Why the number "9" is bad and "10" is good...

healthmyths

Platinum Member
Sep 19, 2011
Add these numbers up right now: 9 + 6...

Now watch and see how your children will learn what 9 + 6 equals.

Question for every one after you watch this video...
You "decompose" the 6 i.e. break it down to 1 + 5...
THEN you "anchor" the 9 to the 1 equals what???
How does the student know that 9 + 1 equals 10???

Add these numbers up right now: 9 + 6...

Now watch and see how your children will learn what 9 + 6 equals.

Question for every one after you watch this video...
You "decompose" the 6 i.e. break it down to 1 + 5...
THEN you "anchor" the 9 to the 1 equals what???
How does the student know that 9 + 1 equals 10???

Silly man.

The child knows that 9+1=10 because his Smartphone told him.

Jeez!

If common core requires liberals to think doing math then I am very happy for automated teller machines.

Why is 10+5 more comfortable then 9+6? Because some liberal said so.

But I suppose that method would work when doing bigger numbers like 842+243 If you just realize that 243 is just 185+58 then 842 + 58 equals 1000 and 1000 +185 equals 1185 see how easy and comfortable that is? In fairness I am sure they teach to use the cube root of numbers to make it more comfortable.

The child may not be comfortable with the number 9
Bless her heart
I'm sorry

What if the child isn't comfortable with the number 8?
Good grief

Forget about breaking down the six
9+6 is just one number lower than 10+6
:cuckoo:

Common Core requires one to think. You won't like or understand it...
You are absolutely 100% right! One shouldn't have to think to KNOW 9 +6 equals 15! Because you know it!
Tell me what you think 3,222,000 divided by 1.2 billion equals?
Are you thinking??? Of course so. I have NO idea unless I work it out by 3,222,000/1,200,000,000 and fortunately I've a spreadsheet to do that!

Bless her heart
I'm sorry

Good grief

11 always sent me to the day ward....in hospital...

You are absolutely 100% right! One shouldn't have to think to KNOW 9 +6 equals 15! Because you know it!
Are you thinking??? Of course so. I have NO idea unless I work it out by 3,222,000/1,200,000,000 and fortunately I've a spreadsheet to do that!
We are teaching them methods, meaning algorithms, on how to do this without a computer. x/xx is an algorithm and there are many ways to do this other than that.

Bless her heart
I'm sorry

Good grief

Poor child was probably traumatized by the explanation of "69" in sex ed down at Head Start.

Bless her heart
I'm sorry

Good grief

Poor child was probably traumatized by the explanation of "69" in sex ed down at Head Start.
That must have been it. That or watching mom and dad during Show and Tell? Kids today, no balls.

We are teaching them methods, meaning algorithms, on how to do this without a computer. x/xx is an algorithm and there are many ways to do this other than that.

Giving a formal definition of algorithms, corresponding to the intuitive notion, remains a challenging problem.
Algorithm - Wikipedia the free encyclopedia
Having recently watched "Imitation Game" about Turning... I wondered if he used the "algorithm" when he was a 4th grader to solve 6 + 9?
I wouldn't think so as he "learned" the multiplication tables like all of us ... as it actually takes less brain power to have those solutions spontaneously
available then to go through the mechanics of "decomposing" and "anchoring". Totally a waste of time and effort for most kids that also has a
deleterious affect of minimizing the discipline of memorization! It will be found in future studies that the process of memorizing "6 +9 = 15" not only
minimizes brain activity BUT it also improves the mental discipline to stay focused!
For example "KNOWING" without thinking "6+9 = 15" can be shown in a PET scan when less brain activity is required.
On the other hand a PET scan showing a youth do the "decomposing/anchoring" method requires MORE brain activity.
Proof would be when you read this word: eleemosynary. Your brain is working hard to pronounce and then come up with a definition.
The word "cat"??? NO brainer!

New Topics

Forum List

Back