Why The 2016 Election Will Be One Of The Most Pivotal Moments Of Our Time

Oct 21, 2016
This is an excellent article by historian Sean Wilentz about the 2016 election that appeared in Rolling Stone a few months ago.

More than 150 years ago, in 1858, as the national crisis over slavery heightened, Abraham Lincoln famously remarked that "a house divided against itself cannot stand," and that the "crisis" would be "reached and passed" only when the house divided would "become all one thing or all the other."

This is also true in the year 2016. Either Trump and dangerous right-wing extremism will take full control of this country permanently...or the modern version of the Republican Party never controls the White House again and this country takes a small but significant progressive step forward. The house divided will become all one thing or all the other.

Why the 2016 Election Will Be One of the Pivotal Moments of Our Time - Rolling Stone

When you make an outright racist president, you set up terrible possible circumstances. They are rather obvious.

This is an excellent article by historian Sean Wilentz about the 2016 election that appeared in Rolling Stone a few months ago.

More than 150 years ago, in 1858, as the national crisis over slavery heightened, Abraham Lincoln famously remarked that "a house divided against itself cannot stand," and that the "crisis" would be "reached and passed" only when the house divided would "become all one thing or all the other."

This is also true in the year 2016. Either Trump and dangerous right-wing extremism will take full control of this country permanently...or the modern version of the Republican Party never controls the White House again and this country takes a small but significant progressive step forward. The house divided will become all one thing or all the other.

Why the 2016 Election Will Be One of the Pivotal Moments of Our Time - Rolling Stone

I think the 2000 election was that. And the US chose Gore and the Supreme Court chose Bush and it turns out Bush was bad, and has screwed the US quite badly, and made the world a much less safe place.

This looks like the beginning of a great liberal circle-jerk thread.

Can I butt in and say that Hillary Clinton would be first person elected President while under a criminal investigation?

You may now commence with your spewing.

My hope is that the weakness of both of these presidential candidates will lead to a congress that gets its act together, knocks off bickering, steps up and takes back power previously ceded to the presidency.

This looks like the beginning of a great liberal circle-jerk thread.

Can I butt in and say that Hillary Clinton would be first person elected President while under a criminal investigation?

You may now commence with your spewing.

Well maybe if the Republicans had put up a suitable candidate, she wouldn't be elected.

My hope is that the weakness of both of these presidential candidates will lead to a congress that gets its act together, knocks off bickering, steps up and takes back power previously ceded to the presidency.

Or changes the political system so people take back the power they ceded to the rich elite. But hey, it's not going to happen, is it?

• Banned

I think the 2000 election was that. And the US chose Gore and the Supreme Court chose Bush and it turns out Bush was bad, and has screwed the US quite badly, and made the world a much less safe place.

I agree to an extent. Bush was easily the worse President in this country's history, but he did not pose the same grave threat as Trump. Unlike Trump, Bush never talked about putting political opponents in jail or limiting freedom of the press. Unlike Trump, Bush was not an obvious racist endorsed by the KKK and he was not a threat to the existence of democracy itself in this country.

I agree to an extent. Bush was easily the worse President in this country's history, but he did not pose the same grave threat as Trump. Unlike Trump, Bush never talked about putting political opponents in jail or limiting freedom of the press. Unlike Trump, Bush was not an obvious racist endorsed by the KKK and he was not a threat to the existence of democracy itself in this country.

No, but then Bush was the quiet guy who allowed others to act in his name. Trump is more the loud dog whose bark might be (who knows?) worse than his bite. In itself that is a problem, look at the Philippines' president, for example.

Trump is an unknown, and hopefully will stay so, but Bush turned the US in the United States of Halliburton.

No, but then Bush was the quiet guy who allowed others to act in his name. Trump is more the loud dog whose bark might be (who knows?) worse than his bite. In itself that is a problem, look at the Philippines' president, for example.

Trump is an unknown, and hopefully will stay so, but Bush turned the US in the United States of Halliburton.

Excellent points, I can't argue with them. Bush did everything he could to corporatize the Federal Government. I read Robert Kennedy Jr's Crimes Against Nature a few years ago about how Bush wrecked the EPA and the Dept of Interior, installing corporate stooges to run these agencies on behalf of Big Oil and Big Coal. I have no illusions about how terrible Bush was.

It's depressing that we actually have to contemplate a Republican President worse than Bush.

Anyway, it's an excellent article to read.

Excellent points, I can't argue with them. Bush did everything he could to corporatize the Federal Government. I read Robert Kennedy Jr's Crimes Against Nature a few years ago about how Bush wrecked the EPA and the Dept of Interior, installing corporate stooges to run these agencies on behalf of Big Oil and Big Coal. I have no illusions about how terrible Bush was.

It's depressing that we actually have to contemplate a Republican President worse than Bush.

Yeah. I don't know whether Trump would be worse than Bush, it'd take a lot of doing and I just don't think Trump has it in him to put that much effort in to being that bad. I could be wrong though.

Yeah. I don't know whether Trump would be worse than Bush, it'd take a lot of doing and I just don't think Trump has it in him to put that much effort in to being that bad. I could be wrong though.

When you make an outright racist president, you set up terrible possible circumstances. They are rather obvious.
Don't worry. She'll lose.

Fortunately, there aren't enough racist Rush Limbaugh cartoon characters such as yourself to win this election for Trump.

New Topics

Forum List

Back