Will Roger Maris' Single Season Home Run Record Ever Be Broken ?

protectionist

Diamond Member
Oct 20, 2013
It has been 55 years since Roger Maris astounded the baseball world by setting a new single season home run record of 61 homers in a 162 game season (the previous record of 60 in 154 games by Babe Ruth, actually still stands as well). With so much time gone by and no one surpassing this record, although a few came close (Hank Greenberg, Jimmy Foxx, and Ryan Howard, all with 58).

I rarely ever say never, so I won't now either , but I would say that it is doubtful that this record will ever be broken. Pitchers are pitching fastballs at 100 mile per hour, sliders that drop out of sight have been perfected more than ever, by more pitchers.

I really can't say that I see anyone right now who looks like they could have a Maris season, but one never knows who might appear in the future. Even for the strongest of hitters though, to hit 62 home runs within a 162 game season is a tough row to hoe.

It has been 55 years since Roger Maris astounded the baseball world by setting a new single season home run record of 61 homers in a 162 game season (the previous record of 60 in 154 games by Babe Ruth, actually still stands as well). With so much time gone by and no one surpassing this record, although a few came close (Hank Greenberg, Jimmy Foxx, and Ryan Howard, all with 58).

I rarely ever say never, so I won't now either , but I would say that it is doubtful that this record will ever be broken. Pitchers are pitching fastballs at 100 mile per hour, sliders that drop out of sight have been perfected more than ever, by more pitchers.

I really can't say that I see anyone right now who looks like they could have a Maris season, but one never knows who might appear in the future. Even for the strongest of hitters though, to hit 62 home runs within a 162 game season is a tough row to hoe.
????????

They kick out bonds, McGuire and Sosa???????

???????? They kick out bonds, McGuire and Sosa???????
Steroid players were never in. SPs don't have performance records. They only records they have is what teams they played for, the dates, and what position they played in the field.

A few years ago, I thought Jose Bautista of the Toronto Blue Jays, might have a shot, but he has cooled down somewhat since he hit 54 home runs in 2010.

I don't think so. Just like during Dimaggio's 56 game streak, the pitching is better now and the coaching philosophy is don't let the big guy beat you.
I tend to agree with you. If somebody was hitting 55 homers in September, I wouldn't doubt that they might intentionally walk him every time he comes up to bat.

Fingers crossed that ARod doesn't further sully baseball by passing Ruth for 3rd all time on the home run list.
ARod can't pass Ruth (or anybody). He openly admitted to steroid use, a few years ago. He has no performance records, including how much money he's getting. He seems to be pretty good as a commentator. He should go there.

Fingers crossed that ARod doesn't further sully baseball by passing Ruth for 3rd all time on the home run list.
ARod can't pass Ruth (or anybody). He openly admitted to steroid use, a few years ago. He has no performance records, including how much money he's getting. He seems to be pretty good as a commentator. He should go there.
He should never be involved in anything related to baseball ever again.

the TRUE home run king for a season is Babe Ruth since Maris had more games in a season.

????????

Mcguire,Sosa,and Clemons should all be banned from the HOF same as Ty cobb and gaylord perry need to be.

????????

Mcguire,Sosa,and Clemons should all be banned from the HOF same as Ty cobb and gaylord perry need to be.
As steroid players, Mcguire,Sosa,and Clemons cannot have performance records, and since the HOF is based on performance, I can;t see how they could be admitted.

the TRUE home run king for a season is Babe Ruth since Maris had more games in a season.
I think they both are home run kings, in 2 separate categories (154 games & 162 games). I doubt if either record will be broken.
Don't be so sure!

Bryce-Harper.jpg

Forum List

Back