Will Health Care Plan Make It Through The Courts?

Annie

Diamond Member
Nov 22, 2003
There was some discussion on the topic on another thread. I couldn't answer the question, but I just ran across this in the WaPo, written by someone more qualified:

Is health-care reform constitutional?

Is health-care reform constitutional?
By Randy E. Barnett
Sunday, March 21, 2010; B02

With the House set to vote on health-care legislation, the congressional debate on the issue seems to be nearing its conclusion. But if the bill does become law, the battle over federal control of health care will inevitably shift to the courts. Virginia's attorney general, Ken Cuccinelli II, has said he will file a legal challenge to the bill, arguing in a column this month that reform legislation "violate the plain text of both the Ninth and Tenth Amendments." On Friday, South Carolina Attorney General Henry McMaster and Florida Attorney General Bill McCollum announced that they will file a federal lawsuit if health-care reform legislation passes.

Will these cases get anywhere? Here is a guide to the possible legal challenges to a comprehensive health-care bill...

Randy E. Barnett teaches constitutional law at Georgetown University. He is the author of "Restoring the Lost Constitution: The Presumption of Liberty." He will be online to chat with readers at 11 a.m. on Monday, March 22. Submit your questions and comments before or during the discussion.

The bigger question: Will it make it through the next GOP Congress after November?

Yes it will. Why? Because once something is passed with the President's blessing it requires that Congress be able to override his Veto. Even if every Senator running for reelection this year is voted in as a republican there are not enough Senate votes to over come a Presidential Veto. Further there are only currently 170 some Republicans in the House. There would have to be a monster landslide in the House for them to be able to over ride a Presidential veto.

I can not believe you people are so IGNORANT about how our Government works.

The bigger question: Will it make it through the next GOP Congress after November?

Yes it will. Why? Because once something is passed with the President's blessing it requires that Congress be able to override his Veto. Even if every Senator running for reelection this year is voted in as a republican there are not enough Senate votes to over come a Presidential Veto. Further there are only currently 170 some Republicans in the House. There would have to be a monster landslide in the House for them to be able to over ride a Presidential veto.

Wouldn't need that.
All they need to do is refuse to fund it.

And aren't you the one who maintained the constitution forbids spending money in individual congressional districts? Id be careful with the ignorant word.

Wouldn't need that.

I'm still trying to figure out how he came up with the override the veto deal. :confused:

With a new Congress not just power of funding, but power of changing the legislation.

Wouldn't need that.

I'm still trying to figure out how he came up with the override the veto deal. :confused:

With a new Congress not just power of funding, but power of changing the legislation.

Changing the legislation is trickier. THey pass a bill, Obama vetoes it. Now what? They dont have the votes for an over-ride.

Wouldn't need that.

Changing the legislation is trickier. THey pass a bill, Obama vetoes it. Now what? They dont have the votes for an over-ride.

I thought he was referring to after November on the override, that was confusing to me.

Healthcare is just as constitutional as Medicare. I know some of the conservatives are scared and really hoping there's a way to kill it since (*fingers crossed*) it looks like it's going to pass...but sorry, it's constitutional.

Wouldn't need that.

And aren't you the one who maintained the constitution forbids spending money in individual congressional districts? Id be careful with the ignorant word.

Dumb ass I said the Government can not provide an entitlement that is not uniformly applied to all States.

Wouldn't need that.

Dumb ass I said the Government can not provide an entitlement that is not uniformly applied to all States.

And you are wrong.
Dipshit.

Healthcare is just as constitutional as Medicare. I know some of the conservatives are scared and really hoping there's a way to kill it since (*fingers crossed*) it looks like it's going to pass...but sorry, it's constitutional.

Without using the already debunked "general welfare clause" argument... show where the government has this power... show where they have the ability to force purchase of a product... and show where you are owed goddamn anything at the expense of another's right to personal property

Goddamn idiot entitlement junkies.... greedy little sonofabitches and super generous when it comes down to the money of others

New Topics

Forum List

Back