Why the death penalty? 67 year old murderer, released on parole, murders a woman with a knife.

And then he got out and murdered someone else.......you moron.......had he been put to death, the woman would still be alive.

Of just like that 65 year old Asian woman in NYC. The guy that brutally beat her killed his own mother. He could have killed her to because she's just a fragile older woman.

And then he got out and murdered someone else.......you moron.......had he been put to death, the woman would still be alive.

Uh, guy, the Death Penalty doesn't work... and if you didn't have the promise of parole, prisons would become unmanageable. If you know you are going to be executed anyway, why not murder a guard?

Uh, guy, the Death Penalty doesn't work... and if you didn't have the promise of parole, prisons would become unmanageable. If you know you are going to be executed anyway, why not murder a guard?

If the guy in this thread had been killed for his murder back in the 80s, this woman would not have been murdered by him........the death penalty works just fine.

If the guy in this thread had been killed for his murder back in the 80s, this woman would not have been murdered by him........the death penalty works just fine.

Except it doesn't. DP states have just as high a murder rate as non-DP states. The US has a much higher murder rate than countries that have abolished the death penalty.

It's not a deterrent.

We've had to let 164 people off of death row because they didn't do what they were accused of. 16 here in Illinois before Governor Ryan had to commute all the death sentences because the system was so flawed.

Your problem is that you are not born again and cannot see the transforming power of God.

No, I don't think there's an invisible fairy in the sky.

Which has nothing to do with the fact that Son of Sam was a serial con-artist, and has conned you guys.
Only the fool says there is no God.

Only the fool says there is no God.

Um, here's the thing.

If you are Christian, 5 billion people think you are wrong.
If you are Muslim, 6 billion people think you are wrong.
If you are Hindu, 6.5 billion people think you are wrong.

I can go on and on...but you get the point. If God is the supreme being, why do most other people believe in other supreme beings?

Heck, what if you get to the afterlife and find out the Shinto's are right, and Amaterasu wants to know why you weren't worshipping her?

1618829543769.png

Because they always have some last hope that their execution will be halted by the Governor. In fact that just happened in my state. Our Republican back stabbing Governor stopped three executions thus far. That idiot Kasich did the same when he was Governor.

By your own testimony the death penalty nor prisons work. Do you see why it's up to the law abiding citizen to be armed in this country?

This is why I support the death penalty.......you can never trust the government, in particular, the democrat party, to keep violent monsters locked up....and when they are released, more innocents suffer and die...

Only weeks after his parole conditions were lifted by the state of California and he was released to society, a 67-year-old convicted murderer in Los Angeles who killed a woman in 1982 was charged with the stabbing murder of another woman.

According to court documents, Eddie Allen Harris murdered a woman in South Los Angeles on March 23.

“According to LAPD, officers responded to E. 59th Place & South Main Street in south Los Angeles at around 5:30 a.m., where they found a deceased Black woman in an alley with lacerations across her body,” FOX 11 reported. Citing court documents, FOX 11 noted that in 1982, “Harris was convicted of murdering another woman in Los Angeles County.” Harris “raped and stabbed a woman to death before leaving her body in an alley.”

Police arrested Harris on April 8.

The state granted Harris parole in 2018 after over 30 years in prison. His parole conditions were terminated this year.

While I do not place the blame on Democrats after trump signed watering down sentencing guidelines that release prisoners. I do support the death penalty. When carried out, a predator of society found, identified, tried, convicted and sentenced will never, ever strike again. The success rate is 100% as a preventative measure and recidivism is uniformly 0%.

Was this guy a Federal Prisoner? Because if he wasn't anything Trump did wouldn't impact him at all.

He was a State prisoner, and State policies are what led to him being released.

This is why I support the death penalty.......you can never trust the government, in particular, the democrat party, to keep violent monsters locked up....and when they are released, more innocents suffer and die...

Only weeks after his parole conditions were lifted by the state of California and he was released to society, a 67-year-old convicted murderer in Los Angeles who killed a woman in 1982 was charged with the stabbing murder of another woman.

According to court documents, Eddie Allen Harris murdered a woman in South Los Angeles on March 23.

“According to LAPD, officers responded to E. 59th Place & South Main Street in south Los Angeles at around 5:30 a.m., where they found a deceased Black woman in an alley with lacerations across her body,” FOX 11 reported. Citing court documents, FOX 11 noted that in 1982, “Harris was convicted of murdering another woman in Los Angeles County.” Harris “raped and stabbed a woman to death before leaving her body in an alley.”

The state granted Harris parole in 2018 after over 30 years in prison. His parole conditions were terminated this year.

While I do not place the blame on Democrats after trump signed watering down sentencing guidelines that release prisoners. I do support the death penalty. When carried out, a predator of society found, identified, tried, convicted and sentenced will never, ever strike again. The success rate is 100% as a preventative measure and recidivism is uniformly 0%.

Was this guy a Federal Prisoner? Because if he wasn't anything Trump did wouldn't impact him at all.

Whenever Feds liberalize their sentencing guidelines you can count on states following suit. If tightening, maybe, maybe not.

Whenever Feds liberalize their sentencing guidelines you can count on states following suit. If tightening, maybe, maybe not.

No relation between the two. Are you really saying California changed their parole and sentencing rules because Trump advocated for it in the Federal system?

This is pretty lame attempted Trump linking, even for you.

No relation between the two. Are you really saying California changed their parole and sentencing rules because Trump advocated for it in the Federal system?

It would be just like them to use any excuse for a liberal policy change. But, in the end, all states are responsible for their policies, whether they are irresponsible policies or not. Don't waste your time and phony outrage on me, getting your feelings hurt. You know it is true.
In this case, remember, it was California. As far as I can remember, California has always been somewhat, to extremely liberal crazy for as long as I can remember, no matter who was in the state house. It is just how they are and have been, going at least back to the 60s war protests.

It would be just like them to use any excuse for a liberal policy change. But, in the end, all states are responsible for their policies, whether they are irresponsible policies or not. Don't waste your time and phony outrage on me, getting your feelings hurt. You know it is true.
In this case, remember, it was California. As far as I can remember, California has always been somewhat, to extremely liberal crazy for as long as I can remember, no matter who was in the state house. It is just how they are and have been, going at least back to the 60s war protests.

You were trying to somehow link this to Trump and failing miserably. You got called out, and now you are bitching.

You could have just commented on it as a separate issue but your TDS compelled you to somehow get Trump involved in the blame.

You were trying to somehow link this to Trump and failing miserably. You got called out, and now you are bitching.

You could have just commented on it as a separate issue but your TDS compelled you to somehow get Trump involved in the blame.
Not bitching, just not buying your weak attack line.

What attack line?

Calling you out for a weak attempt at blaming Trump for this isn't attacking.

What attack line?

I just pointed out trump made a big deal of lowering sentencing standards at Federal level too, pretty much negating any law and order rightwing soap box position, even going as far as attacking his opponent for harsh standards in place. His was just a failed attempt to get the low intellect criminal support element vote, which he failed to do in numbers that would help. I suspect the same motivation in state level politics, as I certainly see no correlative reduction in crime for sentence reduction, or even reduction in costs. So, failing a right vs left thing or republican vs democrat thing, I look at history, cause and effect. I rarely miss and opportunity for taking pot shots at both sides for trying the same thing and unfortunately achieving the same results. Part of the fun of being Independent is rejection of the bullsh#t from both of the opposing sides.;)

What attack line?

I just pointed out trump made a big deal of lowering sentencing standards at Federal level too, pretty much negating any law and order rightwing soap box position, even going as far as attacking his opponent for harsh standards in place. His was just a failed attempt to get the low intellect criminal support element vote, which he failed to do in numbers that would help. I suspect the same motivation in state level politics, as I certainly see no correlative reduction in crime for sentence reduction, or even reduction in costs. So, failing a right vs left thing or republican vs democrat thing, I look at history, cause and effect. I rarely miss and opportunity for taking pot shots at both sides for trying the same thing and unfortunately achieving the same results. Part of the fun of being Independent is rejection of the bullsh#t from both of the opposing sides.;)

Even some on the right have said federal sentencing guidelines are overly draconian, mostly for non-violent drug offenses.

This guy was a murderer who murdered again when let out.

What attack line?

Even some on the right have said federal sentencing guidelines are overly draconian, mostly for non-violent drug offenses.

This guy was a murderer who murdered again when let out.
California. Jeesh! At least he killed somebody in California. Guess he liked the accommodations and retirement plan.

Except it doesn't. DP states have just as high a murder rate as non-DP states. The US has a much higher murder rate than countries that have abolished the death penalty.

It's not a deterrent.

We've had to let 164 people off of death row because they didn't do what they were accused of. 16 here in Illinois before Governor Ryan had to commute all the death sentences because the system was so flawed.

And yet....if this murderer had been put to death, this woman would still be alive.

Gov. Ryan commuted those sentences because he was facing charges in an investigation where his people were selling drivers licences for cash...and he himself was facing prison time....you lying sack of shit...so he was trying to buy sympathy from dumb democrats in Illinois..

Scandals, trial, and conviction[edit]
Ryan's political career was marred by a scandal called "Operation Safe Road", which involved the illegal sale of government licenses, contracts and leases by state employees during his prior service as Secretary of State. In the wake of numerous convictions of his former aides, he chose not to run for reelection in 2002. Seventy-nine former state officials, lobbyists, and others were charged in the investigation, and at least 76 were convicted.[citation needed]

The corruption scandal leading to Ryan's downfall began more than a decade earlier during a federal investigation into a deadly crash in Wisconsin. Six children from the Willis family of Chicago, Illinois, were killed; their parents, Rev. Duane and Janet Willis, were severely burned.[30] The investigation revealed a scheme inside Ryan's Secretary of State's office in which unqualified truck drivers obtained licenses through bribes.

In March 2003, Scott Fawell, Ryan's former chief of staff and campaign manager, was convicted on federal charges of racketeering and fraud. He was sentenced to six years and six months.[31] Former deputy campaign manager Richard Juliano pleaded guilty to related charges and testified against Fawell at trial. Roger Stanley, a former Republican state representative who was hired by Ryan and testified against Fawell, pleaded guilty to wide-ranging corruption, admitting he paid kickbacks to win state contracts and campaign business, secretly mailed out vicious false attacks on political opponents and helped obtain ghost-payrolling jobs.[32]

Indictment[edit]
The investigation finally reached the former governor, and in December 2003, Ryan and lobbyist Lawrence Warner were named in a 22-count federal indictment. The charges included racketeering, bribery, extortion, money laundering and tax fraud. The indictment alleged that Ryan steered several state contracts to Warner and other friends; disbursed campaign funds to relatives and to pay personal expenses; and obstructed justice by attempting to end the state investigation of the license-for-bribes scandal. He was charged with lying to investigators and accepting cash, gifts and loans in return for his official actions as governor. On September 19, 2005, the case went to trial.[33]

Fawell, under pressure from prosecutors, became a key witness against Ryan and Warner. He agreed to a plea deal that cut the prison time for himself and his fiancée, Andrea Coutretsis. Fawell was a controversial witness, not hiding his disdain for prosecutors from the witness stand. According to CBS Chicago political editor Mike Flannery, insiders claimed that Fawell had been "much like a son" to Ryan throughout their careers. At Ryan's trial, Fawell acknowledged that the prosecution had his "head in a vise", and that he found his cooperation with the government against Ryan "the most distasteful thing I've ever done".[31] Nonetheless, he spent several days on the witness stand testifying against Ryan and Warner. Once a tough-talking political strategist, Fawell wept on the witness stand as he acknowledged that his motivation for testifying was to spare Coutretsis a long prison sentence for her role in the conspiracy. The jury was twice sent out of the courtroom so that he could wipe tears from his eyes and regain his composure.

Ryan's daughters and a son-in-law, Michael Fairman, were implicated by testimony during the trial. Stipulations agreed upon by the defense and prosecution and submitted to the court included admissions that all five of Ryan's daughters received illegal payments from the Ryan campaign. In addition to Lynda Fairman, who received funds beyond those her husband Michael testified he had received, the stipulations included admissions from the rest of Ryan's daughters that they did little or no work in return for the payments.[34][35] In addition, Fawell testified that Ryan's mother's housekeeper was illegally paid from campaign funds, and that Ryan's adopted sister, Nancy Ferguson, received campaign funds without performing campaign work.[11][34] The prosecution took nearly four months to present their case, as a parade of other witnesses (including Juliano) followed Fawell.

Because they always have some last hope that their execution will be halted by the Governor. In fact that just happened in my state. Our Republican back stabbing Governor stopped three executions thus far. That idiot Kasich did the same when he was Governor.

By your own testimony the death penalty nor prisons work. Do you see why it's up to the law abiding citizen to be armed in this country?

Nope that doesn't work either, since a gun is 43 times more likely to kill a family member than a bad guy.

What we need to do is address issues like addiction, poverty, racism, mental illness.... that's how we reduce crime. This is what the Europeans have done, and they have nowhere near our crime rates.

The point is, the additional security measures taken to guard a Death Row inmate so he doesn't take out a few guards on the way out would make it prohibitively expensive if you applied it to all the darkies... um, sorry, I mean, all the "criminals"

Forum List

Back