Will/should it be illegal for humans to drive on public roads when self-driving cars become more advanced and widespread?

I think there will be areas in cities that will be exclusively self-driven vehicles. But then, that would alleviate the need for extensive parking in those areas.

What do they the self driving vehicles do, simply disappear at the destination?

They drive to a remote location. They do not need to be close.

Why? That would be inefficient and would you enjoy not having your vehicle at hand, but have to wait for it to return to your location?

Considering the cost of land in urban areas, the cost of parking will continue to rise. Having cheaper parking and being able to use the land currently occupied by parking lots would be efficient.

Also, when ever I have worked downtown, it was exceedingly rare that I did not know 30 minutes prior to leaving that I would need my car. And rather than walk to the parking lot, it would pick me up at the front door of my office.

OK. you got called on your extreme lack of logic and are now tap dancing with the best of them. For what it it worth, I have NEVER worked iin a downtown area, If it as you describe it, why would a company locate there?

I am not tap dancing at all. What work I have done downtown has been in the fiber optics industry. Banks, insurance companies, brokerages and many other high end businesses seem to like being down town.
So you pull cable for a living, making minimum wage! Gotcha!

I don't think driving will be banned, there is a lot of people who like to drive.

But I say there could be roads that certain lanes would be no driver but the speed limit could be much higher e.g. >150mph. The tech could drastically reduce times. Driverless could be a major advantage, as for black ice cars would know the temp of the road and reduce speed accordingly...

Trucks could end up being more like trains with only one person leading out many trucks... Even rural roads can be self drive, it just about the technology which will

The tech will get a lot cheaper in next ten years. Europe are making Electric Cars cheaper from a tax point of view...

Roads are designed with maximum speed in most locations. A self-driving car might run 150 mph with no other cars on the road on rural interstates that are mostly straight. Try to imagine driving at 150mph through West Virginia where sometimes curves on Interstate 64 at 45 mph cause you to have a significant pucker factor.

You apparently know nothing about "black ice". Black ice, freezing rain, sleet and snow can all occur at the exact same temperature.

A self-driving car would most likely be electric and it would never have the power to maintain that speed of very long.

Electrics cars can now drive hundreds of miles between charges. Unless there was some emergency, they would not be driving 150 mph, unless it was an open, straight road.

As the technology improves, almost at the instant the wheels lost traction, the car would respond. And respond properly every time. One advantage a self-driving car would have is that the computer does not get impatient like a driver does. Nor does it get fatigued. And current models of EVs have sensors and cameras that can tell exactly how far away the cars are in front of it, behind it, and all around. And it does this simultaneously. Unlike human drivers, who should scan their mirrors every 3 to 5 second, but most don't.

I have three words for you...

Lead...fuel...additive.

The last car that ran on leaded gas rolled off the assembly line 40 years ago...yet I can and do buy lead fuel additive off the shelf in every auto parts store in the nation. I have two vehicles that are leaded gas only.

That's what you're looking at. At LEAST forty years from the date these hypothetical perfect automated vehicles become the norm.

If that's in a decade...I'll be over 100 by the time it becomes an issue.

I think there will be areas in cities that will be exclusively self-driven vehicles. But then, that would alleviate the need for extensive parking in those areas.

What do they the self driving vehicles do, simply disappear at the destination?

They drive to a remote location. They do not need to be close.

Why? That would be inefficient and would you enjoy not having your vehicle at hand, but have to wait for it to return to your location?

Considering the cost of land in urban areas, the cost of parking will continue to rise. Having cheaper parking and being able to use the land currently occupied by parking lots would be efficient.

Also, when ever I have worked downtown, it was exceedingly rare that I did not know 30 minutes prior to leaving that I would need my car. And rather than walk to the parking lot, it would pick me up at the front door of my office.

OK. you got called on your extreme lack of logic and are now tap dancing with the best of them. For what it it worth, I have NEVER worked iin a downtown area, If it as you describe it, why would a company locate there?

I am not tap dancing at all. What work I have done downtown has been in the fiber optics industry. Banks, insurance companies, brokerages and many other high end businesses seem to like being down town.
So you pull cable for a living, making minimum wage! Gotcha!

First of all, stay on topic.

Second of all, even those pulling cable in the duct work make far more than minimum wage. And no, I was managing the projects, supervising, a safety inspector or mapping.

I have three words for you...

Lead...fuel...additive.

The last car that ran on leaded gas rolled off the assembly line 40 years ago...yet I can and do buy lead fuel additive off the shelf in every auto parts store in the nation. I have two vehicles that are leaded gas only.

That's what you're looking at. At LEAST forty years from the date these hypothetical perfect automated vehicles become the norm.

If that's in a decade...I'll be over 100 by the time it becomes an issue.

Oh I have no doubt that what we are talking about will happen after I am dead. But that doesn't change my interest in the topic.

I don't think driving will be banned, there is a lot of people who like to drive.

But I say there could be roads that certain lanes would be no driver but the speed limit could be much higher e.g. >150mph. The tech could drastically reduce times. Driverless could be a major advantage, as for black ice cars would know the temp of the road and reduce speed accordingly...

Trucks could end up being more like trains with only one person leading out many trucks... Even rural roads can be self drive, it just about the technology which will

The tech will get a lot cheaper in next ten years. Europe are making Electric Cars cheaper from a tax point of view...

Roads are designed with maximum speed in most locations. A self-driving car might run 150 mph with no other cars on the road on rural interstates that are mostly straight. Try to imagine driving at 150mph through West Virginia where sometimes curves on Interstate 64 at 45 mph cause you to have a significant pucker factor.

You apparently know nothing about "black ice". Black ice, freezing rain, sleet and snow can all occur at the exact same temperature.

A self-driving car would most likely be electric and it would never have the power to maintain that speed of very long.

Electrics cars can now drive hundreds of miles between charges. Unless there was some emergency, they would not be driving 150 mph, unless it was an open, straight road.

As the technology improves, almost at the instant the wheels lost traction, the car would respond. And respond properly every time. One advantage a self-driving car would have is that the computer does not get impatient like a driver does. Nor does it get fatigued. And current models of EVs have sensors and cameras that can tell exactly how far away the cars are in front of it, behind it, and all around. And it does this simultaneously. Unlike human drivers, who should scan their mirrors every 3 to 5 second, but most don't.

Never took physics I see. Typical UA dumbass!

You basically agreed with everything I said and then said I was wrong. That meth is not doing you any good.

I have bad news for you, my current vehicle (5 years old) already has traction control. I am sorry your 1998 Smart Car does not. That does not detect black ice as you claimed it could, because the effect is exactly the same regardless of why your vehicle lost traction.

Unless you know something about the topic you are not revealing, let's just agree you are full of shit. By the way, I am sorry your last Smart Car was totaled when you hit that squirrel. I was glad to hear the squirrel walked away, unhurt,

You basically agreed with everything I said and then said I was wrong. That meth is not doing you any good.

I have bad news for you, my current vehicle (5 years old) already has traction control. I am sorry your 1998 Smart Car does not. That does not detect black ice as you claimed it could, because the effect is exactly the same regardless of why your vehicle lost traction.

Unless you know something about the topic you are not revealing, let's just agree you are full of shit. By the way, I am sorry your last Smart Car was totaled when you hit that squirrel. I was glad to hear the squirrel walked away, unhurt,

Yes, I took physics. No idea what laws of physics you think I have broken. Enough with the UA crap.

The responses of a self driving car can be far more than just traction control.

Did I say it detected black ice? Or are you just making up more bullshit?

I haven't seen you post anything of any remarkable intellect. Your comments about driving 150 mph in West Virginia certainly weren't.

And this pretense that you know what I do for a living, what I drive and what I know is just bullshit. Quit the condescending bullshit and just discuss the actual topic. Ok?

Yes, I took physics. No idea what laws of physics you think I have broken. Enough with the UA crap.

I haven't seen you post anything of any remarkable intellect. Your comments about driving 150 mph in West Virginia certainly weren't.

And this pretense that you know what I do for a living, what I drive and what I know is just bullshit. Quit the condescending bullshit and just discuss the actual topic. Ok?

You need to read the thread.

If you you didn't want to be given crap about UA, perhaps you should have gone elsewhere,

A battery contains only so much energy. How far with a car go at 50 mph as opposed to 150 mph? Which gets the best mileage: a) a car in the winter in Minnesota or B) a car in the summer in Arizona?

If you you didn't want to be given crap about UA, perhaps you should have gone elsewhere,

A battery contains only so much energy. How far with a car go at 50 mph as opposed to 150 mph? Which gets the best mileage: a) a car in the winter in Minnesota or B) a car in the summer in Arizona?

Who is driving 150 mph?

Yes, batteries only contain so much energy.

Here is a link to real world ranges of modern EVs.
Real-World Range Test Of 12 Electric Cars: Results Compared To EPA (insideevs.com)

Of the 12 cars listed, 11 have ranges that exceed 200 miles.

I have read the thread. No, I did not say the car would detect black ice. I talked about how it responded to it, but not that it detected it.

FYI, I went to the UA, and have no problem with that. But your constant remarks about it, probably stemming from the Alabama/auburn rivalry, are off topic and worthless on almost all the threads.

Who is driving 150 mph?

Real-World Range Test Of 12 Electric Cars: Results Compared To EPA (insideevs.com)

I have read the thread. No, I did not say the car would detect black ice. I talked about how it responded to it, but not that it detected it.

FYI, I went to the UA, and have no problem with that. But your constant remarks about it, probably stemming from the Alabama/auburn rivalry, are off topic and worthless on almost all the threads.

You obviously did not take physics or you would have answered the questions.

Let me translate that last paragraph for the rest of our readers:

"Waaaaahhhh"

You are a whiney bastard, you realize that?

Who is driving 150 mph?

"Waaaaahhhh"

Did you find the post where I claimed a self-driving car would detect black ice?

Your claim about my ignorance in physics was a response to my comment that EVs have a range of hundreds of miles (200+). I answered that.

How about addressing the topic? Or have you run out of things to say? You could always go back to the nonsense about driving 150 mph in West Virginia. That was hilarious.

Who is driving 150 mph?

"Waaaaahhhh"

Did you find the post where I claimed a self-driving car would detect black ice?

Your claim about my ignorance in physics was a response to my comment that EVs have a range of hundreds of miles (200+). I answered that.

How about addressing the topic? Or have you run out of things to say? You could always go back to the nonsense about driving 150 mph in West Virginia. That was hilarious.

I told you to read the thread. Since that is beyond your limited intellectual capabilities, I will simply leave you being stupid. Please exit the thread as you are a pathetic excuse for a supposedly intelligent person. It's a miracle you can keep a job with your inability to read and answer simple questions. Goodnight and enjoy being a moron. Apparently, that's all you have going for you.

Who is driving 150 mph?

"Waaaaahhhh"

I told you to read the thread. Since that is beyond your limited intellectual capabilities, I will simply leave you being stupid. Please exit the thread as you are a pathetic excuse for a supposedly intelligent person. It's a miracle you can keep a job with your inability to read and answer simple questions. Goodnight and enjoy being a moron. Apparently, that's all you have going for you.

I thought you wouldn't find the post you claim exists.

Have a good night. I'll still be here tomorrow.

Whoa, not sure I can agree there. As the world's best snow driver I'll put my instincts against any machine
Intuition and instinct. Something we will never be able to "code".
There is a point, and folks like myself who ride dangerous machines like dirt bikes or snowmobiles or even a race car driver understand is this, when the line between operator and machine become symbiotic and the machine is simply an extension of your body.
There really is the concept of 'feeling' the road and no amount of programming will recreate that.

Who is driving 150 mph?

"Waaaaahhhh"

I said to read the God damned thread. But you cannot. Fuck you and the horse you rode in on!

Who is driving 150 mph?

"Waaaaahhhh"

I said to read the God damned thread. But you cannot. Fuck you and the horse you rode in on!

Your ego really is tied up in these posts, isn't it. lol

New Topics

Forum List

Back