Will/should it be illegal for humans to drive on public roads when self-driving cars become more advanced and widespread?

I think there will be areas in cities that will be exclusively self-driven vehicles. But then, that would alleviate the need for extensive parking in those areas.

^^ Best answer.

I love love love to drive but hate doing it in a city. Anything that gets me out of that, I'm all for.

Driving is my meditation. The only reason I'd ever give it up would be too much heartsick at driving past animal casualties. That's hard to take.

I think it'll probably be illegal eventually. We'll reach a point where humans driving is seen as public endangerment.
I can see them becoming prevalent in the larger cities.
If they cause less accidents then we know what the insurance companies will support. At least until premiums subside.

Based on the amount of electronic and safety recalls in every make and model of vehicle including my own high priced ride, I will never trust automated systems in vehicles. I don't mind electronic assistance, but there better be an off switch.

Not to mention a computer cannot be programmed to feel the road on black ice and sensors are useless when covered in snow or blinded by weather.

What if the technology becomes so advanced that all of the current limitations are overcome?
Just think of it unfeeling robots taking care of everything [/QUOTE ]

We are a long ways from that.

Maybe not as long as you think.

The robots from Japan and high technology is really amazing .

So are RV's and towable systems for trailers for recreational vehicles like snowmobiles, ATV's and boats going to be incorporated into this automated system? Work trailers? Or do we just ban all of it?
Sounds perfectly boring.
I am sure there will be maintenance vehicles with human drivers. But systems for towing trailers already exist. There are 18 wheelers that can operate without drivers right now.
I am talking about towing my boat or toys, and is my boat self driving also, since we can't trust human drivers? and the OP hasn't addressed my point of towing in winter conditions with blinded sensors.

Can we really trust self driving semi trucks in a snowstorm? Or does all traffic stop for a three day storm?

As I said in my first post, I think it will be select urban sections first. We will not see exclusively self-driving cars outside of that in our lifetime.

Driving a semi in a snowstorm would probably be better handled by a computer. It gives instant reaction to the skid, never turns too much or applies too much brake, and will instantly let the other self-driving vehicles know where the black ice is and how bad.

Also, if you cannot see the road, can you be safe? With the advancements in GPS technology, the self-driving semi will know exactly where to drive.

I think there will be areas in cities that will be exclusively self-driven vehicles. But then, that would alleviate the need for extensive parking in those areas.

The bigger danger, and already a fantasy of the anti-individual freedom left is that they will try to outlaw private ownership of cars.

I think it'll probably be illegal eventually. We'll reach a point where humans driving is seen as public endangerment.
What will happen is that if self-driving cars end up being safer eventually, they will get an insurance premium reduction.

The bigger danger, and already a fantasy of the anti-individual freedom left is that they will try to outlaw private ownership of cars.
The other option is to make them so grossly expensive to drive with licensing, taxes and fees, high fuel costs and mandatory safety options that people will bail their vehicles and ride the bus like good little sheep.
Automated vehicles will also increase the price, beyond most consumers means.
Again, I like driving and riding motorcycles. Screw the self driving bike.

So are RV's and towable systems for trailers for recreational vehicles like snowmobiles, ATV's and boats going to be incorporated into this automated system? Work trailers? Or do we just ban all of it?
Sounds perfectly boring.
I am sure there will be maintenance vehicles with human drivers. But systems for towing trailers already exist. There are 18 wheelers that can operate without drivers right now.
I am talking about towing my boat or toys, and is my boat self driving also, since we can't trust human drivers? and the OP hasn't addressed my point of towing in winter conditions with blinded sensors.

Can we really trust self driving semi trucks in a snowstorm? Or does all traffic stop for a three day storm?

As I said in my first post, I think it will be select urban sections first. We will not see exclusively self-driving cars outside of that in our lifetime.

Driving a semi in a snowstorm would probably be better handled by a computer. It gives instant reaction to the skid, never turns too much or applies too much brake, and will instantly let the other self-driving vehicles know where the black ice is and how bad.

Also, if you cannot see the road, can you be safe? With the advancements in GPS technology, the self-driving semi will know exactly where to drive.

Whoa, not sure I can agree there. As the world's best snow driver I'll put my instincts against any machine anywhere any time.

Forum List

Back