Why my cat does not like to sit in a box?

montree

Rookie
Mar 17, 2019
I found a lot of cat VDO clips, they do like to jump and fit themselves into a box. It's so cute.
I tried with my cat but he avoided the box rather than jump into it.
How can I train him to do such those VDO?

I always thought that cats that love boxes, are cats that were put in a box when they were first born.... Just something my own mind probably made up,

probably....to solve the question of why some cats like boxes and others do not?

My cat not only loves cardboard boxes to lay in, but she also loves to tear the cardboard apart, while sharpening her nails on it.

We don't even have to buy her a Christmas present... she is overwhelmed and thinks all the boxes from the hubby and my presents to each other, are presents we got for her!

Cats want to do what cats want to do.

If I put my cat on my lap, he doesn't want to be there.

If I ignore him, he wants to be in my lap.

Cats are like that, they do what they want, not what you want.

Some cats will sit in the middle a square of tape stuck to the floor. Cats are weird. I like them

If you live in a colder climate as I do and perfer the house in the low 60's for personal comfort I have found that putting a small space heater on a counter and setting it on low with a box top from a case of Friskies (or 2 if more than one cat) has the effect of always having a cat or 2,3, or 4 all cuddled up in the box tops every night and most of the days...might want to try that but even in the hot summer they seem to congregate to them....might also be the smell of the canned cat food is always present to their SUPER SNIFFERS!

Other thing is SOME of them simply LOVE the heat of the space heater....have one OLDER cat that will sit in the box all day if I put the heat up to high....sits about 4 inches from the heater fan and just keeps turning his head very slowly back and forth....almost looks like he is smiling always with his eyes shut.....weird but whatever makes them happy is OK with me!

Last edited:
I found a lot of cat VDO clips, they do like to jump and fit themselves into a box. It's so cute.
I tried with my cat but he avoided the box rather than jump into it.
How can I train him to do such those VDO?
Treats? Cats do what they want. I'm just happy mine doesnt' rip up any furniture, some do that.

I made a nice bed in a box for my stray and he ignored it. A round wicker thing I was going to throw out he took over and loves.

Good luck with your cat.

When I used to read newspapers Sunday morning many years ago, I'd spread it out on the floor, and every time my cat would lay right on the part I was reading. Every time. She could have laid on the other side very easily, but she had to be on the section I was reading. I actually would read something else just to let her stay there. They train us very well.

Introduce a capsule of Tritium in a fragile glass tube and your cat will willingly hop in the box...

Schr%C3%B6dingers-Cat-3.jpg

Last edited:
When I used to read newspapers Sunday morning many years ago, I'd spread it out on the floor, and every time my cat would lay right on the part I was reading. Every time. She could have laid on the other side very easily, but she had to be on the section I was reading. I actually would read something else just to let her stay there. They train us very well.
I'm a bit allergic to cats and this stray has found a home here. I thought he would tear up my place and was going to take him to a shelter. He is the friendliest and easiest cat to deal with ever, no scratching any furniture or anything. Guess he trained me lol. I'm lucky he is so easy to deal with, and I didn't expect it because he is a big tomcat stray. He is smart, knows his limits and is a great buddy, one of a kind. I'm trying to not overfeed him hes big.

Forum List

Back