Why the hell did anyone buy the Chevy SSR?

Tumblin Tumbleweed

Gold Member
Mar 16, 2015
Man, what a stupid, ridiculous, ugly car. $50,000 for an LS powered convertible 'truck' that was never rated to tow anything substantial. It's also slow as heck for the drive train and price and even came in purple. Oof.

The 2005 SSR used the 390 hp (291 kW) LS2 V8 also found in the C6 Corvette, Trailblazer SS, and Pontiac GTO, and also offered a manual transmission option, the six-speed Tremec, for the first time. It was a beautiful fucking screamer.

For the 2006 model year, the LS2 engine featured minor modifications that boosted its output to 395 hp (automatic transmission) and 400 hp (manual), respectively. Performance improved dramatically with the LS2, the 6-speed manual version had an advertised 0-60 mph time of 5.29 seconds. In addition, GM badges were added to the vehicle.

Used one's today with the Corvette drivetrain are still selling for $25-30k...and worth every penny.

Since when did anyone buy a pickup truck for what it could haul? Most of the beds never see anything more imposing than a single load of mulch.

LS6 405 hp anniversary model, (2003) high comp, hotter cam. 1272 made in electron blue. 6 speed manual. 4 sec 0-60, 12.4 quarter mile and looks so much better than that wired thing!

DzJUuvf.jpg
0Gt6PdC.jpg
83xjNMq.jpg

The 2005 SSR used the 390 hp (291 kW) LS2 V8 also found in the C6 Corvette, Trailblazer SS, and Pontiac GTO, and also offered a manual transmission option, the six-speed Tremec, for the first time. It was a beautiful fucking screamer.

For the 2006 model year, the LS2 engine featured minor modifications that boosted its output to 395 hp (automatic transmission) and 400 hp (manual), respectively. Performance improved dramatically with the LS2, the 6-speed manual version had an advertised 0-60 mph time of 5.29 seconds. In addition, GM badges were added to the vehicle.

Used one's today with the Corvette drivetrain are still selling for $25-30k...and worth every penny.

Since when did anyone buy a pickup truck for what it could haul? Most of the beds never see anything more imposing than a single load of mulch.

Yeah they were all that.....and hugely overweight at 4700 lbs.
Hell,my 4x4 Tundra 5.7 is 100 lbs lighter.
It could have been a real screamer if they'd put some thought into keeping the weight down.

My 2003 Z06 is 3118#with 405hp. It can scoot. In 1 and 2 hard to keep from spinning. Doesn't squeal. kinda a tearing sound.

Wife has a Tundra. 2001 4x4 got the lexus V8, heck of a good truck. My truck a 2003 F350 4x4. Beast is what everyone calls it.

What were those cool ones, 20 ears ago or so?. Chev and GM both did them. SUV stuff think it was. Hot, fast. Can't remember the names, hell I'm 65 and senile, retarted or drunk or something.

To each his own, I guess...

Since when did anyone buy a pickup truck for what it could haul?

Literally every person I know on planet Earth that drives one.

Most of the beds never see anything more imposing than a single load of mulch.

Maybe on that SSR thing. My pickup sees much, much, much more than that.

Maybe not typical, but I know half dozen people with pickups - all four-door monsters - and maybe two of them have ever had anything in the bed other than a bicycle or piece of furniture that could have fit in back of an SUV.

Trucks in the suburbs are "statements."

Maybe not typical, but I know half dozen people with pickups - all four-door monsters - and maybe two of them have ever had anything in the bed other than a bicycle or piece of furniture that could have fit in back of an SUV.

Trucks in the suburbs are "statements."

They're called them 'mall queens' or 'bro dozers'. The SSR being a perfect example.

Forum List

Back