Why Obama advocates can't afford to make a big deal about Mormon candidates

Amelia

Rookie
Feb 14, 2011
Packerland!
Why pro-Obama forces on the campaign trail, in the media, in backroom strategy meetings, etc. can't afford to dissect Romney's religion as a way to discredit him:

A. Harry Reid

I'd say it should be off-limits since Jeremiah Wright's sermons were. That wouldn't be enough to stop Democratic strategists two-facedness though.

But Harry Reid being Mormon will.

They can't afford to undermine the leader of the Senate.

I'm atheist. I don't care about their religion as long as it stays in their house.

Since when do we have to keep religion in our homes? This is the United States of America. We have the right to express our faith publicly. And I will oppose anyone who says otherwise.

• Banned
we dont care.

its the right that uses religion as a litmus test

Some of the people who don't want a Mormon running are now saying that if he gets the nomination the way the left will trash him is by dissecting the Mormon religion.

I think the people on the national level are smart enough to see the error of that strategy. So -- as you say -- I don't think it will matter. It's just something that anti-Mormons are pulling out of their quiver now to try to scare people off from supporting Romney.

I'm atheist. I don't care about their religion as long as it stays in their house.

Since when do we have to keep religion in our homes? This is the United States of America. We have the right to express our faith publicly. And I will oppose anyone who says otherwise.

I'll reiterate just for you.

I don't want his personal religion influencing his decision making on any scale. I don't care who it is, or what they stand for.

Hence the "stay at home" statement.

Not to physically keep his beliefs at home.

Otherwise this country would become nothing more than another Saudi Arabia/Iran.

Really? What does this mean? I have to hide?

Sorry, I kinda get what you are saying... but I think we shouldn't have to pretend while in public we're not Christian for fear of somehow offending Atheists.

Sorry, I kinda get what you are saying... but I think we shouldn't have to pretend while in public we're not Christian for fear of somehow offending Atheists.

Atheist is not a proper noun and is not capitalized, please do not. It's not a group, simply a state of belief.

For instance, atheists only believe in one less God than you do if you are Christian. And soft atheism is the disbelief in another's God.

Hopefully a little education goes a long way here. I have already stated my intended meaning on the subject.

Last edited:

I don't want his personal religion influencing his decision making on any scale. I don't care who it is, or what they stand for.

Otherwise this country would become nothing more than another Saudi Arabia/Iran.

you cannot separate a man from his beliefs....

if his beliefs are not compatible with the U.S. Constitution.....then you have a beef about the man and his religion...

Atheist is not a proper noun and is not capitalized, please do not. It's not a group, simply a state of belief.

For instance, atheists only believe in one less God than you do if you are Christian. And soft atheism is the disbelief in another's God.

Hopefully a little education goes a long way here. I have already stated my intended meaning on the subject.

Hmmm.. okay then. No more questions....

:lol:

if his beliefs are not compatible with the U.S. Constitution.....then you have a beef about the man and his religion...

Careful... you'll make Photoplasm's head explode.

:blowup:

Who said anything about separating him from his beliefs? I certainly didn't. Not unless you advocate for him to introduce his beliefs into his decision making that affects our country.

Make a big deal of it? Heck, I've been waiting to be an extra wife of Mitten's since the last Republican primary.

That hair of his isn't going to look pretty forever.

:eusa_hand:

Why pro-Obama forces on the campaign trail, in the media, in backroom strategy meetings, etc. can't afford to dissect Romney's religion as a way to discredit him:

A. Harry Reid

I'd say it should be off-limits since Jeremiah Wright's sermons were. That wouldn't be enough to stop Democratic strategists two-facedness though.

Are you REALLY this stupid? When was the last time anyone in the Democratic party made a comment that Romney's religion is an issue? If you recall during the campaign leading up to the 2008 election, it was the GOP who made it an issue. So much so, that Romeny felt the need to dedicate a whole speech to it.

Then I suppose it would be wise to check out Romney and Huntsman's belief, assuming they are active and faithful Mormons:

A Declaration of Belief on Religion and Government

76 And again I say unto you, those who have been scattered by their enemies, it is my will that they should continue to importune for redress, and redemption, by the hands of those who are placed as rulers and are in authority over you—

77 According to the laws and constitution of the people, which I have suffered to be established, and should be maintained for the rights and protection of all flesh, according to just and holy principles;

78 That every man may act in doctrine and principle pertaining to futurity, according to the moral agency which I have given unto him, that every man may be accountable for his own sins in the day of judgment.

79 Therefore, it is not right that any man should be in bondage one to another.

80 And for this purpose have I established the Constitution of this land, by the hands of wise men whom I raised up unto this very purpose, and redeemed the land by the shedding of blood.(D&C 101:76-80 )

A belief that the Constitution is established of God (Which it is) is a good belief. Because those who believe that will strive to uphold it.

Oh, and i dont think the Obama campaign would fail to use a weapon they have simply because of Harry Reid.

Make a big deal of it? Heck, I've been waiting to be an extra wife of Mitten's since the last Republican primary.

That hair of his isn't going to look pretty forever.

:eusa_hand:

You never know, it might.

A. Harry Reid

Are you REALLY this stupid? When was the last time anyone in the Democratic party made a comment that Romney's religion is an issue? If you recall during the campaign leading up to the 2008 election, it was the GOP who made it an issue. So much so, that Romeny felt the need to dedicate a whole speech to it.

I don't listen to all that many people in the Democrat party. Democrats on the grass roots / forum level seem to have a problem with some Christian denominations. And Maddow made it a point to ask Carter if Romney's religion would be a problem. Why was she talking about it? Not saying she or any one on the left posed it as something objectionable. Edit to add: I forgot - I have seen people on the left saying they would never vote for a Mormon because of how Mormons treated blacks.

But whatever they are saying in the venues I don't listen to, I don't understand why you ask if I'm stupid. I know what people are saying on my side. I'm mostly addressing them. My point is the powers that be won't make a deal about Romney's religion. Perhaps you haven't been reading the posts by people who say they will. Some on the right are suggesting the left will make a big deal out of it. Some on the right are doing this to try to convince Romney supporters that Romney will be another McCain.

McCain whom the New York Times endorsed for the Republican nomination and then went into overdrive to discredit after he won the nomination.

I'm sure that a lot of liberals who are now talking about Romney as the Republican who has the best chance against Obama will indeed start trash talking him after he wins the nomination. I'm just saying that contrary to what some on the right (and in the middle?) are saying, I don't think they will use his religion to do that.

If people on the editorial staff at MSNBC start talking about doing exposes on Mormonism - as some on the right are saying they will - I'd expect someone in the room to say, um, wait, that could backfire on us.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back