CDZ Why More Americans Accept Gay Marriage Than Ever?

John Marston

Oct 23, 2014
Mesquite
Same-sex marriage has become a culturally accepted norm in American politics.
Support for Gay Marriage in America Is Rising - The Atlantic

You know what I`m think? All social reform movements have to shift the Overton window to make progress. The concept of different races mingling in public, or women voting, or animals having rights - all these are examples of issues where the Overton window has moved over time, so that positions which were once viewed as unthinkably radical have become the accepted wisdom, while those that were once considered mainstream are now outside the window, and unacceptable to advocate in mixed company.

The Overton window

What gives me pause is that those fighting for equal rights do not want to recognize or respect the rights of those who disagree with their social/political views. Just seems odd to me. It is certainly true that what is now the "norm" has dramatically changed in the last 50 or 60 years, but change is not always a good thing. And what once was has a way of becoming what will be.

To follow up, I am wondering this: When same sex marriage/gay rights were not accepted by the majority, voices cried out that the rights of the oppressed minority must be championed. And, that's ok I suppose. Given that, if it is true that the majority now support same sex marriage/gay rights, this means that those who do not have become the oppressed minority does it not? Will those same voices cry out for the rights of the oppressed minority now? It is just odd to me that in the US, political correctness has reached a state where the rights of everyone must be accepted. The chosen lifestyle of everyone must not only be accepted, but taught to our children as being "normal." Except the rights of Christians that is. It is now the "norm" that anyone/everyone can oppress the Christian Faith without fear of anything. Odd, truly odd.

Same-sex marriage has become a culturally accepted norm in American politics.
Support for Gay Marriage in America Is Rising - The Atlantic

You know what I`m think? All social reform movements have to shift the Overton window to make progress. The concept of different races mingling in public, or women voting, or animals having rights - all these are examples of issues where the Overton window has moved over time, so that positions which were once viewed as unthinkably radical have become the accepted wisdom, while those that were once considered mainstream are now outside the window, and unacceptable to advocate in mixed company.

The Overton window

Probably just realized what people they've never met, and are never gonna, do or who they marry is irrelevant. But forbidding it is obviously prejudicial since no one can demonstrate how it negatively effects anyone. The "it hurts their children" excuse isn't valid because not every couple who get married has children.

That might be a valid argument if it held true when compared to the Biblical concept of marriage. God made man and woman to become one for the purpose of procreation. Now, when same sex couples are able to procreate naturally, then they have a valid argument before man and God. Man did not establish the celebration of marriage, God did.

New Topics

Forum List

Back