Will/should it be illegal for humans to drive on public roads when self-driving cars become more advanced and widespread?

So are RV's and towable systems for trailers for recreational vehicles like snowmobiles, ATV's and boats going to be incorporated into this automated system? Work trailers? Or do we just ban all of it?
Sounds perfectly boring.
I am sure there will be maintenance vehicles with human drivers. But systems for towing trailers already exist. There are 18 wheelers that can operate without drivers right now.
I am talking about towing my boat or toys, and is my boat self driving also, since we can't trust human drivers? and the OP hasn't addressed my point of towing in winter conditions with blinded sensors.

Can we really trust self driving semi trucks in a snowstorm? Or does all traffic stop for a three day storm?

As I said in my first post, I think it will be select urban sections first. We will not see exclusively self-driving cars outside of that in our lifetime.

Driving a semi in a snowstorm would probably be better handled by a computer. It gives instant reaction to the skid, never turns too much or applies too much brake, and will instantly let the other self-driving vehicles know where the black ice is and how bad.

Also, if you cannot see the road, can you be safe? With the advancements in GPS technology, the self-driving semi will know exactly where to drive.

Whoa, not sure I can agree there. As the world's best snow driver I'll put my instincts against any machine anywhere any time.

I am not doubting your snow driving capabilities. But you are probably not the norm.

I think there will be areas in cities that will be exclusively self-driven vehicles. But then, that would alleviate the need for extensive parking in those areas.

What do they the self driving vehicles do, simply disappear at the destination?

They drive to a remote location. They do not need to be close.

Why? That would be inefficient and would you enjoy not having your vehicle at hand, but have to wait for it to return to your location?

I don't think driving will be banned, there is a lot of people who like to drive.

But I say there could be roads that certain lanes would be no driver but the speed limit could be much higher e.g. >150mph. The tech could drastically reduce times. Driverless could be a major advantage, as for black ice cars would know the temp of the road and reduce speed accordingly...

Trucks could end up being more like trains with only one person leading out many trucks... Even rural roads can be self drive, it just about the technology which will

The tech will get a lot cheaper in next ten years. Europe are making Electric Cars cheaper from a tax point of view...

I think there will be areas in cities that will be exclusively self-driven vehicles. But then, that would alleviate the need for extensive parking in those areas.

Why? That would be inefficient and would you enjoy not having your vehicle at hand, but have to wait for it to return to your location?

Considering the cost of land in urban areas, the cost of parking will continue to rise. Having cheaper parking and being able to use the land currently occupied by parking lots would be efficient.

Also, when ever I have worked downtown, it was exceedingly rare that I did not know 30 minutes prior to leaving that I would need my car. And rather than walk to the parking lot, it would pick me up at the front door of my office.

So are RV's and towable systems for trailers for recreational vehicles like snowmobiles, ATV's and boats going to be incorporated into this automated system? Work trailers? Or do we just ban all of it?
Sounds perfectly boring.
I am sure there will be maintenance vehicles with human drivers. But systems for towing trailers already exist. There are 18 wheelers that can operate without drivers right now.
I am talking about towing my boat or toys, and is my boat self driving also, since we can't trust human drivers? and the OP hasn't addressed my point of towing in winter conditions with blinded sensors.

Can we really trust self driving semi trucks in a snowstorm? Or does all traffic stop for a three day storm?

As I said in my first post, I think it will be select urban sections first. We will not see exclusively self-driving cars outside of that in our lifetime.

Driving a semi in a snowstorm would probably be better handled by a computer. It gives instant reaction to the skid, never turns too much or applies too much brake, and will instantly let the other self-driving vehicles know where the black ice is and how bad.

Also, if you cannot see the road, can you be safe? With the advancements in GPS technology, the self-driving semi will know exactly where to drive.

Whoa, not sure I can agree there. As the world's best snow driver I'll put my instincts against any machine anywhere any time.

I am not doubting your snow driving capabilities. But you are probably not the norm.

See, that right there ^^ --- that's why they made you a moderator.

Well played sir. Well played. :thup:

They automatically return to the Joe Biden Memorial Garage for Central Control in the Forbidden Zone.

I don't think driving will be banned, there is a lot of people who like to drive.

But I say there could be roads that certain lanes would be no driver but the speed limit could be much higher e.g. >150mph. The tech could drastically reduce times. Driverless could be a major advantage, as for black ice cars would know the temp of the road and reduce speed accordingly...

Trucks could end up being more like trains with only one person leading out many trucks... Even rural roads can be self drive, it just about the technology which will

The tech will get a lot cheaper in next ten years. Europe are making Electric Cars cheaper from a tax point of view...

Roads are designed with maximum speed in most locations. A self-driving car might run 150 mph with no other cars on the road on rural interstates that are mostly straight. Try to imagine driving at 150mph through West Virginia where sometimes curves on Interstate 64 at 45 mph cause you to have a significant pucker factor.

You apparently know nothing about "black ice". Black ice, freezing rain, sleet and snow can all occur at the exact same temperature.

A self-driving car would most likely be electric and it would never have the power to maintain that speed of very long.

Considering the cost of land in urban areas, the cost of parking will continue to rise. Having cheaper parking and being able to use the land currently occupied by parking lots would be efficient.

Also, when ever I have worked downtown, it was exceedingly rare that I did not know 30 minutes prior to leaving that I would need my car. And rather than walk to the parking lot, it would pick me up at the front door of my office.

OK. you got called on your extreme lack of logic and are now tap dancing with the best of them. For what it it worth, I have NEVER worked iin a downtown area, If it as you describe it, why would a company locate there?

Roads are designed with maximum speed in most locations. A self-driving car might run 150 mph with no other cars on the road on rural interstates that are mostly straight. Try to imagine driving at 150mph through West Virginia where sometimes curves on Interstate 64 at 45 mph cause you to have a significant pucker factor.

You apparently know nothing about "black ice". Black ice, freezing rain, sleet and snow can all occur at the exact same temperature.

A self-driving car would most likely be electric and it would never have the power to maintain that speed of very long.

Your imagination is limited by our current technological limitations.

Your imagination is limited by our current technological limitations.

Are you going to literally move mountains to make this happen? Why not just fly instead?

OK. you got called on your extreme lack of logic and are now tap dancing with the best of them. For what it it worth, I have NEVER worked iin a downtown area, If it as you describe it, why would a company locate there?

I am not tap dancing at all. What work I have done downtown has been in the fiber optics industry. Banks, insurance companies, brokerages and many other high end businesses seem to like being down town.

More likely is a prohibition on ownership of motorized vehicles.

When you to go somewhere simply call the government transport service and, after a short delay to check your social credit balance, you may have a driverless vehicle pull up in front. If the balance is low enough a government vehicle will still arrive but staffed with storm troopers.

Forum List

Back