Wild Bill

Gdjjr

Platinum Member
Oct 25, 2019
Texas
The True Story of the American Frontier's first Gunfighter, by, Tom Clavin

I enjoy reading about the "old west", fact and fiction, especially fiction with enough facts to make it plausible.
This book claims to be more about the former and backs the opinions with news paper quotes and knowledgable of the times quotes, by friends of Wild Bill and some claiming to be at least acquainted with him actual, so the author says.

A well written and well-researched tale of a most interesting American frontiersman, lawman, and shootist- The Washington Times

Love this kind of stuff!!! Will definitely be reading it.
I think I've read every Louis L'amour book available. Like you I like the real and the fictitious books about the old west.
MikeTx recommended Empire of the Summer Moon.
It's about the rise and fall of the Comanche indians which takes place mainly in Texas and Oklahoma. Highly recommend it!!! It'll dispel any notion of the noble indian. Hard to believe that indians still ruled the Texas plains less than a hundred years before I was born.
There's actually a 1956 John Wayne movie based on this true story called the Searchers.

• Banned
I think I've read every Louis L'amour book available. Like you I like the real and the fictitious books about the old west.
It's about the rise and fall of the Comanche indians which takes place mainly in Texas and Oklahoma. Highly recommend it!!! It'll dispel any notion of the noble indian. Hard to believe that indians still ruled the Texas plains less than a hundred years before I was born.
There's actually a 1956 John Wayne movie based on this true story called the Searchers.
I've read The Empire of the Summer Moon- it's a good-un and I've seen The Searchers- I quit reading Lamour books years ago as they all seemed to run together similar to William Johnstone whose Preacher series was awesome- I really enjoy Elmer Kelton, anything he wrote- he too used facts to add plausibility-

Check out Mike Blakeley "Comanche Dawn"-

Matt Braun- "Doc Holliday"

I can give you nearly an entire library of westerns I have or have read ;)

I've read The Empire of the Summer Moon- it's a good-un and I've seen The Searchers- I quit reading Lamour books years ago as they all seemed to run together similar to William Johnstone whose Preacher series was awesome- I really enjoy Elmer Kelton, anything he wrote- he too used facts to add plausibility-

I haven't read a Louis L'amour book in a couple of decades but I still loved em.
I'll definitely check out the books you suggested. I think I've read Comanche Dawn,I'll have to look it up to be sure.

And I'll take that library when you feel like posting it.

• Banned

I haven't read a Louis L'amour book in a couple of decades but I still loved em.
I'll definitely check out the books you suggested. I think I've read Comanche Dawn,I'll have to look it up to be sure.

A few to get you busy ;) this is a good series best read in chronological order so you don't just jump in ghe middle, and sorry it's been so long since I read them I don't recall the first title

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=jory+sherman+baron+series&i=stripbooks&ref=nb_sb_noss&tag=ff0d01-20

Ashes of Heaven, Terry C Johnston ( he actually has several good ones)

Ashes of Heaven : The Lame Deer Fight May 7, 1877 and the End of the Great Sioux Paperback

Crow Bait, Robert J Randisi

https://www.amazon.com/Crow-Thorndi...i&qid=1610149319&s=books&sr=1-2&tag=ff0d01-20

Texas Showdown, Elmer Kelton (kelton is the author behind the TV movie, The God Old Boys) anything he writes is worth reading if you like westers fiction mixed with fact style

Amazon.com
A twofer

Wildfire Zane Grey

https://www.amazon.com/Wildfire-Her...ildfire+z,stripbooks,208&sr=1-4&tag=ff0d01-20

Another twofer ^^^^

Riders of The Purple Sage, Zane Grey- I love his descriptions of the deserts

https://www.amazon.com/Riders-Purpl...zane+grey,stripbooks,260&sr=1-5&tag=ff0d01-20

Return to Red River, Johnny D Boggs

https://www.amazon.com/Return-Red-R...s&qid=1610149986&s=books&sr=1-1&tag=ff0d01-20

Johnny D Boggs is a good story teller who invokes a lot of humor into his characters

Look at these on Amazon and it'll lead you to others

Enjoy!

indeed Wild Bill is a big favorite. A short essay on his favorite sidearms, the Colt Navy, a .36 caliber light pistol. I always try and catch the Jeff Bridges movie 'Wild Bill' when I can, not a great movie but a better portrayal than the others I've seen.

"Of all the weapons listed, Hickok’s clear favorite was indeed the Colt Navy. Introduced in late 1850 in .36-caliber, the six-shooter featured a 7 ½-inch barrel weighing 2 pounds, 10 ounces—almost half the weight of the formidable .44- caliber Dragoon revolver then in use. It was soon dubbed the Navy, or Belt, model. In 1861 the company produced a round-barreled version and dubbed the original the Old Model Navy—collectors later defined it as the Model 1851 and its rival the Model 1861. The Navy was a very accurate and reliable weapon. Tests by both the British and American governments revealed it was deadly at 100 yards and effective at more than 200 yards in the hands of a good marksman. Hickok was without question an expert. His reported July 21, 1865, shooting of Davis Tutt at 75 yards was no myth. "

A few to get you busy ;) this is a good series best read in chronological order so you don't just jump in ghe middle, and sorry it's been so long since I read them I don't recall the first title

Amazon.com

Ashes of Heaven, Terry C Johnston ( he actually has several good ones)

Ashes of Heaven : The Lame Deer Fight May 7, 1877 and the End of the Great Sioux Paperback

Crow Bait, Robert J Randisi

Amazon.com

Texas Showdown, Elmer Kelton (kelton is the author behind the TV movie, The God Old Boys) anything he writes is worth reading if you like westers fiction mixed with fact style

Amazon.com
A twofer

Wildfire Zane Grey

https://www.amazon.com/Wildfire-Heritage-Desert-Complete-Novels/dp/0765377691/ref=sr_1_4?crid=3LQR6GEXJPP62&dchild=1&keywords=wildfire+zane+grey&qid=1610149699&s=books&sprefix=wildfire+z,stripbooks,208&sr=1-4&tag=ff0d01-20

Another twofer ^^^^

Riders of The Purple Sage, Zane Grey- I love his descriptions of the deserts

https://www.amazon.com/Riders-Purple-Sage-Zane-Grey/dp/1657581365/ref=sr_1_5?crid=185YYN3OD1RLR&dchild=1&keywords=riders+of+the+purple+sage+zane+grey&qid=1610149780&s=books&sprefix=riders+of+zane+grey,stripbooks,260&sr=1-5&tag=ff0d01-20

Return to Red River, Johnny D Boggs

Amazon.com

Johnny D Boggs is a good story teller who invokes a lot of humor into his characters

Look at these on Amazon and it'll lead you to others

Enjoy!

Appreciate it!!!
I've actually found a bunch of good titles from USMB.

• Banned
The last, and in my opinion, best story by Louis L'AMour- I've read it a couple of times- I just happened to recall it

The Last Of The Breed

Last of the Breed, a 1987 book by Louis L'Amour, tells the fictional story of Native American United States Air Force pilot Major Joseph Makatozi (Joe Mack), shot down by the Soviets over the ocean between Russia and Alaska and then captured. Although the exact time is never stated, it appears to be the mid- to late 1980s, as Mikhail Gorbachev's rise to power is mentioned. It was L'Amour's second-to-last published novel.

The start of the book chronicles Joe "Mack" Makatozi's daring escape from captivity and introduces another captive, an English chemist whom the Soviets believe is working on chemical warfare agents. The chemist is mentioned later, as the first mistake of their captor Zamatev, because it turned out he was only working on developing insect repellents.

The success of Mack's subsequent foot travel, across Siberia to the Bering Strait, is dependent on his Native American hunting, tracking, and evasion skills. It is mentioned several times in the text that these skills had been taught by his people to each generation, over thousands of years. Now, the skilled aviator must remember and practice the archery, fire-making, tracking, stalking, hunting, skinning, and ambush skills taught by his elders. Knowing that "a man with a knife can survive", he sneaks into a miner's cabin, and leaving no evidence he was there, steals preserved food, a heavy sweater, and a knife. Although this knife is needed for Mack to survive in the wilderness, his theft of the knife gives the Yakut tracking him a clue as to where to begin searching for Mack.

Mack also has strong attachments to his people's discipline and self-mastery. When he comes upon an army patrol he crawls inside an old hollow tree to hide. His pursuers make camp in the same area, and he must remain motionless until it gets dark, and only the sentries are awake. When captured, he is roughly beaten by his pursuers, but true to his heritage, he never makes a sound. A man who previously informed on him unlocks the shed he is in and allows Mack to escape. Mack ends up killing Alekhin the Yakut, who was following him, and sending his scalp back to Colonel Arkady Zamatev with a note written on birchbark that reads: "This was once a custom of my people. In my lifetime I shall take two. This is the first."

At the end of the book, the success of Mack's 90-mile kayak ride to Alaska is left unresolved. The resolution of the story is left to the reader's imagination.

I opened the link to his web page and this is what came up

first_o.gif
ne day I was speeding along at the typewriter, and my daughter - who was a child at the time - asked me, "Daddy, why are you writing so fast?" And I replied, "Because I want to see how the story turns out!"

. . . Louis L'Amour

:omg::auiqs.jpg:

Forum List

Back