Wind Turbine's CO2 Emissions increasing and largest new source of CO2

elektra

Platinum Member
Dec 1, 2013
Temecula California
Wind Turbines CO2 pollution, it is a theme of mine, and when I find new information that confirms this fact I like to share it. CO2, Wind Turbine manufacture (as well as Solar Panel manufacture) is now the largest new source of CO2 in the atmosphere. It is a figure that is never discussed and completely absent from all the Green Renewable energy websites.

This article looks like it is only addressing the rebar and concrete, neglecting the production of fiberglass and the other exotic materials

How Much CO2 Gets Emitted to Build a Wind Turbine?
Its carbon footprint is massive – try 241.85 tons of CO2.

Here’s the breakdown of the CO2 numbers.

To create a 1,000 Kg of pig iron, you start with 1,800 Kg of iron ore, 900 Kg of coking coal 450 Kg of limestone. The blast furnace consumes 4,500 Kg of air. The temperature at the core of the blast furnace reaches nearly 1,600 degrees C (about 3,000 degrees F).

The pig iron is then transferred to the basic oxygen furnace to make steel.

1,350 Kg of CO2 is emitted per 1,000 Kg pig iron produced.

A further 1,460 Kg CO2 is emitted per 1,000 Kg of Steel produced so all up 2,810 Kg CO2 is emitted.
45 tons of rebar (steel) are required so that equals 126.45 tons of CO2 are emitted.
To create a 1,000 Kg of Portland cement, calcium carbonate (60%), silicon (20%), aluminium (10%), iron (10%) and very small amounts of other ingredients are heated in a large kiln to over 1,500 degrees C to convert the raw materials into clinker. The clinker is then interground with other ingredients to produce the final cement product. When cement is mixed with water, sand and gravel forms the rock-like mass know as concrete.

An average of 927 Kg of CO2 is emitted per 1,000 Kg of Portland cement. On average, concrete has 10% cement, with the balance being gravel (41%), sand (25%), water (18%) and air (6%). One cubic metre of concrete weighs approx. 2,400 Kg so approx. 240 Kg of CO2 is emitted for every cubic metre.

481m3 of concrete are required so that equals 115.4 tons of CO2 are emitted.

wind blast.jpg

From a site that admits right in its header, "We're not here to debate the wind industry, we're here to DESTROY it".

:lmao:

>> Stop These Things (STT) is an anti-wind website promoting anecdotes and pseudoscience intended to cast doubt on the effectiveness of wind energy. The website also promotes claims alleging people living in close proximity to wind turbines suffer assorted detrimental health conditions.

The creator and moderator of the website is unknown and unaccountable yet readily posts any unfounded, ill informed attack, distortion or blatant lie directed at pro-wind individuals or groups.[1]

STT complains about vilification and victimisation without providing any evidence yet the site moderator and many supporters consistently engage in vilification of opponents as illustrated by these various posts.[3] The site frequently employs descriptors such as "greentard", "fraud", "wind factories" etc. [4]

The website does not pretend to be objective, it only posts comments and opinions that are opposed to wind energy while it actively blocks any comments that favour wind energy or contradict claims made on the blog. STT does not allow those it criticises to have a right of reply.

STT accuses wind energy proponents of dishonesty yet it engages in exactly that practice by insisting landholders hosting turbines are forced to sign clauses despite evidence to the contrary from numerous industry sources. [5] The site also presents numerous claims that are factually incorrect. << ---- Sourcewatch
Moreover --- even your oil-shill site doesn't try to float this turd that wind turbines themselves emit CO2 --- it's about their construction.

This is by far the most retarded thread I've read all day.

Wind Turbines CO2 pollution, it is a theme of mine, and when I find new information that confirms this fact I like to share it. CO2, Wind Turbine manufacture (as well as Solar Panel manufacture) is now the largest new source of CO2 in the atmosphere. It is a figure that is never discussed and completely absent from all the Green Renewable energy websites.H]

It is also a figure not mentioned in your citing an anti-windmill blog.

The basic dishonesty about all of your rants is that you are just anti-alternative energy- and are just looking for reasons to complain.

And that is why you never compare apples to oranges- which is why you never compare a CO2's wind Turbines CO2 emissions with say that of a coal or natural gas power plant.

And why you will rant about bird deaths(using old data from old style wind turbines) but never want to discuss the number of birds killed each year by traditional electrical power lines or the overall effect on bird health from coal emissions.

Why you are so obsessively against anything but traditional power generation(nuclear,coal, NG) I don't know- but I do know you have never had an honest thread about it.

From a site that admits right in its header, "We're not here to debate the wind industry, we're here to DESTROY it".

>> Stop These Things (STT) is an anti-wind website promoting anecdotes and pseudoscience intended to cast doubt on the effectiveness of wind energy. The website also promotes claims alleging people living in close proximity to wind turbines suffer assorted detrimental health conditions.

The creator and moderator of the website is unknown and unaccountable yet readily posts any unfounded, ill informed attack, distortion or blatant lie directed at pro-wind individuals or groups.[1]

STT complains about vilification and victimisation without providing any evidence yet the site moderator and many supporters consistently engage in vilification of opponents as illustrated by these various posts.[3] The site frequently employs descriptors such as "greentard", "fraud", "wind factories" etc. [4]

The website does not pretend to be objective, it only posts comments and opinions that are opposed to wind energy while it actively blocks any comments that favour wind energy or contradict claims made on the blog. STT does not allow those it criticises to have a right of reply.

STT accuses wind energy proponents of dishonesty yet it engages in exactly that practice by insisting landholders hosting turbines are forced to sign clauses despite evidence to the contrary from numerous industry sources. [5] The site also presents numerous claims that are factually incorrect. << ---- Sourcewatch
Moreover --- even your oil-shill site doesn't try to float this turd that wind turbines themselves emit CO2 --- it's about their construction.

I.e. a typical Elektra thread on power.

I.e. a typical Elektra thread on power.

Yeah this thread comes with much CO2 emission. Actually I don't think it's CO2... :9:

Wind Turbines CO2 pollution, it is a theme of mine, H]

And obsession is more like it.
Thank you for confirming that there is no response to the facts in my OP, simply an attack on me personally.

There are no "facts" in your OP. And the disingenuous title you hung on this thread is where you attacked yourself.
Good job too.
Using Heavy Industry to process raw materials into Steel, and Concrete which Wind Turbines has increased demand for does not increase CO2, proportionately?

I would love to hear you explanation of this miracle, to produce billions of tons of materials for wind turbines yet not increase CO2

Wind Turbines CO2 pollution, it is a theme of mine, and when I find new information that confirms this fact I like to share it. CO2, Wind Turbine manufacture (as well as Solar Panel manufacture) is now the largest new source of CO2 in the atmosphere. It is a figure that is never discussed and completely absent from all the Green Renewable energy websites.H]

The basic dishonesty about all of your rants is that you are just anti-alternative energy- and are just looking for reasons to complain.

And that is why you never compare apples to oranges- which is why you never compare a CO2's wind Turbines CO2 emissions with say that of a coal or natural gas power plant.

And why you will rant about bird deaths(using old data from old style wind turbines) but never want to discuss the number of birds killed each year by traditional electrical power lines or the overall effect on bird health from coal emissions.

Why you are so obsessively against anything but traditional power generation(nuclear,coal, NG) I don't know- but I do know you have never had an honest thread about it.
Coal is used to manufacture Wind Turbines, Wind Turbine manufacture is a new industry, it is time Wind Turbines be held accountable for the CO2 emitted during the manufacture of the various materials.

I did not have room for the word manufacturing in my title, the title is factually correct, wind turbines must account for the manufacturing emissions.

241.85 tons of CO2 to buil
Wind Turbines CO2 pollution, it is a theme of mine, and when I find new information that confirms this fact I like to share it. CO2, Wind Turbine manufacture (as well as Solar Panel manufacture) is now the largest new source of CO2 in the atmosphere. It is a figure that is never discussed and completely absent from all the Green Renewable energy websites.

This article looks like it is only addressing the rebar and concrete, neglecting the production of fiberglass and the other exotic materials

How Much CO2 Gets Emitted to Build a Wind Turbine?
Its carbon footprint is massive – try 241.85 tons of CO2.

Here’s the breakdown of the CO2 numbers.

To create a 1,000 Kg of pig iron, you start with 1,800 Kg of iron ore, 900 Kg of coking coal 450 Kg of limestone. The blast furnace consumes 4,500 Kg of air. The temperature at the core of the blast furnace reaches nearly 1,600 degrees C (about 3,000 degrees F).

The pig iron is then transferred to the basic oxygen furnace to make steel.

1,350 Kg of CO2 is emitted per 1,000 Kg pig iron produced.

A further 1,460 Kg CO2 is emitted per 1,000 Kg of Steel produced so all up 2,810 Kg CO2 is emitted.
45 tons of rebar (steel) are required so that equals 126.45 tons of CO2 are emitted.
To create a 1,000 Kg of Portland cement, calcium carbonate (60%), silicon (20%), aluminium (10%), iron (10%) and very small amounts of other ingredients are heated in a large kiln to over 1,500 degrees C to convert the raw materials into clinker. The clinker is then interground with other ingredients to produce the final cement product. When cement is mixed with water, sand and gravel forms the rock-like mass know as concrete.

An average of 927 Kg of CO2 is emitted per 1,000 Kg of Portland cement. On average, concrete has 10% cement, with the balance being gravel (41%), sand (25%), water (18%) and air (6%). One cubic metre of concrete weighs approx. 2,400 Kg so approx. 240 Kg of CO2 is emitted for every cubic metre.

481m3 of concrete are required so that equals 115.4 tons of CO2 are emitted.

View attachment 68267

241.85 tons of CO2 to produce a wind farm with 20 COMPLETELY UNSPECIFIED wind turbines. That didn't make you suspicious that they had all those precise numbers for rebar and concrete but never managed to identify the size or capacity of the wind turbines they were talking about? Visiting another anti-wind-turbine site I find four "popular" models listed. Two make 1.5 MW, one makes 1.8 and one makes 2 MW. Let's take an average and say that 242 tons of CO2 were produced making 20, 1.7 MW turbines. When the wind's blowing, that farm will produce 34 MW. How long would it take to produce 242 tons of CO2 making 34 MW with natural gas or coal. Let's find out.

Consulting the table at How much carbon dioxide is produced per kilowatthour when generating electricity with fossil fuels? - FAQ - U.S. Energy Information Administration (EIA)
we find an average of 1.84 pounds of CO2 are produced per kwh from fossil fuel. To equal the 34 MW produced by the wind farm running at full tilt would require [(241.85 tons x 2000 pounds per ton) / (34000 kilowatts x 1.84 pounds CO2 per kilowatt)] = 483,700 pounds CO2 / 62,560 pounds CO2 per hour = 7.73 hours.

It's not clear from the article, but suppose we assume they weren't talking about an entire 20 turbine wind farm but only a single turbine. Why then it would take an incredible 7.73 hours x 20 = 154.6 hours or 6.44 days.

End this stupid fucking joke dude.

241.85 tons of CO2 to produce a wind farm with 20 COMPLETELY UNSPECIFIED wind turbines. That didn't make you suspicious that they had all those precise numbers for rebar and concrete but never managed to identify the size or capacity of the wind turbines they were talking about? Visiting another anti-wind-turbine site I find four "popular" models listed. Two make 1.5 MW, one makes 1.8 and one makes 2 MW. Let's take an average and say that 242 tons of CO2 were produced making 20, 1.7 MW turbines. When the wind's blowing, that farm will produce 34 MW. How long would it take to produce 242 tons of CO2 making 34 MW with natural gas or coal. Let's find out.

Consulting the table at How much carbon dioxide is produced per kilowatthour when generating electricity with fossil fuels? - FAQ - U.S. Energy Information Administration (EIA)
we find an average of 1.84 pounds of CO2 are produced per kwh from fossil fuel. To equal the 34 MW produced by the wind farm running at full tilt would require [(241.85 tons x 2000 pounds per ton) / (34000 kilowatts x 1.84 pounds CO2 per kilowatt)] = 483,700 pounds CO2 / 62,560 pounds CO2 per hour = 7.73 hours.

It's not clear from the article, but suppose we assume they weren't talking about an entire 20 turbine wind farm but only a single turbine. Why then it would take an incredible 7.73 hours x 20 = 154.6 hours or 6.44 days.

End this stupid fucking joke dude.
That is 241.85 tons per wind turbine, not per wind farm. At that it is a new source of CO2, pretty significant.

So many different materials to consider as well as the CO2 emitted.

http://ec.europa.eu/environment/lif....cfm?fuseaction=search.dspPage&n_proj_id=3283

The production of glass fibre consumes high levels of energy and material. For each kilogramme of glass melted, 1 kg of carbon dioxide (CO2) is emitted into the atmosphere, in addition to nitrogen oxide and dioxide (NOx), sulphur dioxide (SO2), chloride, fluoride, volatile organic compounds (VOC) and particles. Furthermore 17 GJ of power are consumed for every tonne of melted glass.

So.. it might make it what? Ten hours? Just drop it dude. This argument of yours is an absolute, total, balls-to-the-wall JOKE.

So.. it might make it what? Ten hours? Just drop it dude. This argument of yours is an absolute, total, balls-to-the-wall JOKE.
More than 200 tons of fiberglass per Wind Turbine, Crick. That is another 100 tons of CO2, there are plans for how many Wind Turbines? 100,000? That is 10,000,000 tons of extra CO2 emitted into the air.

With the Steel and Cement, we are looking at the minimum of 50,000,000 tons of CO2, added to the atmosphere! That does not include the roads that are built to install the Wind Turbines, the Trucks used to transport, the Trains used to Transport, or the 100's of miles of transmission cables.

Coal is used to manufacture Wind Turbines, Wind Turbine manufacture is a new industry, it is time Wind Turbines be held accountable for the CO2 emitted during the manufacture of the various materials.

So compare the carbon footprints if you dare.

Compare apples to apples- why aren't you holding coal or nuclear power plants for the CO2 emitted during the manufacture of those plants- and of the materials used to produce those plants?

Because your anti-wind power threads are inherently dishonest.

More than 200 tons of fiberglass per Wind Turbine, Crick. That is another 100 tons of CO2, there are plans for how many Wind Turbines? 100,000? That is 10,000,000 tons of extra CO2 emitted into the air.

With the Steel and Cement, we are looking at the minimum of 50,000,000 tons of CO2, added to the atmosphere! That does not include the roads that are built to install the Wind Turbines, the Trucks used to transport, the Trains used to Transport, or the 100's of miles of transmission cables.

And the fiberglass, steel and cement to build a natural gas power plant?

The trains used to transport the millions of tons of coal necessary to run a coal fired plant?

Your threads are devoid of intellectual honesty.

I did not have room for the word manufacturing in my title, the title is factually correct, wind turbines must account for the manufacturing emissions.

You always seem to not have room for honesty.

Forum List

Back