Why should immigrants in America learn english?

Jennifer.Bush

Aug 6, 2006
My point is that if they live in a community that is strictly there native tounge then what is the point. I'm not saying that someone who speaks some ancient dialect that no one knows shouldn't learn english of course they should. But like my example before in the other thread. Quebec a strictly french province where alot of them only speak french. They have there own hospitals, there own goverment buildings taht all use the french language. French schools and also the option for these students to go to English schools, if they so choose. They have no reason to speak english cause all there daily lives are spent using french. Why would they go thru the stress of learning a language that is described as one of the hardest to learn, this is a known fact. So if a person who will rarely use english what is the point of making them learn. Does someone in a striclty mexican town in southern texas affect the way you are living in Jersey? No it dosn't. If the person is content doing there job, living there life the way it is, then who are we to enforce that they speak english. You mentioned before about Voting, parking, drivers test. Signs are fairly universal, that was the point of them, so that people who can't read the sign understand what it means. You put up a stop sign up in Arabic, people are still going to know what it means. How hard is it to change the computer voting screen to spanish, matter of fact, all I have to do is go to control panel and language settings and boom, Its a spanish computer. How hard is it to make the drivers test spanish or any other government form. If there is no nessisty for them to learn english then who are we to oppose that on them. what difference does it make to you, if Juan is only speaking spanish, it in no way shape or form affects your life.

thoughts on this qoute?

Why should immigrants in America learn English??

Well if they are here legally, perhaps to actually earn a living so their families can eat??? I know that sounds kooky, but eating is kind of important :)

Why should immigrants in America learn English??

Well if they are here legally, perhaps to actually earn a living so their families can eat??? I know that sounds kooky, but eating is kind of important :)

And if I yell " LOOK OUT "---maybe that big-ass truck won't hit em while they have that "deer caught in the headlights'" look.

Said1 said:
Quebec does. Or at least they try to legislate language as much as humanly possible.
I know, those people are riddiculous. I half hope that they go off and form a new country.

dilloduck said:
Who is going to decide what language textbooks are printed in?
Well in an ideal world the individual schools and communities. You can print textbooks in multiple languages, but ultimately the schools have the prerogative in deciding the language of the classroom. Plus anyone with half a brain knows that in America you need to speak English, and either you learn it or you make sure your kids learn it.

I know, those people are riddiculous. I half hope that they go off and form a new country.

Well in an ideal world the individual schools and communities. You can print textbooks in multiple languages, but ultimately the schools have the prerogative in deciding the language of the classroom. Plus anyone with half a brain knows that in America you need to speak English, and either you learn it or you make sure your kids learn it.

Then lets encourage immigrants to use thier brain and make things happen in English. If they wanna be a part of what's happening, they learn English.

They won't. Their status as a province protects them from things they wouldn't be able to pull off under NAFTA or WTO membership. As it stands right now, they're as independant as they can get with out actually voting oui ie: control of their immigration policy, tax policy etc, etc. They even have language poooolice. :bs1:

Said1 said:
They won't. Their status as a province protects them from things they wouldn't be able to pull off under NAFTA or WTO membership. As it stands right now, they're as independant as they can get with out actually voting oui ie: control of their immigration policy, tax policy etc, etc. They even have language poooolice.
I know. It's a pretty sweet system they've got going on.

dilloduck said:
Then lets encourage immigrants to use thier brain and make things happen in English. If they wanna be a part of what's happening, they learn English.
They need to learn English, but we don't need to give the government the power to decide what languages you can and cannot use in the public square.

I know. It's a pretty sweet system they've got going on.

They need to learn English, but we don't need to give the government the power to decide what languages you can and cannot use in the public square.
Yeah, the government can decide the rules of immigration. They really can, they just haven't. They place lots of restrictions on those wishing to come from Eastern Europe, people for the most part that agree with American ideals.

Kathianne said:
Yeah, the government can decide the rules of immigration. They really can, they just haven't. They place lots of restrictions on those wishing to come from Eastern Europe, people for the most part that agree with American ideals.
I know, Congress wields pretty much absolute power in all matters immigration, but I don't want to see the government getting into the language business. I doubt the Founders intended English proficiency to be a possible regulation of immigration.

I know, Congress wields pretty much absolute power in all matters immigration, but I don't want to see the government getting into the language business. I doubt the Founders intended English proficiency to be a possible regulation of immigration.

And you think that based on what?

My point is that if they live in a community that is strictly there native tounge then what is the point. I'm not saying that someone who speaks some ancient dialect that no one knows shouldn't learn english of course they should. But like my example before in the other thread. Quebec a strictly french province where alot of them only speak french. They have there own hospitals, there own goverment buildings taht all use the french language. French schools and also the option for these students to go to English schools, if they so choose. They have no reason to speak english cause all there daily lives are spent using french. Why would they go thru the stress of learning a language that is described as one of the hardest to learn, this is a known fact. So if a person who will rarely use english what is the point of making them learn. Does someone in a striclty mexican town in southern texas affect the way you are living in Jersey? No it dosn't. If the person is content doing there job, living there life the way it is, then who are we to enforce that they speak english. You mentioned before about Voting, parking, drivers test. Signs are fairly universal, that was the point of them, so that people who can't read the sign understand what it means. You put up a stop sign up in Arabic, people are still going to know what it means. How hard is it to change the computer voting screen to spanish, matter of fact, all I have to do is go to control panel and language settings and boom, Its a spanish computer. How hard is it to make the drivers test spanish or any other government form. If there is no nessisty for them to learn english then who are we to oppose that on them. what difference does it make to you, if Juan is only speaking spanish, it in no way shape or form affects your life.

thoughts on this qoute?

My thought on the quote:
I wouldn't take language advice from someone who doesn't know the difference between "their" and "there". :huh:

We the people make the laws by voting into office those who write, repeal or otherwise alter them. We, the registered to vote because we are legal citizens people are without a doubt overwhelmingly speak English as a first language.

I find the original question absurd, followed only by your responses. Why is it that you lefty-types think the majority suffering the tyranny of the minority, and in this case illegal minority, to be "right?" I just don't get the backwards-assed thinking.

Forum List

Back