Will/should it be illegal for humans to drive on public roads when self-driving cars become more advanced and widespread?

Anomalism

Diamond Member
Dec 1, 2020
I think it'll probably be illegal eventually. We'll reach a point where humans driving is seen as public endangerment.

No, never, not going to happen.

Not without the full implementation of a totalitarianism.

We've had human driven cars on our streets for 125 years. Human driven animal powered conveyances for millennia.

You can't very well make the argument that the risk cannot be tolerated now if we've been living with it for centuries.

Last edited:
You can't very well make the argument that the risk cannot be tolerated now if we've been living with it for centuries.

The risk was unavoidable before. Removing the human element would reduce road fatalities by magnitudes.

I think there will be areas in cities that will be exclusively self-driven vehicles. But then, that would alleviate the need for extensive parking in those areas.

I am sure there will be glitches and failures before it becomes successful. But then, human driven vehicles are not without a multitude of failures with us at the wheel.

Right? Every time a self-driving car has a glitch it gets tons of attention, but it's like we forgot about all of the people killed and maimed every day because of human drivers. It's obvious which direction saves more lives.

Based on the amount of electronic and safety recalls in every make and model of vehicle including my own high priced ride, I will never trust automated systems in vehicles. I don't mind electronic assistance, but there better be an off switch.

Not to mention a computer cannot be programmed to feel the road on black ice and sensors are useless when covered in snow or blinded by weather.

Based on the amount of electronic and safety recalls in every make and model of vehicle including my own high priced ride, I will never trust automated systems in vehicles. I don't mind electronic assistance, but there better be an off switch.

Not to mention a computer cannot be programmed to feel the road on black ice and sensors are useless when covered in snow or blinded by weather.

What if the technology becomes so advanced that all of the current limitations are overcome?

Rural areas will never be able to get them.
It usually takes 20 yrs if they get any city type service, if at all.
Many Rural still don't have internet service.
If driving is outlawed your farming goes away.

Removing the human element would reduce road fatalities by magnitudes.

Except, when the technology, as it inevitably does, fails.

I am sure there will be glitches and failures before it becomes successful. But then, human driven vehicles are not without a multitude of failures with us at the wheel.

Except, the human computer running each vehicle today is a one-off unique device. Accepting the failure of a single device is in no way a condemnation of the entire species.

Unlike the automation that might, one day, have the ability to run our cars. Because each computer is essentially identical, a single failure of a computer driven vehicle means that potential failure is not only possible, but likely, in a million (or millions) more vehicles.

How willing would we be to accept a fatal design flaw and do what is necessary to correct it once the state has declared them safe? The official narrative won't allow us to turn back once the state has mandated the use of something.

By all means, develop the self-driving car. I'll even drive on the same road as drunk / stoned passengers, unable to take control of their vehicles in the event of a failure of the automation. But, I will never allow a non-sentient device to take decisions that affect my life and the lives of my passengers away from me.

Last edited:

What if the technology becomes so advanced that all of the current limitations are overcome?
We are a long ways from that.

Besides, I enjoy the freedom of the road as do millions and if I was so worried about safety I wouldn't be a motorcycle rider.

But, I will never allow a non-sentient device to take control of decisions that affect my life and the lives of my passengers away from me.

Well then in the future you might have to ride a bicycle.

So are RV's and towable systems for trailers for recreational vehicles like snowmobiles, ATV's and boats going to be incorporated into this automated system? Work trailers? Or do we just ban all of it?
Sounds perfectly boring.

So are RV's and towable systems for trailers for recreational vehicles like snowmobiles, ATV's and boats going to be incorporated into this automated system? Work trailers? Or do we just ban all of it?
Sounds perfectly boring.
I am sure there will be maintenance vehicles with human drivers. But systems for towing trailers already exist. There are 18 wheelers that can operate without drivers right now.

Sounds perfectly boring.
I am sure there will be maintenance vehicles with human drivers. But systems for towing trailers already exist. There are 18 wheelers that can operate without drivers right now.
I am talking about towing my boat or toys, and is my boat self driving also, since we can't trust human drivers? and the OP hasn't addressed my point of towing in winter conditions with blinded sensors.

Can we really trust self driving semi trucks in a snowstorm? Or does all traffic stop for a three day storm?

New Topics

Forum List

Back