Why the death penalty? 67 year old murderer, released on parole, murders a woman with a knife.

I don't oppose the death penalty out of any "sanctity of life"...but because it's problematic. People who can afford slick lawyers get off but poor people get sent to death row. It's biased racially in it's application as well, and the truth is - no matter how "sure" we are of the evidence - innocent people get convicted and once dead, there is no coming back. Well in theory anyway :lol:

There ARE certain crimes and criminals where I would have no problem seeing the perpetrator die, the worst of the worst - not by any means every murder - but I couldn't support as long as the flaws in the system exist.

There really are no flaws in the system any longer. As I said technology has guaranteed that. The cases of people falsely convicted were from years ago. It's not racially biased either. People will no money can't afford a good attorney no matter what race they are. But if a person is truly guilty of murder, it doesn't matter how good their attorney is because the evidence is overwhelming.

With capital punishment, we either have it or we don't. If we don't, that 16 year old being tortured and murdered gets tossed right out the window with all death penalty cases. Then when you look at your state tax deductions on your pay stub, you know that some of that money is going to feed, house and provide medical care to such a person.
What we need is more help for regular people And how about a good mental health system for crying about? No sacrifice is too great to save the greedy idiot GOP brainwashing rich from paying their fair share....

What we need is more help for regular people And how about a good mental health system for crying about? No sacrifice is too great to save the greedy idiot GOP brainwashing rich from paying their fair share....

Our most famous rich people are all Democrats, and the commies make sure when they raise taxes, they write plenty of loopholes in it for them so they don't have to pay those higher taxes.

Where we could get money from is stopping Democrats from writing multi-trillion dollar pork bills and calling them something else like covid relief and infrastructure when a small percentage of that money goes for either.

What if they're innocent?

If they are innocent, they are guilty of other things they didn't get caught for. When police look for a suspect, they don't drive to Joe Blow's house, a guy who never had so much as an outstanding parking ticket in his life, and arrest him for murder while he's doing his gardening. In most cases they have a pretty good idea who they are looking for.

30 years ago, yes, you could say some may have been innocent. But anybody convicted of murder the last 20 years or so did it. With all the video recorders we have today, our advanced forensic science, it's almost impossible to get the wrong guy. Years ago, all you needed was a witness to state they seen the murder.

Plus I will say that any murder with empirical evidence should only get the death penalty. Video, DNA, shoe prints, those kinds of things.

So...what you're saying is no matter what they're guilty of something and should die for it? Sheesh Ray!

No. I oppose the death penalty because it's unequal and fallible. Life in prison with no parol instead.

What part of "no parole" is not a guarantee do you not understand....?

I don't oppose the death penalty out of any "sanctity of life"...but because it's problematic. People who can afford slick lawyers get off but poor people get sent to death row. It's biased racially in it's application as well, and the truth is - no matter how "sure" we are of the evidence - innocent people get convicted and once dead, there is no coming back. Well in theory anyway :lol:

There ARE certain crimes and criminals where I would have no problem seeing the perpetrator die, the worst of the worst - not by any means every murder - but I couldn't support as long as the flaws in the system exist.

There really are no flaws in the system any longer. As I said technology has guaranteed that. The cases of people falsely convicted were from years ago. It's not racially biased either. People will no money can't afford a good attorney no matter what race they are. But if a person is truly guilty of murder, it doesn't matter how good their attorney is because the evidence is overwhelming.

With capital punishment, we either have it or we don't. If we don't, that 16 year old being tortured and murdered gets tossed right out the window with all death penalty cases. Then when you look at your state tax deductions on your pay stub, you know that some of that money is going to feed, house and provide medical care to such a person.

The rich pay more than their fair share as tax revenue breakdown shows....

The rich pay more than their fair share as tax revenue breakdown shows....
Only your garbage propaganda version. We didn't get the worst inequality in our history by fooling around. We have a flat tax system if you count all taxes. All you know about is federal income taxes our only progressive tax.

This is why I support the death penalty.......you can never trust the government, in particular, the democrat party, to keep violent monsters locked up....and when they are released, more innocents suffer and die...

Yeah, you trust the government kill people but not to keep them locked up?

Does this make sense to anyone here?

Were you asleep when IL had to abolish the DP because they were sending too many innocent people to death Row? I wasn't.

This is why I support the death penalty.......you can never trust the government, in particular, the democrat party, to keep violent monsters locked up....and when they are released, more innocents suffer and die...

Only weeks after his parole conditions were lifted by the state of California and he was released to society, a 67-year-old convicted murderer in Los Angeles who killed a woman in 1982 was charged with the stabbing murder of another woman.

What you leave out of the story was that he was released 3 years ago, not last week. The only thing that happened was his parole ended. He spent 36 years in prison for the 1982 murder.

The median time most murderers spend in jail is 13 years.

Those of you familiar with the grizzly "Son of Sam" killer know about the reign of terror he inflicted upon New York City back in the late 70s. What you don't know is that David Berkowicz is a redeemed disciple of Jesus Christ, saved, forgiven of his Sin, and Heaven bound not by anything he did, but only by God's grace and mercy. He even admits he is totally incapable of redeeming himself, and must rely on God every moment of his life. I believe it is one of the reasons why he REJECTS parole every time it's offered.

That and no one would ever give him parole after committing six murders.

Those of you familiar with the grizzly "Son of Sam" killer know about the reign of terror he inflicted upon New York City back in the late 70s. What you don't know is that David Berkowicz is a redeemed disciple of Jesus Christ, saved, forgiven of his Sin, and Heaven bound not by anything he did, but only by God's grace and mercy. He even admits he is totally incapable of redeeming himself, and must rely on God every moment of his life. I believe it is one of the reasons why he REJECTS parole every time it's offered.

That and no one would ever give him parole after committing six murders.
No. He was offered. He turns it down every time.

While I do not place the blame on Democrats after trump signed watering down sentencing guidelines that release prisoners. I do support the death penalty. When carried out, a predator of society found, identified, tried, convicted and sentenced will never, ever strike again. The success rate is 100% as a preventative measure and recidivism is uniformly 0%.
Well, proof you aren't completely whacked out. I do agree and the thought of some irredeemable monster
spending all his years in a place with three squares a day, a t.v. and gym, etc. on the taxpayers dime
makes me nauseous.
Show me a state, like California (and Washington, to be fair) that will never ever execute it's most grotesquely twisted sadistic killers and I'll show you a state in the hands of dangerously misguided fools.
Never forget a system that allowed a monster like Larry Singleton to be paroled so he could torture
and murder again.

Well, proof you aren't completely whacked out. I do agree and the thought of some irredeemable monster
spending all his years in a place with three squares a day, a t.v. and gym, etc. on the taxpayers dime
makes me nauseous.
Show me a state, like California (and Washington, to be fair) that will never ever execute it's most grotesquely twisted sadistic killers and I'll show you a state in the hands of dangerously misguided fools.
Never forget a system that allowed a monster like Larry Singleton to be paroled so he could torture
and murder again.

Two issues.

First, we complain about how some guys get out of prison and do worse things, but does it occur to you that when you brutalize a person for years, some of them ARE going to get worse? If I threw you in prison for 10 years, you wouldn't be a better person, either.

Second, if you start executing more people, eventually, you'll execute someone innocent by mistake. We've already released 164 people from Death Row who were innocent. We've probably executed innocent people. It's an unacceptable risk.

So? This is not a dodge. His conversion was genuine. You have to be blind as a bat not to see it.

I'm sure a lot of these assholes find "Jesus" in prison. So what?
He also said that he was getting orders from a talking Dog. Of course, he wasn't. It was a scam to get an insanity plea. This is just another scam.
Your problem is that you are not born again and cannot see the transforming power of God.

First, we complain about how some guys get out of prison and do worse things, but does it occur to you that when you brutalize a person for years, some of them ARE going to get worse? If I threw you in prison for 10 years, you wouldn't be a better person, either.

Prison is not for making a person better. Prison is not for rehabilitation. Prison is not to learn a trade. Prison is punishment for a crime committed, and to keep a person away from the general public for our safety.

Two issues.

Has it occurred to you that the man who raped, chopped off the arms of an abducted woman he strangled and left on the side of the road for dead could not possibly come out of prison worse then when he went it?
Probably not.
These inmates in the California Correctional facilities are not being locked in medieval dungeons and tortured
daily with whips, racks and all sorts of sadistic devices and then tossed into their rat infested cells where they
are given maggot infested gruel for their only meal of the day to try and choke down.

They have libraries, weight rooms, exercise yards outdoors, they see movies and television. They have visitors
if anyone wants to chat with a deranged killer like Larry Singleton, for some unknown warped or
idealistic reason.

And by God, this man didn't come out of prison worse than when he went in. He was paroled, moved to
Florida and stabbed to death a woman he met there.

Who are the people that thought Larry Singleton was rehabilitated? Who testified on his behalf to the
California Department of Corrections and who gave this monster another chance to murder?
The idea that you can rehabilitate one of the sickest criminals ever to come out of California is a non
starter from the word go. Better we put members of the parole board in prison with him.

Second, if you start executing more people, eventually, you'll execute someone innocent by mistake. We've already released 164 people from Death Row who were innocent. We've probably executed innocent people. It's an unacceptable risk.
And how many people that we released from prison killed, raped and tortured again? I'm willing to accept those 164 people set free as a testament to the fact that we make mistakes
sometimes but eventually get things right.
How about the Florida woman who was stabbed to death by Larry Singleton? How comes their lives don't
seem to count for much?

Only weeks after his parole conditions were lifted by the state of California and he was released to society, a 67-year-old convicted murderer in Los Angeles who killed a woman in 1982 was charged with the stabbing murder of another woman.

What you leave out of the story was that he was released 3 years ago, not last week. The only thing that happened was his parole ended. He spent 36 years in prison for the 1982 murder.

The median time most murderers spend in jail is 13 years.

And then he got out and murdered someone else.......you moron.......had he been put to death, the woman would still be alive.

Forum List

Back