Will Biden's moratorium on new oil and gas leases on federal lands cause gas prices to increase?

Speaking as a Democrat, I'm embarrassed by our position on fossil fuels, and climate change especially.

Sure we exploit everything for cash, power and following, I get that, but I'm positive my choice for a POTUS Xiden won't reposition the sun or Earth. I just don't think we make big enough rockets yet.

Last edited:
You can not force oil producers to uncap their caps on the wells if oil is low, so prices will rise under Biden and will stay between three to four dollars the next few years...

Most folks don't understand how a futures product works.

Gas prices continue to increase, with the national average up nine cents on the week to $2.72. That is a 30 cent increase from the beginning of February, 28 cents more than a year ago and the most expensive daily national average
If the rate continues at even half or 15% per month a year from now? At least $11/gal...(close to what Obama wanted..equal to Europe).

Tue January 26, 2021
President Joe Biden is set to order a moratorium on new oil and gas leases on federal lands on Wednesday, according to a person familiar with his plans. The move is expected to be the most prominent in a series of climate actions the President will take on Wednesday, including elevating the climate crisis as a national security issue.

Killing more Texas jobs," Brady said in a Jan. 22 tweet. "After killing #KeystoneXL pipeline, #Biden suspends new oil/gas leasing on fed lands/water. If permanent, 120,000 TX jobs lost. 120,000 MORE jobless. Pssst... aren't you supposed to CREATE jobs?"

Biden’s move will have a disproportionate effect on states with large swaths of federal lands used for oil and gas activity. New Mexico, for instance, has 24 million acres of federal land, or about 32% of the state’s total land mass; Wyoming has 29 million federally owned acres, or about 47% of the state.

Oil from federal lands tops 1B barrels as Trump eases rules

About a quarter of U.S. oil and an eighth of the nation's natural gas is produced on federal lands. In Colorado, the Bureau of Land Management had leased 2.5 million acres to oiland gas companies through 2019, according to federal data
I’m sure gas prices will go up a bit because of his policies. I also think progress with renewables will greatly improve
The point is federal land leases are directly under Biden's signature.
With 1/4th of oil production from federal lands... his moratorium WILL have an affect. Dramatically.
Here is the link you can follow to see what the recent Fed. leases under Bush,Obama and Trump.
Obama signed more leases in one year...the remaining 7 years fewer leases.
Trump was increasing and one of those was ANWAR is short for Arctic National Wildlife Refuge in Alaska. holds 10 Billion barrels of Oil, enough Oil to get the United States by for two years. There is only one problem, there is currently a ban on drilling at this field in Alaska which is referred to as the North Slope.!!! Thanks Biden!
View attachment 464180
You’re being over dramatic. Biden is going to push green policies so oil prices will go up but it’s not the disaster that you paint it as. There needs to be some pressure if people are going to change their habits

Gas prices continue to increase, with the national average up nine cents on the week to $2.72. That is a 30 cent increase from the beginning of February, 28 cents more than a year ago and the most expensive daily national average
If the rate continues at even half or 15% per month a year from now? At least $11/gal...(close to what Obama wanted..equal to Europe).

Tue January 26, 2021
President Joe Biden is set to order a moratorium on new oil and gas leases on federal lands on Wednesday, according to a person familiar with his plans. The move is expected to be the most prominent in a series of climate actions the President will take on Wednesday, including elevating the climate crisis as a national security issue.

Killing more Texas jobs," Brady said in a Jan. 22 tweet. "After killing #KeystoneXL pipeline, #Biden suspends new oil/gas leasing on fed lands/water. If permanent, 120,000 TX jobs lost. 120,000 MORE jobless. Pssst... aren't you supposed to CREATE jobs?"

Biden’s move will have a disproportionate effect on states with large swaths of federal lands used for oil and gas activity. New Mexico, for instance, has 24 million acres of federal land, or about 32% of the state’s total land mass; Wyoming has 29 million federally owned acres, or about 47% of the state.

About a quarter of U.S. oil and an eighth of the nation's natural gas is produced on federal lands. In Colorado, the Bureau of Land Management had leased 2.5 million acres to oiland gas companies through 2019, according to federal data
I’m sure gas prices will go up a bit because of his policies. I also think progress with renewables will greatly improve
With 1/4th of oil production from federal lands... his moratorium WILL have an affect. Dramatically.
Here is the link you can follow to see what the recent Fed. leases under Bush,Obama and Trump.
Trump was increasing and one of those was ANWAR is short for Arctic National Wildlife Refuge in Alaska. holds 10 Billion barrels of Oil, enough Oil to get the United States by for two years. There is only one problem, there is currently a ban on drilling at this field in Alaska which is referred to as the North Slope.!!! Thanks Biden!
View attachment 464180
You’re being over dramatic. Biden is going to push green policies so oil prices will go up but it’s not the disaster that you paint it as. There needs to be some pressure if people are going to change their habits

We don't need to change our habits, I am sorry you're so worried about cow farts.

Here's Xiden as he does burnouts in the 1967 Corvette his dad gave him for getting married.......

“We have to take combustion engine vehicles off the road as rapidly as we can,” he said in the same CNN appearance. “But that also can create a significant number of jobs and opportunities for people.”

Come for my Chevy Xiden, you just as well come for my guns.

What's with this weird lie that gas prises are "rising"?

Gas prices are lowering. Gas was nearly $3.75 in Texas in 2008.

EDIT: for reference, I filled up earlier this week and it's $2.49/ga right now.
In PA, it was 2.27/ga when Biden took over. I just hit $3.00. It is going up all over the country. Your little anecdotal post, which is probably a lie, doesn't mean squat.
Texas closed for a week.

Gas in my town is going up a dime a day....by summer we will be at $4....is this what you libs want?...higher prices for gas food and any goods shipped by truck?....please explain...

It was even higher under Barry Hussein, Dumbass..
That doesn’t mean shit to gas prices now.

Veggie Joe’s actions are driving up prices.

In PA, it was 2.27/ga when Biden took over. I just hit $3.00. It is going up all over the country. Your little anecdotal post, which is probably a lie, doesn't mean squat.
I'm not lying. Gas was astronomical in the late 00's. Anyone older than like 25 would remember this.
So, we are talking about the year 2021 in case you missed it.
I thought we were talking about gas prices rising *checks notes*

Oh, we are.
We are talking about gas prices rising UNDER JOE BIDEN. You're welcome.
Was never stated in the topic title or the opening post. In fact the first sentence says

Gas prices continue to increase, with the national average up nine cents on the week to $2.72.
Check the thread title, Simpleton.

Domestic oil production doesn’t work with cheap gas. You guys want domestic production or cheap gas? Can’t have both.

Tue January 26, 2021

View attachment 464180
If green energy was viable you wouldn’t need to fuck with Oil prices to get people to use it.

Texas closed for a week.
Just think what Texas will charge you when they are their own country.

Texas closed for a week.
Why was gas going up before that?

:oops8:

Texas closed for a week.
OMG that is so simple minded....the gasoline we are pumping into our cars today left the refinery months ago....the freeze will bring costs up but not for 3-6 months from now....
what is causing gas to go up is the rhetoric from Biden....he is scaring the shit out of the oil industry...and they are packing the money away to battle Biden in court....

Tue January 26, 2021

View attachment 464180

We don't need to change our habits, I am sorry you're so worried about cow farts.
I’m not worried about cow farts

Tue January 26, 2021

Not to worry, Joe is going to give us all a stimulus check like he promised which was $2000 to every taxpayer in his first 7 weeks

Sure, the amount keeps decreasing, and it's been well past 7 weeks, and now it seems it's only for those he deems "essential" to get it, but I digress.

Texas closed for a week.
OMG that is so simple minded....the gasoline we are pumping into our cars today left the refinery months ago....the freeze will bring costs up but not for 3-6 months from now....
what is causing gas to go up is the rhetoric from Biden....he is scaring the shit out of the oil industry...and they are packing the money away to battle Biden in court....
Yeah you live in a different world? Gas prices fluctuate quickly. War starts in Middle East and it will be up drastically the next day, possibly that evening.

Gasoline was .97 cents a gallon in April of 2020 and rose to $2.27 under Trump and you said nothing.
BULLSHIT

Texas closed for a week.
Yeah you live in a different world? Gas prices fluctuate quickly. War starts in Middle East and it will be up drastically the next day, possibly that evening.
That's ridiculous....a week of frozen refineries does not add up to a war in the middle east oil region....

New Topics

Forum List

Back