Will the United States again respect Science?

As with other disciplines, Americans have been subjected to a contempt for the science of climatology that has festered in the highest echelons of government recently.

The stark disparity between reality and crackpot notions has dire ramifications, and no, ingesting disinfectants will not protect you from the ravages of unchecked fossil fuel consumption.
Climate change is making people sick and leading to premature death, according to a pair of influential reports on the connections between global warming and health.

Scientists from the World Meteorological Organization released a preliminary report on the global climate which shows that the last decade was the warmest on record and that millions of people were affected by wildfires, floods and extreme heat this year on top of the global pandemic.

Separately, a sprawling analysis published Wednesday by the medical research journal The Lancet focuses on public health data from 2019, and finds that heat waves, air pollution and extreme weather increasingly damage human health. It is the most comprehensive annual report yet on the nexus of climate and health, and is routinely cited by climate policymakers. The authors include dozens of physicians and public health experts from around the world.

Both reports make an explicit connection between death, disease and burning fossil fuels.

This foolishness has not only been an embarrassment for the United States that has surrendered leadership in the global crisis. It is a perverse refutation that will have severe economic impact, provoke mass migrations, and destroy quality of life for humans as well as other species.

Will the nation step up to face this enormous challenge that is already wreaking havoc?

Science doesn't supply easy, "black and white", and quick answers. So to answer the question in the title...no.

Some will still rely on it when it benefits them....but as far as starting every sentence with "The science suggests...." No.

Yes it does.

Annoying when people who have no idea how science works comment on it.

Actually it hardly ever provides these easy, "black and white", quick answers. Lifestyle choices kill some in short amounts of time or even instantly (drug use, poor diet, lack of exercise). Others have the same exact diet, lack of exercise, and use drugs and hang around much longer.

Jump to lava and see how fast it kills you.

Simple basic truths (proven by science) are not likely to change.

Other more complex questions (ones you're not equipped to consider) are not explained by science.

Yes... it will be a hard case to make. Climate science is going 0-666 in court.

Open-and-shut ... I could try this case myself ... Congress alone has authority to write climate laws ... Article I of the US Constitution ... all courts in the land must uphold that written law ...

As with other disciplines, Americans have been subjected to a contempt for the science of climatology that has festered in the highest echelons of government recently.

The stark disparity between reality and crackpot notions has dire ramifications, and no, ingesting disinfectants will not protect you from the ravages of unchecked fossil fuel consumption.
Climate change is making people sick and leading to premature death, according to a pair of influential reports on the connections between global warming and health.

Scientists from the World Meteorological Organization released a preliminary report on the global climate which shows that the last decade was the warmest on record and that millions of people were affected by wildfires, floods and extreme heat this year on top of the global pandemic.

Separately, a sprawling analysis published Wednesday by the medical research journal The Lancet focuses on public health data from 2019, and finds that heat waves, air pollution and extreme weather increasingly damage human health. It is the most comprehensive annual report yet on the nexus of climate and health, and is routinely cited by climate policymakers. The authors include dozens of physicians and public health experts from around the world.

Both reports make an explicit connection between death, disease and burning fossil fuels.

This foolishness has not only been an embarrassment for the United States that has surrendered leadership in the global crisis. It is a perverse refutation that will have severe economic impact, provoke mass migrations, and destroy quality of life for humans as well as other species.

Will the nation step up to face this enormous challenge that is already wreaking havoc?
Are you talking about science, or the political game of science. Big difference.

Right. And that's what "settled science" is, in the scientific community: something so well established that it is accepted that it can be assumed as true for the purpose of continuing. Might something "settled" be upended? Yes.

Holy BeJesus ... how much money do you have in your IRA that you pay capital gains tax? ... may I suggest real estate for some of your extra retirement savings ...

If you honestly thought Biden was going to move the poor into new homes, you'd be buying building lots right now ... duh ...

I never said new homes. I also never said IRA's would be subject to higher capital gains either. But it's like what Ronald Reagan once said: If you want more of something, subsidize it. If you want less of something, tax it.

We little people rely on all those evil rich people who do make huge investments in the market. it's how our shares grow. I already invested in real estate over 25 years ago. Now retired, it's a good supplement to my income.

Is this a Democrat complaining about conservatives rejecting science? Laughable.

Someone explain to the OP PROGS are led by emotion & ignorance while conservatives are practical & rational.
* proceeds to whine about gay marriage because baby jesus

WRONG. Homosexuality is a contradiction to the most fundamental component for survival of species. It's foolish to consider homosexuality even remotely the same as heterosexuality. The purpose for marriage is to support the human species, families, stability and nations. But PROGS no longer believe in that shit do they? First they replaced black men with welfare, then they declared toxic masculinity, then they reduced the meaning of marriage to appease BS narratives, and now you're worried about what panties you're sporting tomorrow.

Turns out gays have the same constitutional rights as everyone else, but PROGS twist reality to consistently entertain the lowest common denominators.

Oh look, practical and rational and not a word of Christ.

• Funny
Reactions: cnm

Fuck No.

We will now put our faith in morons who somehow believe this AGW bullshit is real.

Right. And that's what "settled science" is, in the scientific community: something so well established that it is accepted that it can be assumed as true for the purpose of continuing. Might something "settled" be upended? Yes.
Correct. Science is settled until it isn't. Lava destroying you (the mind-blowingly stupid example given by Norman ) isn't likely to change. Science can't explain a lot of things. What is the matter between the stars in the heavens? Nobody knows. What happened to Venus that caused it to be like it is? Nobody knows. Why can't you tickle yourself? It hasn't been settled.

Climate science has never been proven in court before judge.
It absolutely has. In the "courts" where science is tried, it has. And there are mountains of evidence.

It absolutely has. In the "courts" where science is tried, it has.

How's Michael Mann doing in court? LOL!
No idea what you are babbling about.

Of course you don't.

Another defeat for Michael Mann the fake hockey stick man | Catallaxy Files
I am not going to sift through an article you never read and spoonfeed it back to you. Make your point, in your big boy words.

Michael Mann filed a defamation lawsuit in 2012 against National Review, Mark Steyn, the Competitive Enterprise Institute and Rand Simberg.

Your ignorance of the issue is unsurprising.

... a guy who's going to increase our capital gains taxes so our market slows down where many of us have our IRA's in ...

Holy BeJesus ... how much money do you have in your IRA that you pay capital gains tax? ... may I suggest real estate for some of your extra retirement savings ...

If you honestly thought Biden was going to move the poor into new homes, you'd be buying building lots right now ... duh ...

how much money do you have in your IRA that you pay capital gains tax? ...

You realize that if a capital gains tax hike makes stock prices go down, stocks in IRAs go down.

How seriously one takes science depends on if the science supports the political agenda you are trying to push.
Maybe for you.

I hate Big Oil ... I see them as my enemy ... the enemy of the People ... those are some rude bastards alright ... I want an immediate $10 a gallon tax on gasoline, drive Big Oil into the grave ... pull our diplomates out of every oil producing country including Canada and Mexico ... fuck Oil ... it took Exxon 22 years to pay one goddam red cent to native Prince George's Sound fishermen ... they had to move away when the Exxon Valdez poisoned all the fish ... fuck that ... city slickers are the problem, burning that filthy shit to haul in their gluttony and obesity ... their only redeeming feature is they sink excess carbon from the atmosphere ...

The only good oilman is a dead oilman ...

Damn right I take climatology seriously ... but it ain't there ... I honestly wish is was ... but it's not ... simple market pressure will limit burning fossil fuels, and in more than enough time ... we can't burn the stuff fast enough to make any change in climate ... worst case is a tiny increase, couple of degrees centigrade ... [sigh] ...

That's what the physics says ...

Probably not...Kim Stanley Robinson has a series of science fiction books that feature climate change...he calls this era, "The Dithering'...and so it is. He also predict that
'Boomer' will become an insult..denoting a wasteful person whose selfishness condemns later generations to decades of austerity..and millions of deaths.

Great writer....probably a bit too....everything...for right-wingers.

He's a bit too much of a moron. He's a "science fiction" writer. Did you notice the "fiction" part?

A SciFi writer gave us the concept of a geostationary satellite.

Science is not infallible.

But it's better than mysticism.

There is real science and there is democrat science. Only a fool would take democrat science seriously.
There is only science. It is non-partisan and non-political..at least..until the politicians and partisans get a-hold of it.

Republican 'science' is not a good look either...climate change deniers are among some of the stupidest people I've ever met.
Talk about science? You figured out your DNA yet?

how much money do you have in your IRA that you pay capital gains tax? ...
You realize that if a capital gains tax hike makes stock prices go down, stocks in IRAs go down.

Wait a minute ... capital gains is taxed when the asset is liquidated ... why are you investing in companies that are being liquidated? ... God, I hope you have an investment manager ...

Companies typically roll over capital gains ... there's several ways to do this ... the only time capital gains would be taken out of the company is if the shareholders voted for a cash payment ... and either pay 20% capital gains tax or 20% dividend tax ... not both ...

The poster that started this already admitted he's some Middle Class slob ... so in every way, he'd be better off paying straight income tax of 15% on this ... capital gains tax is for the Rich so they don't have to pay the 38% income tax rate ...

In general, share prices depend on dividend payments ... so there's nothing about a rarely used tax rate that would change these payments ... IBM sell a factory, they'll just invest in another factory ... they don't go out buying TV's and airplanes with the money ... sheesh ...

How seriously one takes science depends on if the science supports the political agenda you are trying to push.
Maybe for you.

I hate Big Oil ... I see them as my enemy ... the enemy of the People ... those are some rude bastards alright ... I want an immediate $10 a gallon tax on gasoline, drive Big Oil into the grave ... pull our diplomates out of every oil producing country including Canada and Mexico ... fuck Oil ... it took Exxon 22 years to pay one goddam red cent to native Prince George's Sound fishermen ... they had to move away when the Exxon Valdez poisoned all the fish ... fuck that ... city slickers are the problem, burning that filthy shit to haul in their gluttony and obesity ... their only redeeming feature is they sink excess carbon from the atmosphere ...

The only good oilman is a dead oilman ...

Damn right I take climatology seriously ... but it ain't there ... I honestly wish is was ... but it's not ... simple market pressure will limit burning fossil fuels, and in more than enough time ... we can't burn the stuff fast enough to make any change in climate ... worst case is a tiny increase, couple of degrees centigrade ... [sigh] ...

That's what the physics says ...
You do like to eat? Well if it wasn't for oil, get ready to plant and raise your protein on your own. Are you ready?

A SciFi writer gave us the concept of a geostationary satellite.

Johannes Kepler was an early 17th Century astronomer ... his 3rd Law predicts the geostationary orbit ... about 23,000 miles above the Earth surface ... a satellite there will remain over the exact same spot on the Earth's surface ... parking space is limited, contact NASA to find out how to get one there ...

You do like to eat? Well if it wasn't for oil, get ready to plant and raise your protein on your own. Are you ready?

Oh hell yeah ... all the bottom land around here is as fertile as any new soil could be ... it wouldn't take long to convert these pastures into productive farm lands ... hydro-power in abundance and cheap ... scary amounts of water, crystal clean mountain fresh spring water everyplace, it's a damn nuisance to be honest ... swap my pickup for a Chevy Volt and I'm fossil fuel free ...

Science tells me that you're directly-descended from pond scum, and I respect that scientific theory. I'll prove it to you, using science:

You believe in the Theory of Evolution, right? Evolution teaches that all life evolved from single-celled lifeforms that first emerged 3.8 billion years ago. In other words, your descendants were all pond scum.

I on the other hand, am directly descended from God. He created me in His own image, not in the image of you liberal pond scum.

https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Genesis 1:27&version=KJV
Interesting. Are you claiming god is absent from pond scum?

There is real science and there is democrat science. Only a fool would take democrat science seriously.
There is only science. It is non-partisan and non-political..at least..until the politicians and partisans get a-hold of it.

Republican 'science' is not a good look either...climate change deniers are among some of the stupidest people I've ever met.
Talk about science? You figured out your DNA yet?
"figured out my DNA'..now there's a stumper..wtf are you talking about?

Forum List

Back