Why was TV so vapid before "Game of Thrones" made fantasy mainstream?

JakeWIlls92

Gold Member
Apr 6, 2014
I remember 2000s and early 2010s TV as nothing but cop shows, reality shows, and doctor soaps.

Why were we obsessed with cops, doctors, and rich people during that time? Why did we lose interest in space and the future?

Amazon is nearing a deal to make a Mass Effect TV series

Or was computer graphics technology too primitive? Has computer generated graphics become cheaper allowing the production of shows like "Game of Thrones" and "The Expanse" to cost much less than it would during the 2000-2012 time period?

I remember 2000s and early 2010s TV as nothing but cop shows, reality shows, and doctor soaps.

Why were we obsessed with cops, doctors, and rich people during that time? Why did we lose interest in space and the future?

Or was computer graphics technology too primitive? Has computer generated graphics become cheaper allowing the production of shows like "Game of Thrones" and "The Expanse" to cost much less than it would during the 2000-2012 time period?

Hmm. I remember a couple of shows that were considered to be groundbreaking at the time that weren't considered vapid. "The Wire" and The Sopranos".
I mean, besides "Star Trek" and "Firefly", what shows really dealt with the future? They do cost a lot of money to produce and are geared to a specific audience.
Not a wide one. That's why they make shows about cops, doctors, and rich people. They sell...and can make a profit.

Game of thrones sucked.

Forum List

Back