying that it is possible to set up dual boot after you have already installed Windows 8 or 8.1? If so, I'd like to know because I am always open to new and innovative ideas.

Not of they remove the option to disable secure boot, which, as you probably know, is currently what they are going to do.

Yes genius. I can upgrade it for $1,500 so I can have the privilege of buying another new Windows release and probably upgrading hardware and spend another God knows what for a USB security device if I can't get a printer port to work, all to do the same thing. But not everyone lives on Microsoft knee pads. Sorry.

Last edited:

It may be easy if you have just re-formatted your hard drive, and you're starting fresh. Are you saying that it is possible to set up dual boot after you have already installed Windows 8 or 8.1? If so, I'd like to know because I am always open to new and innovative ideas.
That is possible, indeed. You simply need to edit the Windows bootloader. If you don´t know what exactly to do, be told it is just some command line commands. But there is a good free tool called EasyBCD, which provides an UI for that commands. I created this Windows/Linux dualboot system, using EasyBCD to activate the Windows 8 graphical bootloader and give Linux the place it deserves: the second place.

Not of they remove the option to disable secure boot, which, as you probably know, is currently what they are going to do.
I guess, it is due to the GPT partition, Windows demands, that is not supported by older operating systems. It should be possible to integrate AHCI drivers and GPT support into a Windows XP CD.

Yes genius. I can upgrade it for $1,500 so I can have the privilege of buying another new Windows release and probably upgrading hardware and spend another God knows what for a USB security device if I can't get a printer port to work, all to do the same thing. But not everyone lives on Microsoft knee pads. Sorry.
Maybe you should give Windows 7´s XP mode a try, then. That would save you a lot of tears.

Maybe you should give Windows 7´s XP mode a try, then. That would save you a lot of tears.
What tears? And why do you always say such stupid shit? Why on Earth would I "upgrade" as an experiment when the software makers say it isn't compatible with 7 and I have no need for anything additional anyway?

Do you feel everyone owes Microsoft something? I don't. I have better stuff, for free and can upgrade as often as I like, for free. How many knee pads do you go through in a month?

That is possible, indeed. You simply need to edit the Windows bootloader. If you don´t know what exactly to do, be told it is just some command line commands. But there is a good free tool called EasyBCD, which provides an UI for that commands. I created this Windows/Linux dualboot system, using EasyBCD to activate the Windows 8 graphical bootloader and give Linux the place it deserves: the second place.

Or you can simply download the Linux OS and let it do it for you. Select the OS you want in the grub when it boots and it loads it. You should do a computer comedy show!

This is what you have been doing so far, using rough insults.I cannot provide an answer to you and the thread isn´t about why a Linux fanatic needs Windows. I need Windows, because I don´t want to have two operating systems on my computer when I can do all the stuff with one.

What tears? And why do you always say such stupid shit? Why on Earth would I "upgrade" as an experiment when the software makers say it isn't compatible with 7 and I have no need for anything additional anyway?

Do you feel everyone owes Microsoft something? I don't. I have better stuff, for free and can upgrade as often as I like, for free. How many knee pads do you go through in a month?
The XP mode (I don´t mean the standard compatibility modes) was made for old software not compatible with Windows 7. It is VM that is "invisible" and you can use the software exactly how you use compatible software.

Last edited:

Or you can simply download the Linux OS and let it do it for you. Select the OS you want in the grub when it boots and it loads it. You should do a computer comedy show!

My customization served my needs. As you can see, choosing Linux in the Win8 bootloader will reboot the PC and open Linux´s bootloader.

Forum List

Back